TalkTalk Contract

Posted 20th Dec 2019
I renewed my contract with talktalk on 13/01/18 and was told nurmerous times this would be an 18 month contract. I have the chat transcript of this conversation emailed to myself. Therefor my contract should have ended on the 13/07/19.

I have another chat transcript dated 06/05/19 in which when i asked when my contract was til, they said it was the 13/01/20. So instead of 18 months duration they have me in a 24 month contract.

I agreed to the 18 month renewal not the 24 month.

Could this be classified as mis-sold and right to complain?

Regards
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
What & where is the contractual document confirming the renewal t&c of the specific product/service you are contesting? Consider some products/services may have different durations.
an extract of the chat transcript

Mbali: Let me take you through what you’ve agreed. The full terms and conditions are available online or in your welcome pack. You’re on our <fast broadband > plan with <Unlimited broadband, line rental, sky sports boost > on an <18> month contract for <£28.45> per month. At the end of your contract, the price goes up to the standard price. You’ll be charged extra for things outside your allowance like international and premium calls, films and TV rentals. The price is guaranteed during your <18> month minimum contract term. When you are outside of your minimum term your monthly charges may change, if they do we will give you 30 days’ notice
Edited by: "OURworldhasended" 20th Dec 2019
Looks like the proof right there!
But if you call them on it, they might charge you for the six months out if contract charge, if it went up.
Seems a bit pointless arguing about it this late in the day though!
esar20/12/2019 00:48

Looks like the proof right there!But if you call them on it, they might …Looks like the proof right there!But if you call them on it, they might charge you for the six months out if contract charge, if it went up.Seems a bit pointless arguing about it this late in the day though!

surely they couldnt do that, I would argue my contract would be nulled due to the fact they mis-sold it and the final line states any charges outside my contract would require 30 days notice.
OURworldhasended20/12/2019 00:57

surely they couldnt do that, I would argue my contract would be nulled due …surely they couldnt do that, I would argue my contract would be nulled due to the fact they mis-sold it and the final line states any charges outside my contract would require 30 days notice.

What would you hope to gain by doing this?
esar20/12/2019 00:59

What would you hope to gain by doing this?

best case scenario and this is me being wishful thinking, is a full refund of all my charges for the reason of invalid contract due to mis-selling.

Or a favourable poisition in a substantial discount for a further renewal going forward.
Why would you sign up for a TalkTalk contract in the first place? Were you not aware of their reputation at the time?
Pájaro20/12/2019 01:08

Why would you sign up for a TalkTalk contract in the first place? Were you …Why would you sign up for a TalkTalk contract in the first place? Were you not aware of their reputation at the time?

TBH ive been with them for many years, through the data scandal and all, despite it all, ive always had a consistantly working boardband connection so no need to change as long as the price was right.
Give them 30 days to resolve it.. I.e get out of contract or take it further to the Ombudsman.
Of course you have a right to complain,

But they would just need to put you on a place that you would have been so not unfairly charged, that would be for them to reduce the term to 18 months
The contract end date is clearly visible in the online account talktalk.co.uk/my/…age, there'll be no refund imho
I'm not sure what you are complaining about though? If you want to leave your chat means you can... given 30 days notice. If you don't want to leave they have actually kept your contract at a lower price than it should have been for longer? If you complain they could say ok sorry... here's 30 days notice that from next month it will be £45
so are you looking to leave them now? the issue seems to have become irrelevant now as the end date of the contract, which is incorrect, 13.01.2020, is coming up shortly?
OURworldhasended20/12/2019 01:03

best case scenario and this is me being wishful thinking, is a full refund …best case scenario and this is me being wishful thinking, is a full refund of all my charges for the reason of invalid contract due to mis-selling.Or a favourable poisition in a substantial discount for a further renewal going forward.

You have not suffered any financial detriment; you appear to have benefitted from extended discounted pricing. On that basis it would be difficult to claim any losses as a result of any proven irregular contract extension.
You may have a more credible claim if you can show you had an intension to move to a more beneficial competitor's service around the time of perceived TT contract end date but were dissuaded from doing so by TTs notification of longer contract, yet you state you were in possession of proof of shorter contract length some 18months earlier but chose not to inform TT of this proof; that may be regarded as complicit.
Beyond a complaint that TT can't count resulting in a suggestion of continued lower cost services, what exactly is your loss?
AndyRoyd20/12/2019 14:51

You have not suffered any financial detriment; you appear to have …You have not suffered any financial detriment; you appear to have benefitted from extended discounted pricing. On that basis it would be difficult to claim any losses as a result of any proven irregular contract extension.You may have a more credible claim if you can show you had an intension to move to a more beneficial competitor's service around the time of perceived TT contract end date but were dissuaded from doing so by TTs notification of longer contract, yet you state you were in possession of proof of shorter contract length some 18months earlier but chose not to inform TT of this proof; that may be regarded as complicit.Beyond a complaint that TT can't count resulting in a suggestion of continued lower cost services, what exactly is your loss?

Eliza : not required as i am thinking of leaving you anyways
Clarissa:
No worries. You can change your preferences any time in the My Account Preference Centre or by calling or chatting with us.

Clarissa: Thank you for waiting. Eliza.

Clarissa: I have already removed the TV charge for you. This will be completed within 24 hours. Please be advised that you will still receive notifications about our latest updates regarding our TV services. There is no need for you to return the TV box as you will still be able to use this for watching freeview channels and catch up. Your monthly tariff will be £19.95.

Eliza : when does my contract expire or has it already expired
Clarissa: Your contract will end on 13/01/2020. Can you tell me why you want to cancel your services?

Eliza : ive read there is a price rise next month
Clarissa: Alright, I understand you want to cancel due to the price increase.

Eliza : yes
Eliza : in addition to sneaky added charges like the £4 TV charge
Clarissa: If you are not happy with the increase, I can transfer our chat to our Loyalty Team who can check the available offers for you. Is that fine with you?

Eliza : fine
Clarissa: Is there anything else I can help you with before I transfer you over? 

Eliza : nope
Clarissa: I'm glad I was able to document your concern about your intention to cancel and direct you to the right department to further help you with this.

The above is part of the 2nd transcript dated 06/05/19 i have when i am first informed of the later contract end date. I believe that counts as clear intention to leave.
OURworldhasended20/12/2019 15:16

Eliza : ... << significant ramble >>

TBH CBA reading and attempting to interpret.
Maybe you could summarise in one line your loss and offset that against the suggested extended period of lower cost services that you have enjoyed.
But to succinctly reply to original Q:

OURworldhasended20/12/2019 15:16

Could this be classified as mis-sold and right to complain?

You have "right to complain" about anything at any time, regardless of any substance to the complaint or not.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions