Talktalk - Fixed Price - Price Increase Email

Found 25th Jun
Unfortunately I had to rejoin Talktalk a couple of months ago, only company who said they were sure they could keep my number. I joined a fixed price contract for 12 months. The other day I received an email saying the price was going up. They've tried to be clever and add the price onto the add-on, rather than the line rental or broadband. However the offer was for the add-on to be free for 18 months, which it clearly now isn't.

I've sent an email to the CEO's office to get the charge taken off. Just wondering whether anyone else has received the same email and if so what result they've had in getting the charge released.

Thank you!
Community Updates
Misc
18 Comments
Havent they got an advert on tv right now saying that if your in a contract they wont put the price up during your contract ?

Rubbish company that doesnt care about you or your personal data being given away ...
cis_groupie1 h, 0 m ago

Looks like you should have researched a bit more before rejoining Talk …Looks like you should have researched a bit more before rejoining Talk Talk ;)https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/ask-our-expert/can-i-keep-my-phone-number-if-i-change-broadband-providers

I suspect the op is referring to a mobile number, not landline

Although nearly all providers allow you to keep mobile numbers too
chocci32 m ago

I suspect the op is referring to a mobile number, not landlineAlthough …I suspect the op is referring to a mobile number, not landlineAlthough nearly all providers allow you to keep mobile numbers too

I'm referring to a landline.

I'm fully aware that the company sucks, but seemed to be my only way of keeping my number. They did give me something like £205 back for lack of service. I tried other companies but couldn't get any guarantee of keeping my number. Now Broadband seemed to be really good but had to give up after the third failed order!!

I'll update this thread when I hear back from the CEO office regarding this.
hooray.henry1 h, 11 m ago

Havent they got an advert on tv right now saying that if your in a …Havent they got an advert on tv right now saying that if your in a contract they wont put the price up during your contract ?Rubbish company that doesnt care about you or your personal data being given away ...

I believe they have, it's what I signed up to. But they've increased the cost of my "free for 18 months" add-on!
Benjimoron53 m ago

I'll update this thread when I hear back from the CEO office regarding …I'll update this thread when I hear back from the CEO office regarding this.

We won't hold our breath then.
deeky1 h, 24 m ago

We won't hold our breath then.

I will get the charge removed. It's probably only about £30 or so over the year, but it's the principle.
Benjimoron39 m ago

I will get the charge removed. It's probably only about £30 or so over the …I will get the charge removed. It's probably only about £30 or so over the year, but it's the principle.

I agree 100%
TT aint the only company that can keep your number - any wholesale or LLU provider can transfer it to them
jase.211 m ago

TT aint the only company that can keep your number - any wholesale or LLU …TT aint the only company that can keep your number - any wholesale or LLU provider can transfer it to them

Well I did try, Now Broadband seemed the most likely to be able to do it, but they cancelled my order twice due to not being able to transfer my number and I decided to give up on the third order as they clearly couldn't do what they said.

I'll try again next time contract is up, I've not had a problem before as far as I can recall. Transferred the number many times before.
Benjimoron5 h, 2 m ago

I'm referring to a landline.I'm fully aware that the company sucks, but …I'm referring to a landline.I'm fully aware that the company sucks, but seemed to be my only way of keeping my number. They did give me something like £205 back for lack of service. I tried other companies but couldn't get any guarantee of keeping my number. Now Broadband seemed to be really good but had to give up after the third failed order!!I'll update this thread when I hear back from the CEO office regarding this.

That's odd as I have switched from vm to sky and now bt over the last 3 years and have kept my number.
Last time I was with Talktalk, I had free broadband and just paid line rental. They tried to add the incease to the broadband, but I sucessfully argued that 'free' is not a monetary value, so it can't increase by £1 per month or whatever. If the broadband had been £0.00 per month, they could have increased it, but it actually said free.
Yeah, my order confirmation says "free for 18 months", not "free at the moment but we may change our minds once you're tied in".

I'm surprised more people haven't had this issue as the emails went out a week or so ago and this was a hot deal on here. Maybe not many people signed up!!
I too, had the Email. However, the way I read it - if your "add-on" was part of your FP contract and the add-on was "free" then it WON'T increase until your current contract/boost expires. I obviously don't know the 'particulars' of the OP's deal but I'd feel a bit silly sending an Email to the CEO without fully understanding the details first. Maybe a "Live chat" to their CS would've been prudent to clarify things first?

I have free calls for the life of my contract as a "boost" but it definitely reads along the lines of: if your boost was part of your contract and NOT a chargeable boost, i.e. the boost offered something free, then it won't suddenly become chargeable at the new price. It will remain free until your contract (or boost) expires/is renewed. You would then pay to keep the boost - or try to renegotiate the 'free' status on a new contract, as I do!

Also, I can remember reading in small print somewhere that they do reserve the right to increase prices on 'boosts' so; in practice; they are true to their word and don't increase the fixed price BB package you signed up for. I don't feel it's them being "sneaky" at all.

So, OP. I hope I'm correct in saying if your "add-on" boost was a charge-free boost - i.e. free calls etc. then it will remain free. If it was only a part boost - like "free calls for six months" on a 12 or 18 month contract then, yes, once it expires you would pay the new, full/increased price - which is correct.

Best regards, Phsy.
Phsycronix2 h, 29 m ago

I too, had the Email. However, the way I read it - if your "add-on" was …I too, had the Email. However, the way I read it - if your "add-on" was part of your FP contract and the add-on was "free" then it WON'T increase until your current contract/boost expires. I obviously don't know the 'particulars' of the OP's deal but I'd feel a bit silly sending an Email to the CEO without fully understanding the details first. Maybe a "Live chat" to their CS would've been prudent to clarify things first?I have free calls for the life of my contract as a "boost" but it definitely reads along the lines of: if your boost was part of your contract and NOT a chargeable boost, i.e. the boost offered something free, then it won't suddenly become chargeable at the new price. It will remain free until your contract (or boost) expires/is renewed. You would then pay to keep the boost - or try to renegotiate the 'free' status on a new contract, as I do!Also, I can remember reading in small print somewhere that they do reserve the right to increase prices on 'boosts' so; in practice; they are true to their word and don't increase the fixed price BB package you signed up for. I don't feel it's them being "sneaky" at all.So, OP. I hope I'm correct in saying if your "add-on" boost was a charge-free boost - i.e. free calls etc. then it will remain free. If it was only a part boost - like "free calls for six months" on a 12 or 18 month contract then, yes, once it expires you would pay the new, full/increased price - which is correct.Best regards, Phsy.

just replied to someone in another thread who replied to me with the same issue. Seems TT have the magic fixed price guarantee but that as you said does not cover any of the add ons which is crafty but as you said clearly in the small print and they seem to have had multiple increases recently as they call these add ons variable charges. They give with one hand on the no increases in BB or landline charges but take away with as many increases as they can get away with but if they are really truly variable charges not even OFCOM could rule on that.

As I said to the other poster, all that will happen is when the contract ends no one will stay with them. It may even be cheaper for many to simply cancel the add ons, and increase their mobile package. We dont have a landline any more, have not missed it in about 4 years.
Phsycronix5 h, 12 m ago

I too, had the Email. However, the way I read it - if your "add-on" was …I too, had the Email. However, the way I read it - if your "add-on" was part of your FP contract and the add-on was "free" then it WON'T increase until your current contract/boost expires. I obviously don't know the 'particulars' of the OP's deal but I'd feel a bit silly sending an Email to the CEO without fully understanding the details first. Maybe a "Live chat" to their CS would've been prudent to clarify things first?I have free calls for the life of my contract as a "boost" but it definitely reads along the lines of: if your boost was part of your contract and NOT a chargeable boost, i.e. the boost offered something free, then it won't suddenly become chargeable at the new price. It will remain free until your contract (or boost) expires/is renewed. You would then pay to keep the boost - or try to renegotiate the 'free' status on a new contract, as I do!Also, I can remember reading in small print somewhere that they do reserve the right to increase prices on 'boosts' so; in practice; they are true to their word and don't increase the fixed price BB package you signed up for. I don't feel it's them being "sneaky" at all.So, OP. I hope I'm correct in saying if your "add-on" boost was a charge-free boost - i.e. free calls etc. then it will remain free. If it was only a part boost - like "free calls for six months" on a 12 or 18 month contract then, yes, once it expires you would pay the new, full/increased price - which is correct.Best regards, Phsy.

To me, it reads that the price will be going up next month. It seems to make that pretty clear. I tried dealing with the standard CS a few months ago but didn't get anywhere hence why I had to go through the CEO's office and got compensated for the lack of service. And spoke to someone who could have a conversation in English!
Phsycronix26th Jun

Haha, right you were sir!!

They phoned today to say that as I have it included for free in my package then the price increase doesn't apply to me until that offer runs out. Quite why they couldn't have added those few words onto the email is beyond me. Oh wait, it's Talktalk!!
They phoned again today to offer me £5 to say sorry for not making it clear on the email, better than a kick in the teeth I guess!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions