Expired

Talk Talk broadband any Good?

Found 12th Oct 2017
just a quick question, looking to change from my Virgin package and Talk Talk seem the cheapest for what I need, anyone recommend their service or is it best to stick to one of the big three, Virgin, Sky & BT?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
23 Comments

Avoid. Have you not seen the various security breaches TT have suffered..
Edited by: "OBH6UK" 12th Oct 2017

Original Poster

OBH6UK5 m ago

Yeah, but a lot of companies have suffered security breaches, and hopefully they all have upped their game, it's more the quality of their broadband service, speeds, connection etc,

put in your cancelation and tell them you are going to TT because they are more expensive, they will moan a little but stick to your guns. Make sure they can contact you for marketing calls and normally within 2 days you will get a call from retentions. we were on 150Mb paying £26 going up to £38 and they offered us 100 for £22 or 200 for £26 though they may have also applied another discount to get it to £23 which customer service says they have but wont find out until next month.

malnuman15 m ago

Yeah, but a lot of companies have suffered security breaches, and …Yeah, but a lot of companies have suffered security breaches, and hopefully they all have upped their game, it's more the quality of their broadband service, speeds, connection etc,

I can't think of any British companies who've allowed more and more serious and user-impactful breaches than TalkTalk. They're a terrible company who are notorious for their aggressive and occasionally illegal sales techniques, their exceptionally poor customer service, and total disregard for customer data. Fair enough if you're struggling financially, as they do offer reasonable value on their services. If you can afford to spend a few extra pennies a day though, I'm not sure why you'd want to go with TalkTalk.

I was stuck in a contract with TalkTalk five years ago. The router dropped signal around 80 times a day despite them "fixing" it many times. Their customer service is non-existant, their engineers rarely turned up on time, there were infnitely more times when my calls went unanswered than answered and they insisted on calling me by my first name (a pet hate of mine). They might be cheap but they're also atrocious. I wouldn't touch them again with a 50ft barge pole. Ever.
Edited by: "squiff" 12th Oct 2017

malnuman23 m ago

Yeah, but a lot of companies have suffered security breaches, and …Yeah, but a lot of companies have suffered security breaches, and hopefully they all have upped their game, it's more the quality of their broadband service, speeds, connection etc,

Your choice, your money, your data etc. You have been advised, again your choice.

Original Poster

eslick14 m ago

put in your cancelation and tell them you are going to TT because they are …put in your cancelation and tell them you are going to TT because they are more expensive, they will moan a little but stick to your guns. Make sure they can contact you for marketing calls and normally within 2 days you will get a call from retentions. we were on 150Mb paying £26 going up to £38 and they offered us 100 for £22 or 200 for £26 though they may have also applied another discount to get it to £23 which customer service says they have but wont find out until next month.

150mb for £26 was a good deal, we're on 50mb, basic phone and tv and our latest bill was £48, with no extra phone charges, hence why we are looking elsewhere, will tell my Mrs to do what you say, as it's in her name.. thanks

malnuman1 m ago

150mb for £26 was a good deal, we're on 50mb, basic phone and tv and our …150mb for £26 was a good deal, we're on 50mb, basic phone and tv and our latest bill was £48, with no extra phone charges, hence why we are looking elsewhere, will tell my Mrs to do what you say, as it's in her name.. thanks

you can talk for her is she cant do it, they just need to verify the account and she can add you on, I am on ours and have to do all of the haggling

Original Poster

squiff4 m ago

I was stuck in a contract with TalkTalk five years ago. The router dropped …I was stuck in a contract with TalkTalk five years ago. The router dropped signal around 80 times a day despite them "fixing" it many times. Their customer service is non-existant, their engineers rarely turned up on time, there were infnitely more times when my calls went unanswered than answered and they insisted on calling me by my first name (a pet hate of mine). They might be cheap but they're also atrocious. I wouldn't touch them again with a 50ft barge pole. Ever.

Interesting, thanks, I guess it's cheap for a reason, will prob search around a bit more before we commit

TT consistently get poor reviews, Year on year, I honestly haven't come across anything positive regarding TT. Seems most of there customers suffer problems.

I had 38mbps fibre from TalkTalk for 18mths and had no problem. They use the same line as BT openreach so I doubt you will see much difference in performance. Only left them as SSE was offering much cheaper broadband with twice the speed. I'd go back to Talktalk if they were the cheapest for me.

Original Poster

astreix22 m ago

I had 38mbps fibre from TalkTalk for 18mths and had no problem. They use …I had 38mbps fibre from TalkTalk for 18mths and had no problem. They use the same line as BT openreach so I doubt you will see much difference in performance. Only left them as SSE was offering much cheaper broadband with twice the speed. I'd go back to Talktalk if they were the cheapest for me.

Thanks, good to see at least one positive towards TalkTalk,

OBH6UK2 h, 1 m ago

Nobody I know that's with TalkTalk has been happy with the service. Very frequent interruptions to connection. I always advise to avoid TalkTalk. It's also my understanding the customer service is terrible. There's reason they're cheapest

Check with neighbours if they have it and what their connection is like. Most probably those sharing their views here are not in your area meaning they will experience service differently.
If your neighbours have a good service then you can go for it.
But if I were you I would go for Sky, Virgin or BT. They have quite good offers all the time.

Been with TalkTalk since day 1, always got very good service. Services use to be cheap as chips ADSL with anytime calls and LR was £10/month.
Now pay fibre medium and LR for £28.

Truly unlimited with 100gb download average a month

avoid, absolute crap

Original Poster

rimalpatel00719 m ago

Been with TalkTalk since day 1, always got very good service. Services use …Been with TalkTalk since day 1, always got very good service. Services use to be cheap as chips ADSL with anytime calls and LR was £10/month. Now pay fibre medium and LR for £28. Truly unlimited with 100gb download average a month

Thanks, what is LR though?

Assume it's line rental ?
Another fairly happy TalkTalk customer here,since the early days of Tiscali infact
Nothing mind blowing in terms of speeds but it does the job

Original Poster

Sonofclara8 m ago

Assume it's line rental ?Another fairly happy TalkTalk customer here,since …Assume it's line rental ?Another fairly happy TalkTalk customer here,since the early days of Tiscali infactNothing mind blowing in terms of speeds but it does the job

Yes line rental, thanks.. and thanks for the positive input, I guess as with all things, it's hit and miss with diff people

Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the input, much appreciated, we will call Virgin and see what they offer as a incentive to stay, if we're not satisfied then I guess we will chance TalkTalk as it's really about the cost at the mo..

Was with talktalk for years, personally we had horrendous problems with speed , drop outs in connection which since switching to BT have disappeared. We are just across the road from the cabinet so should by rights have a fairly decent connection, but talktalk never managed it. As you say everyone will have different experiences , but what I would say is only go with them if you are a very patient person, their customer service team works from scripts that they won't deviate from even if it doesn't really cover the problem you are having, not unusual to be on the phone for 30-40 minutes trying to sort out problems

malnuman5 h, 9 m ago

Thanks, what is LR though?

Yes line rental.

One product they need to massively improve is their YouView box. It's absolutely slow and frustrating. Only use it to record programmes but use TVs free view channels to watch.
I did their product feedback on the box and got £30 Amazon voucher. They will be releasing a new box which will also have built-in wi-fi and roll out software upgrades.

Original Poster

eslick12th Oct

put in your cancelation and tell them you are going to TT because they are …put in your cancelation and tell them you are going to TT because they are more expensive, they will moan a little but stick to your guns. Make sure they can contact you for marketing calls and normally within 2 days you will get a call from retentions. we were on 150Mb paying £26 going up to £38 and they offered us 100 for £22 or 200 for £26 though they may have also applied another discount to get it to £23 which customer service says they have but wont find out until next month.

Just a quick update, my Mrs called up to cancel and they offered us the same service but they agreed not to charge us the extra £15 a month which they applied because our year discount was now up.. said they would keep it the same for another year and refund us the £15 for this month's bill, so it's Virgin for another year then,
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions