Taking Protein Powder but not training.

Found 19th Apr
Hello, so I’ve been thinking of consuming protein powder due to the nature of how much grams it contains however I don’t train at home or gym in fact at all. The reason I’m thinking about this is the fact that my Skin is quite bad. I may be exaggerating but not by much. So I’ve talked with some friends and they tell me their diets consist of a lot of seafood. However all types of fish especially fresh cost a fortune (only a student). They told me to eat Tuna, eggs, beans and make a lentil curry for a cheaper alternate. I’ve tried these and felt my skin glowing and the dryness just faded as-well as it being soft. I never knew consuming protein on a daily basis would reap such benefits especially as I’ve been to a bucket load of doctors and tried various other methods. My problem is that a can of Tuna a day is my main protein source with each can containing 20g protein. However, I can’t think of many ways to consume it and it’s not exactly tasty. I’ve heard that protein powders contain a lot of well...protein and you can Chug a jug instantly although they usually taste god awful to. My question is...Is it bad to consume supplements/powders etc if I’m not training?
Community Updates
AskProtein
22 Comments
deleted396333
It's probably the fish oils not the protein that helped your dry skin.
its not the protein (very unlikely)
you have basically changed your diet to a healthier style and attributed that to protein?
most people meet and exceed their protein needs from normal (even western) diet by nearly double the requirement

1. I'm always against protein supplements and despite what supplement companies tell you the evidence for their benefit is rather poor
2. fresh fish is not better. in fact (think about it) frozen is better for you as it is frozen like few hours after being cought. now transport a fish from a sea side to your local supermarket, add storage time and then add display time.
3. same goes with veg, frozen is better in most cases (not even going to touch on the effect of oxidation etc)

in summary, healthy and varied diet will not only improve your skin but many other factors, eat meat, fish, veg and fruit in any form (if you cant afford it go for frozen, it is absolutely fine)

now waiting for princess
It depends - look for a low calorie protein mix as you don’t want a bulking one and end up putting on a load of weight.
Have a look on myprotein as thy are generally the cheapest.
a shake a day won't harm. you can eat a balanced protein rich diet without breaking the bank. ham eggs tuna aren't expensive. go well with pasta and rice
The fatty acids in fish oil supply hydration to your skin.

Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) in fish oil greatly benefits skin by regulating oil production to boost hydration.

It's also recommended to eat oily fish at least two to three times a week - salmon, trout, sardines and tuna.

However, fish oils are best taken orally so your body can extract the omega-3s to achieve healthy skin.

Would like to see the evidence with regards to taking protein though. Not heard that one before.

And if the tuna you're currently eating isn't tasting that fantastic as you say, have you tried it with mayonnaise? Doesn't have to be a brand one either. Supermarkets own would do just as well. Lidl and Aldi's are quite reasonably priced as well.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 19th Apr
mattsk8 m ago

its not the protein (very unlikely)you have basically changed your diet to …its not the protein (very unlikely)you have basically changed your diet to a healthier style and attributed that to protein?most people meet and exceed their protein needs from normal (even western) diet by nearly double the requirement1. I'm always against protein supplements and despite what supplement companies tell you the evidence for their benefit is rather poor2. fresh fish is not better. in fact (think about it) frozen is better for you as it is frozen like few hours after being cought. now transport a fish from a sea side to your local supermarket, add storage time and then add display time.3. same goes with veg, frozen is better in most cases (not even going to touch on the effect of oxidation etc)in summary, healthy and varied diet will not only improve your skin but many other factors, eat meat, fish, veg and fruit in any form (if you cant afford it go for frozen, it is absolutely fine)now waiting for princess

Yeah, and frozen food is usually cheaper too. Should also mean less waste as well.
LemonHead8 m ago

The fatty acids in fish oil supply hydration to your skin.Eicosapentaenoic …The fatty acids in fish oil supply hydration to your skin.Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) in fish oil greatly benefits skin by regulating oil production to boost hydration.It's also recommended to eat oily fish at least two to three times a week - salmon, trout, sardines and tuna.However, fish oils are best taken orally so your body can extract the omega-3s to achieve healthy skin.Would like to see the evidence with regards to taking protein though. Not heard that one before.And if the tuna you're currently eating isn't tasting that fantastic as you say, have you tried it with mayonnaise? Doesn't have to be a brand one either. Supermarkets own would do just as well. Lidl and Aldi's are quite reasonably priced as well.

out of curiosity what is your education if you don't mind me asking? nutrition, dietetics, medicine, pharma?
Just press the report button by accident. Meant to press refresh. Doh!!
Thanks everyone for your response and insight. Had a feeling there was something to do with the fish oils. Is it possible to get some form of healthy pills that contain the fish oil? Taking them would save me from doing all the above.
What's your general diet like? Heavily processed and sugary foods are known to cause skin issues and cause oily skin prone to spots.

Keep a food diary and plum it into my fitness pal and it will give you guidance on the breakdown of your choices.

Protein powders aren't all equal by the way. There are loads of different ones, whey, hemp, pea, rice etc.
Edited by: "darlodge" 19th Apr
Kas...21 m ago

Thanks everyone for your response and insight. Had a feeling there was …Thanks everyone for your response and insight. Had a feeling there was something to do with the fish oils. Is it possible to get some form of healthy pills that contain the fish oil? Taking them would save me from doing all the above.

Omega-3 fish oils, or any other fish oil will do as a supplement. But especially omega-3.

Try Zipvit, Simply Supplements, or Healthspan.

Something like this will do fine. A years supply is about £11.

I'm not an advocate of supplements normally though there is a lot of scientific evidence and benefits from taking omega-3.

All the above is recommended though. A varied diet is a healthy diet. And as a student you really need to make sure you eat well.
tbh there are SO many reasons why one’s skin might look or feel bad. I had really bad acne when I was in year 10 and it was because of all the oily and junk foods I would eat including sugary drinks. I wouldn’t exercise either and I would not even have a skin care routine. 5 years later I feel much more happy with my skin and it’s because I drink 5-6 bottles of water a day, completely stopped drinking sugary drinks, balancing my chocolate intake and eating dark chocolate more instead. also, I change my bed covers more regularly (especially pillow cases!). I take omega 3 6 9 (vegetarian and vegan) which I just buy the ones from the supermarket. also, my stress levels affect my skin too so I have learnt to control them. I don’t think you should solely focus on protein powder because of your skin; everyone’s skin is different you just need to work out what is right for you. if take protein powder without exercising what will happen is that it will convert into fat and remain in your stomach. you’ll look like you have a beer belly! tuna and salmon are very good source of protein. You should cook some vegetables, especially red onions and sweetcorn on a low heat using low fat oil spray and then add in the tuna or salmon and have it with wholemeal bread it tastes delicious, I like to add tomato sauce with it as well. it seems you’re a bit paranoid about everything?
deleted396333
mattsk50 m ago

out of curiosity what is your education if you don't mind me asking? …out of curiosity what is your education if you don't mind me asking? nutrition, dietetics, medicine, pharma?

Google.
deleted39633319th Apr

Google.

maybe but google university doesn't teach you this kind of stuff usually
Edited by: "mattsk" 19th Apr
darlodge4 h, 26 m ago

What's your general diet like? Heavily processed and sugary foods are …What's your general diet like? Heavily processed and sugary foods are known to cause skin issues and cause oily skin prone to spots.Keep a food diary and plum it into my fitness pal and it will give you guidance on the breakdown of your choices.Protein powders aren't all equal by the way. There are loads of different ones, whey, hemp, pea, rice etc.

Don’t eat much takeaway as I feel they taste like garbage a lot of the time and I’m just wasting money for food that makes me sick or goes in the bin. I’ll prob eat out once a month. I general stick with noodles and fruit for desert I guess. However I do tend to binge on snacks and it’s not weight I’m gaining but spots and other effects on my skin. I guess now it’s just a matter of if I don’t buy then I won’t be tempted.
trivium4 h, 14 m ago

tbh there are SO many reasons why one’s skin might look or feel bad. I had …tbh there are SO many reasons why one’s skin might look or feel bad. I had really bad acne when I was in year 10 and it was because of all the oily and junk foods I would eat including sugary drinks. I wouldn’t exercise either and I would not even have a skin care routine. 5 years later I feel much more happy with my skin and it’s because I drink 5-6 bottles of water a day, completely stopped drinking sugary drinks, balancing my chocolate intake and eating dark chocolate more instead. also, I change my bed covers more regularly (especially pillow cases!). I take omega 3 6 9 (vegetarian and vegan) which I just buy the ones from the supermarket. also, my stress levels affect my skin too so I have learnt to control them. I don’t think you should solely focus on protein powder because of your skin; everyone’s skin is different you just need to work out what is right for you. if take protein powder without exercising what will happen is that it will convert into fat and remain in your stomach. you’ll look like you have a beer belly! tuna and salmon are very good source of protein. You should cook some vegetables, especially red onions and sweetcorn on a low heat using low fat oil spray and then add in the tuna or salmon and have it with wholemeal bread it tastes delicious, I like to add tomato sauce with it as well. it seems you’re a bit paranoid about everything?

I’ve tried a lot of this except the diet tbh. I’ve tried it but could never stick with it. My main prob is meal planning. I feel it’s hard to find simple recipes that are quick and as a result I don’t bother.
If you are going to take protein powder supplements and have bad skin I would advise you stay away from products that contain CLA. They are usually part of a protein product that is advertised as a diet one. CLA helps to break down fat however I have tried it a few times over the years in tablet and powder form from differnt suppliers and from personal experience it made my skin really greasy
If you take protein supplements and don't train it just makes your tail longer. True story
LemonHead6 h, 44 m ago

Omega-3 fish oils, or any other fish oil will do as a supplement. But …Omega-3 fish oils, or any other fish oil will do as a supplement. But especially omega-3.Try Zipvit, Simply Supplements, or Healthspan.Something like this will do fine. A years supply is about £11.I'm not an advocate of supplements normally though there is a lot of scientific evidence and benefits from taking omega-3.All the above is recommended though. A varied diet is a healthy diet. And as a student you really need to make sure you eat well.

Isn't a good quality Omega-3 fish oil much better taken as liquid rather than capsule?
Kas...2 h, 31 m ago

Don’t eat much takeaway as I feel they taste like garbage a lot of the t …Don’t eat much takeaway as I feel they taste like garbage a lot of the time and I’m just wasting money for food that makes me sick or goes in the bin. I’ll prob eat out once a month. I general stick with noodles and fruit for desert I guess. However I do tend to binge on snacks and it’s not weight I’m gaining but spots and other effects on my skin. I guess now it’s just a matter of if I don’t buy then I won’t be tempted.

Avocado (good source of fat), Almonds (good source of protein for snacking- but not too many). Try to replace some of your fruit with vegetables. Maybe invest in a juicer/nutrabullet. I juice kale (don't get much juice from it), beetroot, cucumber red pepper, celery. Add some lemon juice and a bit of ginger and just neck it. If you must, add apple but I find beetroot helps me with my sugar pangs

Breakfast freeform oats from Sainsbury with water and no sugar. A bit like wallpaper paste but it will fill you up(milk if you must - I use un-homegenised from Waitrose - it's the only place I can find it)
Edited by: "OllieSt" 19th Apr
mattsk8 h, 37 m ago

maybe but google university doesn't teach you this kind of stuff usually

All the above to be honest. I like to get the facts right, as best as possible. Where I work can also be quite proactive at times too, so have plenty of time to read stuff when there's time.

I work with people living with dementia which is also a fascinating subject. I also work shifts, reason why sometimes I can sit down and read whenever it's quiet. However, some people living with dementia can tend to suffer from insomnia, so don't always have the time. I'm not complaining though, it's one of the unfortunate things that comes with living with dementia for some people.

I'm also very curious and take a great interest in these kinds of subjects.

I'm very fortunate too, one of my sister is a microbiologist and I also have a brother who is research chemist. They're a great source of information as you can imagine. Though I don't pretend I know everything they talk about though.

Listening to some of the stuff from some the health professionals where I work too can be very informative too. Sometimes I ask challenging questions too though sometimes a little too challenging, I know this as you can tell by the way some of them react to some of the things I ask. I've learnt it's best to keep your mouth shut with people like that though, I've learnt to bite man tongue. Though most are generally an inspiration.

I'm also not a fan of pseudoscience either, one of my main motivations.

I've also become an avid note taker too though can be tedious at times. I suppose you could say it's a bit of a hobby. Sometimes I can't be bothered though, I can be very lazy at times.

My biggest problem though, I have a short attention span, one of the reasons why I didn't go to university. I don't regret it though as I love my job.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 20th Apr
OllieSt2 h, 11 m ago

Isn't a good quality Omega-3 fish oil much better taken as liquid rather …Isn't a good quality Omega-3 fish oil much better taken as liquid rather than capsule?

I've not seen any scientific evidence to be honest. Though I'm reading that there's no evidence that exists that liquid omega-3 supplements offer different health benefits than omega-3 capsules.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants