Taking toddlers on breaks................

Banned 18 replies
Found 17th Aug 2009
Hi all, erm some advice from mummies and daddies with clingy babies would be nice here, ok here goes.
I went home for a few days, but have had to cut the break short by 2 nights and got home a few hours ago, the bubba would not settle at all, I was driving around my home town every night until 2am to get him to settle.
Now I don't know what has caused this as I have been away quite a few times with him, but it has made for a very stressful few days, not the plan.
Now I have quite a few breaks planned for just me and the kids coming up between now and Christmas and am now dreading the thought of being stuck at home on my own for months, so any super ideas, as the other 2 were never this clingy/restless?
Rep for help xx

1. Misc
  2. Baby
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Baby
18 Comments

aww sweetie,

so sorry your holiday was disturbed x x

How old is little one?

Anything else going on in his life that would make him feel anxious?

There isnt a physical basis for this is there? Is he feeling perfectly fine otherwise?

Banned

calpol ?

ClarityofMind;6040468

aww sweetie, so sorry your holiday was disturbed x xHow old is little … aww sweetie, so sorry your holiday was disturbed x xHow old is little one?Anything else going on in his life that would make him feel anxious?There isnt a physical basis for this is there? Is he feeling perfectly fine otherwise?

Hiya hun xx i was going to say is he teething or coming down with something?

queenlush;6040475

Hiya hun xx i was going to say is he teething or coming down with … Hiya hun xx i was going to say is he teething or coming down with something?

Hiya hunni how are you doing? x x

ClarityofMind;6040468

aww sweetie, so sorry your holiday was disturbed x xHow old is little … aww sweetie, so sorry your holiday was disturbed x xHow old is little one?Anything else going on in his life that would make him feel anxious?There isnt a physical basis for this is there? Is he feeling perfectly fine otherwise?

+1. Nightmare scenario.
Try keeping him up a little later than normal the week before you go, in the hope that he settles when you're there.
I'm loathed to advise drugs, but Calpol or Medised usually get them to drift off. Medised is better IMO.
Good luck.

ClarityofMind;6040490

Hiya hunni how are you doing? x x

Fantastic ta .... and you ? i'm at work so can't stick around

queenlush;6040517

Fantastic ta .... and you ? i'm at work so can't stick around

I'm great thank you baby, good to see you on x x x:thumbsup:

ClarityofMind;6040525

I'm great thank you baby, good to see you on x x x:thumbsup:

Might catch you later if i can get near the computer lol xx

queenlush;6040533

Might catch you later if i can get near the computer lol xx

wooohoooooooo x x

tinkerbell28;6040551

Well he is 16 months he is teething at the back but it's not that, he is … Well he is 16 months he is teething at the back but it's not that, he is fine in himself, I don't like to give him medicine to send him off as a nurse that's a big no-no as it can cover genuine warning signs of fever etc.Erm it was just clinginess, in all honesty, plain and simple he was not in his own room and bed, back home now he is fast asleep in his bed :roll:So it got to the stage after a couple of nights, I was just too tired to carry on and hubby agreed and drove us home as I am shattered, so I don't know how to solve this situation, it's definately clinginess as his Christening yesterday was a mare, he won't go to anyone but me or his dad, but then we live so far from everyone, he gets shy, thanks for the input so far, will get around to rep

yes, would never advise anyone to medicate their child just to shut em up.

all kiddies go through this clinginess stage hunni, just keep an eye on him and make sure he isnt suffering physically in any way and this upset in his change of routine isnt a sign of somethng more important xxx

You must be absolutely exhausted hon.

Next time, preparing the child in advance as much as possible wih piccies and stories, taking along fav toys, comfort items can ease the sense of distress at being away from home but only you know best as to what your child is most comfortable doing x x x

mine have been clingy at times and most of them are still very shy and mainly go to me or their dad
my youngest 22 months normally sleeps all night but he does have some periods where he just goes out of routine for no reason and wakes many times in the night
was he sleeping in a travel cot in ur room on ur hols?

maybe a mother and toddler group will help him get used to other people being around.

some kid just like routine own home own bed etc its a nightmare if you wanna go somewhere though

Babies/toddlers thrive on routine, so anything that upsets their routine will cause problems for you!

Best thing to do, where possible, is to try & stick to their normal routine; where this is impractical try & make a game of it with your child, so they know it's something special you're doing & not something that is going to continue forever.

When you return home, make a show of the fact that you can all now go back to how things were (not only the child but the whole family); expect a night or two of them being unsettled but s long as you stick to the normal routine the child will soon settle back down.

maybe it was just a coincidense that he was unsettled this time if he has been ok on previous hols
hope he is better for u next time
mine have all been ok on hols as by the time we come in at night they are knackered and ready 4 bed x

ClarityofMind;6040622

yes, would never advise anyone to medicate their child just to shut em … yes, would never advise anyone to medicate their child just to shut em up. all kiddies go through this clinginess stage hunni, just keep an eye on him and make sure he isnt suffering physically in any way and this upset in his change of routine isnt a sign of somethng more important xxxYou must be absolutely exhausted hon. Next time, preparing the child in advance as much as possible wih piccies and stories, taking along fav toys, comfort items can ease the sense of distress at being away from home but only you know best as to what your child is most comfortable doing x x x

I must say I find this works so well with my children - talking about the events, what it is going to be like and what will happen helps my children so much.

We have a Winnie the Pooh ready bed for my daughter, we take it everywhere with us when we are going to sleep over. She likes to explore the room, tell us where her bed is going to go, and point out where mummy and daddy are going to be. I must admit at the same age she was waking in the night, but I was able to get her off to sleep again various times. it got easier as she got a bit older, and the last 2 trips away she has slept straight through the night.

I found that sometimes though, if the battle was very hard, we would take her back with us, instead of insisting on getting her to sleep in a stressful situation. That way say if we were at a persons house, she would fall asleep on us, and then we would carry her to bed.

When I am moving them about - even when asleep I am always telling them that mummy is taking them to bed / putting them in the car and shhh them just incase they are taking it in.

I hope you manage to get some rest - it will pass but it doesn't help you now.

Original Poster Banned

Butterflies;6040976

I must say I find this works so well with my children - talking about the … I must say I find this works so well with my children - talking about the events, what it is going to be like and what will happen helps my children so much.We have a Winnie the Pooh ready bed for my daughter, we take it everywhere with us when we are going to sleep over. She likes to explore the room, tell us where her bed is going to go, and point out where mummy and daddy are going to be. I must admit at the same age she was waking in the night, but I was able to get her off to sleep again various times. it got easier as she got a bit older, and the last 2 trips away she has slept straight through the night.I found that sometimes though, if the battle was very hard, we would take her back with us, instead of insisting on getting her to sleep in a stressful situation. That way say if we were at a persons house, she would fall asleep on us, and then we would carry her to bed.When I am moving them about - even when asleep I am always telling them that mummy is taking them to bed / putting them in the car and shhh them just incase they are taking it in.I hope you manage to get some rest - it will pass but it doesn't help you now.

Yeah maybe it's just because he is so young still, here is hoping:thumbsup:

My 19 months old often wont settle without his fav blanket. But does regularly spend a night away from me at nanny n bampi's often w/o it and sleeps fine, although not as good as he used to for them.

Does your LO spend much time away from you??

As my son always eager to go to nanny and bampi and clings to them until we leave. But soon as we return to collect him day or 2 later hes ready to come home. He never cries after us, but you just know hes ready when he sees us. I think this has really helped reassure him that no matter what mum n dad always come back and take him home.

But if you dont/not able to do this often your child hasnt learnt this. I mean no disrespect as not ev1 lives near to or has family that will babysit overnight. As i know my mum wouldnt, so im grateful to my MIL
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition75856
    2. E: 22/09 (+6) Win £40,000, a BMW X4 and a Gadget Bundle with Good Morning B…88
    3. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
    4. Win free gin for a year99

See more discussions