Expired

TalkTalk - are they really as bad as some people claim?

Found 21st Jul 2013
£6.50 pm for unlimited broadband does seem a really good deal, even if it does involve moving the BT phone line to them.

Any thoughts on how bad (or good) a move this might be?
Community Updates
Misc
36 Comments
No not really - broadband phone line works for me
fine. The call centre does not understand english and if you need to reach them for anything - say reschedule an appointment for setting up phone - it will be very difficult.
people like to moan how bad a service can be and very few praise their services
I've been with talk talk for 2 years and had no issues
I found their broadband to be slow and oversubscribed (at peak times it really slowed to a crawl). Call centre was a farce and to switch provider they wanted me to pay them £70 to release the line so I could change my phone service to another company!!

Are they as bad as some people claim? I'd say they're worse.
ok for me a pay £22.50 for line rental unlimited broadband & unlimited calls day & night & weekends been with them for 18 months never had a problem
No problems with the line at my grandfather's house. Nothing to complain about at all.
Did similar switch a few months ago. Went perfectly fine, great customer service via forum, and phoning them a query was answered very well. Broadband was 6meb on plusnet, now I'm on 16meg with TT (after removing my useless bell wire which capped me at 12meg). Go for it, via cashback of course!
Download speeds are line speed all day for me, too. 1.8mb/s for torrent/downloading via http.
Try ringing their helpline, then you will see why they have such a reputation for poor service.

You get what you don't pay for.(_;)
I've been with them 7 years (Phone & broadband).
They are better than people say and when I do have a problem, like when the line was dead I just texted them my telephone number and they sorted it quickly.
When I've had other problems I just email them and they responded quickly.

I haven't tried phone support as I've never felt the need.
Have been paying £1.25 for a while now for talktalk broadband. So not complaining..

Edited by: "kman1706" 21st Jul 2013
7 yrs with em...... no problems...... always give me discounts when I renew.... I pay a yr up front for line rental £9.50 pm.
As a provider it is pretty good however you tend to dread talking to customer services on the phone. The members forum is very good however and a lot of stuff can be managed online

Also they have an annoying habit of phoning and insisting to speak to account holder daily leaving voice messages claiming "an important notice about your broadband" and turns out to be a sales call which happened about 4 times
The Santander of the Telecom world ......
My folks went to switch to Sky 2 months after their contract ended.
Talk Talk refused the MAC and said during a "courtesy call" 11 months into their 12 month contract my dad agreed for another 18 months contract??

My dads only memory of a call was to see how things where, if he had any problems with the line and broadband and is he happy with Talk Talks service.

Apparently this constituted as agreeing to another 18 months contract!

Asked for a recording of the call, which didn't arrive and they allowed the MAC to be released without penalty.
Hard work though, personally would avoid them. Plusnet appear to have got their shizzle together and are just as cheap at the moment with good cashback.
Original Poster
Chiptivo

Plusnet appear to have got their shizzle together and are just as cheap … Plusnet appear to have got their shizzle together and are just as cheap at the moment with good cashback.

Thanks. Plusnet would be a good bet (I'd far rather use them) but TalkTalk are the only ones with their own equipment in my exchange, so Plusnet are quoting a much higher price. TalkTalk are the only ones offering a decent deal.
Avoid them dire,
search on google if you need any more horror stories..
I've been with talktalk for 11 months and haven't had a problem. Heard bad things about customer service, but haven't had to call them yet.
Don't touch
Newbold

Thanks. Plusnet would be a good bet (I'd far rather use them) but … Thanks. Plusnet would be a good bet (I'd far rather use them) but TalkTalk are the only ones with their own equipment in my exchange, so Plusnet are quoting a much higher price. TalkTalk are the only ones offering a decent deal.

Id be wary then as that means talk talk are offering you service via LLU then rather than BT Wholesale, its harder to get away from LLU in future than it is from WLR , you wont find Plusnet using LLU as they are part of BT Group but they still have exchange 3 pricing like any other BT Wholesale ISP does in those exchanges where higher competition exists
Edited by: "jase.2" 21st Jul 2013
Original Poster
jase.2

Id be wary then as that means talk talk are offering you service via LLU … Id be wary then as that means talk talk are offering you service via LLU then rather than BT Wholesale, its harder to get away from LLU in future than it is from WLR , you wont find Plusnet using LLU as they are part of BT Group but they still have exchange 3 pricing like any other BT Wholesale ISP does in those exchanges where higher competition exists

Indeed so - TalkTalk use their own LLU equipment. It's a Market 1 exchange, though, so virtually no competition - only TalkTalk offer any kind of real competition to BT.

Why would moving away from TalkTalk in the future be difficult (after the 12 month tie-in)? Surely I could just switch back to BT if things didn't work out, though I'm sensing from most of the replies here that TalkTalk isn't anything like as bad as it's made out to be.
Newbold

Indeed so - TalkTalk use their own LLU equipment. It's a Market 1 … Indeed so - TalkTalk use their own LLU equipment. It's a Market 1 exchange, though, so virtually no competition - only TalkTalk offer any kind of real competition to BT.Why would moving away from TalkTalk in the future be difficult (after the 12 month tie-in)? Surely I could just switch back to BT if things didn't work out, though I'm sensing from most of the replies here that TalkTalk isn't anything like as bad as it's made out to be.

Have a read at this.......switching back to wholesale isnt particularly easy so thats why specifically Talk Talk and Sky are moving their wholesale customers to LLU without even telling them, so customer tries to leave and finds it harder than just getting a mac code

broadbandchoices.co.uk/gui…ing
Original Poster
jase.2

Have a read at this.......switching back to wholesale isnt particularly … Have a read at this.......switching back to wholesale isnt particularly easy so thats why specifically Talk Talk and Sky are moving their wholesale customers to LLU without even telling them, so customer tries to leave and finds it harder than just getting a mac codehttp://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/guides/switching/llu-broadband-migration-and-switching

That's certainly very interesting, and I wasn't aware of it, but I take a degree of comfort from this if I want to switch back again:

BT now offers free installation if you take a broadband and calls package - or a triple play package including the digital TV service BT Vision.
I had a nightmare with talk talk and I wasn't even a customer. they linked someone's account to my address in error a couple of years back and it took me over 6 months to get it sorted. their customer service is abysmal and even if they offered the best broadband service around I'd never touch them coz've the nonsense and general lack of interest I got from them when I tried to sort my issue out
Newbold

That's certainly very interesting, and I wasn't aware of it, but I take a … That's certainly very interesting, and I wasn't aware of it, but I take a degree of comfort from this if I want to switch back again:BT now offers free installation if you take a broadband and calls package - or a triple play package including the digital TV service BT Vision.

Its not always free installation........and remember thats a BT Retail offer and not another provider reselling BT Wholesale services.....

But at least your aware of how things go
Their Call Centre's are awful to deal with.
Joined in 07; been with them since. Haven't had any issues and what little niggles we had the talktalk members forum will assist.

Honestly it seems TT get a bad rep on this site however in my experience they are great.

Currently have Fibre, 24/7 Calls and Value Line Rental inc all for £20pm.
Edited by: "Shadow-360" 21st Jul 2013
They are fantastic, to start with really bad! But after complaining they gave us so much credit that we got a year of free Internet and line rental for being without Internet for 1 week! Never had a problem since. :-)
It's probably a subjective thing. I'd imagine that heavy users who download large amounts of data (particularly HD streaming, torrents etc.) will be the ones who have more issues with the service. Light-moderate users are less likely to find their usage impeded by the problems I tend to see regarding TalkTalk. My neighbour has them and we are within spitting distance of our exchange, yet she still frequently has issues with iPlayer playback- to the point that I've let her use my O2 wireless for that stuff. One thing that does seem universal in this thread is the criticism of their customer service.
Banned
been with TT for over7 years, been paying average £15 a month which includes value line rental, anytime calls and broadband. Also included free international calls and 60min to asia and Australia. Every year I renew I get more discount!

I did encounter a technical issue which was eventually rectified in house but their cs is really bad at times where they would not save notes or line will get cut off!

No point checking Google for horror stories because people jump online to put their bad experience forward, you read more negative than positive.
Didn't have an issue with TT or their overseas CS (who I'd found to be helpful and polite)
I went with them as they were the first LLU provider in my area, and speeds consistent and connection relaible over 18 months or so.
cookiemonster83

It's probably a subjective thing. I'd imagine that heavy users who … It's probably a subjective thing. I'd imagine that heavy users who download large amounts of data (particularly HD streaming, torrents etc.) will be the ones who have more issues with the service. Light-moderate users are less likely to find their usage impeded by the problems I tend to see regarding TalkTalk. My neighbour has them and we are within spitting distance of our exchange, yet she still frequently has issues with iPlayer playback- to the point that I've let her use my O2 wireless for that stuff. One thing that does seem universal in this thread is the criticism of their customer service.

I was a heavy user (500+ gb p/m) and never got throttled, etc.
Original Poster
Thanks guys - enough positivity on this thread to persuade me to take a chance on it.

£6.50 a month for unlimited BB + £70 Quidco + 6 months free = too good not to try for a year. (_;)
jase.2

Have a read at this.......switching back to wholesale isnt particularly … Have a read at this.......switching back to wholesale isnt particularly easy so thats why specifically Talk Talk and Sky are moving their wholesale customers to LLU without even telling them, so customer tries to leave and finds it harder than just getting a mac codehttp://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/guides/switching/llu-broadband-migration-and-switching

So would it be a struggle/impossible to transfer a number from virgin to talk talk and and then in future to a wholesale provider like bt?

I like to try them out but cant afford to lose my virgin number which was originally from bt.
Edited by: "buggu" 23rd Jul 2013
buggu

So would it be a struggle/impossible to transfer a number from virgin to … So would it be a struggle/impossible to transfer a number from virgin to talk talk and and then in future to a wholesale provider like bt?I like to try them out but cant afford to lose my virgin number which was originally from bt.

No you could take the number from LLU to Wholesale but you would need a Wholesale line installed
Well, about 3 weeks ago i decided to go to talk talk for my fibre as it was finally available in my area. I chose talk talk as i was aol with my bb for years and wierdly, had zero issues.

It was an ok deal and slightly cheaper than BT (only other privder in my area) and i negociated a deal with talk talk to get 4 months fre. perfect as the full package with 76mb fibre and tv was £48 a month.

Today was the day that the engineer was to come to install the fibre, or so I thought.

The appointment was from 8am to 1 pm so natually you assume it was 1pm they will turn up. 1pm went and gone and went onto the phone to custmer support to get an answer on why im still waiting.

6 people later and 1 hang up, i managed to get some someone telling me there was a "fault" on the line and needed to be sorted in the exchange and there will be a delay with no time frame.

There was no communication before hand to let me know it was delayed and wasted a day off work and what was worse that at 10am i asked a call centre staff to check when time they were coming to only tell me he couldn't find my account!

so all things happening before even having a service from them to i cancelled the order. that took aaaaagggggeeeesss and trying to offer me good will but with lack of anything from talk talk, i am now opting for BT and see how they go

Never Ever go to TalkTalk!
dcx_badass

You realise the appointment that was missed was BT Openreach and not talk … You realise the appointment that was missed was BT Openreach and not talk talk, which kind of makes your whole rant pointless, as it will also be BT Openreach who come and do it for BT as well, and if there is an actual fault, the exact same fault will still exist with BT.

Well you say that but surley its TalkTalk that should relay that information to me so that I wouldnt have to waste a day off to find out after nearly an hour of calling to see what happened. It may exist when BT come i will give you that one but coinsidering next door just had BT fibre without issue and the issues talktalk gave me seem to match what most people have encountered which seemed odd. No one cared at all and I was trying to give my business to them but with the ignorance and attitude i had, why wouldnt this happen further down the line?

Hell I was well AOL for nearly 6 years woithout issues (including setting up) but talktalk is something else!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions