Expired

TalkTalk failed credit check

Found 12th Jun 2014
Got my home phone, broadband and two sims from TT.

Wanted to upgrade my sim to a phone deal.
Failed on credit check.

Registered with Equifax- excellent rating with 467 score.
Spoke to a nice lady there, can see no issues with my credit file.

Tried again, same cancelled order.

Nobody at TT can give me any help- they just say contact Equifax.

The phone I was trying to buy- Samsung S3 on a small plan (£12.50) has now just gone up to £17.50 overnight.
I wonder if my application would be succesful now...?

The amounts involved are so small, I can't believe the hasstle this is causing.

A truely horrible experiance overall, I can't wait for my next contract renewal so I can look elsewhere for a company that actually wants to reward and retain their customers.
That's such a shame- up until now, I couldn't fault their service, and regularly recommended them to all.

Anyone any clue as to what TT are up to with this.....???
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
having tried to twice to order the sim only deals with both orders being "lost" i wonder the same thing...
Hi batterme. Hope you are well.

Just remember, it may not be Talk Talk's sole fault. It's the 'system' that's rejecting you. I've seen cases like this before where some people have "too good" a credit rating so the vendor system rejects them as a "non-viable" customer - i.e. a non-profitable one. MoneySavingExpert has information regarding credit ratings. How to repair bad ones and how to make "good" ones look profitable. Crazy, I know but don't immediately blame TT as it may just be what the system is telling them and they cannot get around it.

Have you spoken to TT since visiting/investigating Equifax? Don't forget, Equifax is only 'one' credit reference agency. I had a similar scenario many years ago where I was refused a credit card as (and I quote) "I didn't use it enough - therefore I was not a 'good' customer and Visa wouldn't let me have one" and the CS agent also added "which really means they don't make enough money out of you." Never had a credit card since! Hehe. Stuff em!

Here is a link (and a direct quote) from MSE:

moneysavingexpert.com/loa…ore

"You'll also usually find a 'score' on your credit file if you check it. This is out of 999 with Experian, 600 with Equifax, and from 1/5 to 5/5 with Callcredit. It's also possibly the case that what one credit reference agency sees as a negative, another may see as a positive. Looking after your credit score is an art, not a science.

But don't confuse your credit reference agency score with lenders' scoring systems. All are looking for different borrowers, and will use credit reference data as only one source of information when they're building up a picture of you.

You can have a 999 or a 5/5 credit score with a credit reference agency and still be rejected. Agency scores are based on "what they know about you". If there's not much information, but it's all good, then you may get a top score, but still be rejected as there's not enough information for them to be sure you're a good risk."

All the best, Phsy.
Banned
Phsycronix

Hi batterme. Hope you are well.Just remember, it may not be Talk Talk's … Hi batterme. Hope you are well.Just remember, it may not be Talk Talk's sole fault. It's the 'system' that's rejecting you. I've seen cases like this before where some people have "too good" a credit rating so the vendor system rejects them as a "non-viable" customer - i.e. a non-profitable one. MoneySavingExpert has information regarding credit ratings. How to repair bad ones and how to make "good" ones look profitable. Crazy, I know but don't immediately blame TT as it may just be what the system is telling them and they cannot get around it.Have you spoken to TT since visiting/investigating Equifax? Don't forget, Equifax is only 'one' credit reference agency. I had a similar scenario many years ago where I was refused a credit card as (and I quote) "I didn't use it enough - therefore I was not a 'good' customer and Visa wouldn't let me have one" and the CS agent also added "which really means they don't make enough money out of you." Never had a credit card since! Hehe. Stuff em!Here is a link (and a direct quote) from MSE:http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score"You'll also usually find a 'score' on your credit file if you check it. This is out of 999 with Experian, 600 with Equifax, and from 1/5 to 5/5 with Callcredit. It's also possibly the case that what one credit reference agency sees as a negative, another may see as a positive. Looking after your credit score is an art, not a science. But don't confuse your credit reference agency score with lenders' scoring systems. All are looking for different borrowers, and will use credit reference data as only one source of information when they're building up a picture of you. You can have a 999 or a 5/5 credit score with a credit reference agency and still be rejected. Agency scores are based on "what they know about you". If there's not much information, but it's all good, then you may get a top score, but still be rejected as there's not enough information for them to be sure you're a good risk."All the best, Phsy.

That's a very concise imformative answer! I agree with Phsycronix.

If they have a retentions or cancellations number try contacting them and explaining the situation and tell them you maybe thinking about moving elsewhere when you can.
Edited by: "Holly1985" 12th Jun 2014
Banned
Good luck. you will gave the Sam hassle when you leave like me and my sister. I got charged early termination fee when in fact I rang to give the notice but the wicked lady cancelled it straight away. my husband got a deal worth £10 for £3.75 guess what that didn't go through do they tried charging me that but we have left
they charged us extra £20.

buy the sim only I'd you will get cash back to compensate your self
Mod
There are 3 main credit reference agencies. Try checking your file with the other two.

You say you've checked equifax so check experian and call credit. Don't pay any attention to the "credit scores" they might give you as they are meaningless in the real world.
Phsycronix

Hi batterme. Hope you are well.Just remember, it may not be Talk Talk's … Hi batterme. Hope you are well.Just remember, it may not be Talk Talk's sole fault. It's the 'system' that's rejecting you. I've seen cases like this before where some people have "too good" a credit rating so the vendor system rejects them as a "non-viable" customer - i.e. a non-profitable one. MoneySavingExpert has information regarding credit ratings. How to repair bad ones and how to make "good" ones look profitable. Crazy, I know but don't immediately blame TT as it may just be what the system is telling them and they cannot get around it.Have you spoken to TT since visiting/investigating Equifax? Don't forget, Equifax is only 'one' credit reference agency. I had a similar scenario many years ago where I was refused a credit card as (and I quote) "I didn't use it enough - therefore I was not a 'good' customer and Visa wouldn't let me have one" and the CS agent also added "which really means they don't make enough money out of you." Never had a credit card since! Hehe. Stuff em!Here is a link (and a direct quote) from MSE:http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score"You'll also usually find a 'score' on your credit file if you check it. This is out of 999 with Experian, 600 with Equifax, and from 1/5 to 5/5 with Callcredit. It's also possibly the case that what one credit reference agency sees as a negative, another may see as a positive. Looking after your credit score is an art, not a science. But don't confuse your credit reference agency score with lenders' scoring systems. All are looking for different borrowers, and will use credit reference data as only one source of information when they're building up a picture of you. You can have a 999 or a 5/5 credit score with a credit reference agency and still be rejected. Agency scores are based on "what they know about you". If there's not much information, but it's all good, then you may get a top score, but still be rejected as there's not enough information for them to be sure you're a good risk."All the best, Phsy.

Excellent response, nice one.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants