Talk Talk Hard Search?

Posted 25th Mar
Hi,

I recently took advantage of a deal on this site from TalkTalk via uSwitch, and all went through okay.

I've just checked my Clear Score 10 minutes ago, and it's impacted my credit score by -90 because of a hard search by TalkTalk. I've read online that this can stay on your credit file for 2 years.

I've worked hard to get, and keep, my credit file in check by not missing payments etc. and now I feel robbed.

Is there anything I can do?

TIA,

John.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
What's your score now then?
I thought all providers do a check so i wouldn't have thought anything could be done. Im sure at some point it would have stated this would be done when you signed up.
SmokinAce725/03/2020 13:20

I thought all providers do a check so i wouldn't have thought anything …I thought all providers do a check so i wouldn't have thought anything could be done. Im sure at some point it would have stated this would be done when you signed up.

I knew about the search but to take 90 points off your score which will stay with you for 2 years is a bit harsh surely?
Don't worry about it, every time you take out a new contract it reflects in your credit score for 6 months.
yorkie1225/03/2020 13:23

Don't worry about it, every time you take out a new contract it reflects …Don't worry about it, every time you take out a new contract it reflects in your credit score for 6 months.

So it won't be on my file for 2 years? I don't mind if it's only on for 6 months.
To be clear, not all broadband providers do a hard search for taking out a broadband contract.

I know Talk Talk, Vodafone and EE do. And Plusnet and Sky don't. I am unsure about other companies.

Score should pop back up in a month or 2 though.
Edited by: "RYANdeals" 25th Mar
JohnIIIrd25/03/2020 13:52

So it won't be on my file for 2 years? I don't mind if it's only on for 6 …So it won't be on my file for 2 years? I don't mind if it's only on for 6 months.

It’ll be on your file, but your score will go back up again once they see you keep up with the payments. I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s pretty normal.
Biddy225/03/2020 14:01

It’ll be on your file, but your score will go back up again once they see y …It’ll be on your file, but your score will go back up again once they see you keep up with the payments. I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s pretty normal.

Thank you, alleviated my worries
Thank you to everyone who took part in this discussion, much appreciated
While its good to review your credit score so you can keep an eye on things, its also worth taking it with a pinch of salt. The score is only an estimate of what that particular company "thinks" you rate out of an abatry scoring system.

I used to work for a bank checking credit files for mortgage lending, and we ignored all searchs for utilities etc, and were only interested in searches and results for loans credit cards etc - of course i'm not saying that is the same for every bank or credit provider but i wouldnt be too concerned as its quite obvious what the search is for.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants