TalkTalk Mobile, PlusNet Mobile, or ID Mobile?

Found 3rd Apr 2017
I've just given notice with Three and am looking at either moving to PlusNet, TalkTalk Mobile or ID Mobile. I'd be interested in opinions and experience. Factors and packages I'm weighing up are below. Am I missing anything you have experience of, like cost to use abroad, weird things like charged to check voicemail etc, or any other benefits of the individual networks such as their customer service?

PlusNet Mobile:

* 1GB Data
* 250 Minutes
* 500 text
* 30 day contract
* 4G network - I believe they're based on EE
* Tethering

£5 a month. £3 cashback with TCB.

TalkTalk Mobile:
I already have a free SIM with them as have my broadband with them and they included this, it's valid up to January next year.

* 1GB Data - 500MB data included for free and their 500MB top up is £5 - so I expect I'd be spending this £5 each month putting the cost on par with PlusNet or ID Mobile.
* 200 minutes
* Unlimited text
* 'Contract' up to January 2018, but I'll only pay if I add the extra 500MB each month
* 3G network currently on Vodafone. Moving to 02 for 4G in the future (not sure when?)
* Tethering

ID Mobile:

* 1.5GB Data - with the ability to roll over unused data to the next month.
* 250 Minutes
* 5000 text
* 30 day contract
* 4G network - based on Three
* Tethering NOT currently supported

£5 a month. £5.05 cashback with TCB.
Community Updates
AskMobilesMobile Phone
27 Comments
Avoid ID like the plague - mistakenly put a £1.73 charge on my account and didn't inform me. I find out 3 months later when I go to the bank who refused me finance because there was a mark on my credit record. I call ID and get nowhere for over a hour. Then finally get told they will fix it and will take upto 2 weeks. After 2 weeks get told will be done next week. Hear that every week for 6weeks after I initially contacted them. I give up and chased it with equifax in the end and it was finally cleared. They CS is terrible spoke to so many people and didn't even get a proper apology.

There's plenty of posts on the previous ID threads about their terrible service. Above is my personal experience.
hassanomar

Avoid ID like the plague - mistakenly put a £1.73 charge on my account … Avoid ID like the plague - mistakenly put a £1.73 charge on my account and didn't inform me. I find out 3 months later when I go to the bank who refused me finance because there was a mark on my credit record. I call ID and get nowhere for over a hour. Then finally get told they will fix it and will take upto 2 weeks. After 2 weeks get told will be done next week. Hear that every week for 6weeks after I initially contacted them. I give up and chased it with equifax in the end and it was finally cleared. They CS is terrible spoke to so many people and didn't even get a proper apology. There's plenty of posts on the previous ID threads about their terrible service. Above is my personal experience.

^^^ This

I was with ID, gave them 30 days notice, as required for 30 day sim contract. Ended the contract, and they never sent or even tried to tell me there would be £2.84 to pay "final bill". No text, no letter, and the final email I had from them was a "We're sorry to see you go..."email with no mention of what, if anything, I may have owed.

I never even knew there was anything to pay until 6 months later, I notice something affecting my credit score, and low and behold, there was an "outstanding telecoms account" marked as SEVERELY IN ARREARS", complete with 6 months of red markers!

That set my score back literally 6 months, and it's only recently it's been rising again.

All due to their complete and utter incompetence. I have also a friend who had similar problems over a so called "un paid bill", they knew nothing about.

Edited by: "artnada" 3rd Apr 2017
My better half and son are both with plusnet and haven't had issues whatsoever, nothing more to add as it's been fine!
Good luck.
I've got 2 contracts with Plusnet no issues since they took over from the last company (they bought them out)

Although if you plan to use your phone abroad, i'd be sticking with 3 or at least looking to get a better contract out of them. They can't be beaten if you use the phone abroad.
mac9091

Although if you plan to use your phone abroad, i'd be sticking with 3 or … Although if you plan to use your phone abroad, i'd be sticking with 3 or at least looking to get a better contract out of them. They can't be beaten if you use the phone abroad.

Thanks. The best Three could offer me was 1GB, 600mins, 5k text, Feel at Home and tethering for £8. I had been paying £4.79 for that, apart from the ability to tether. The way I see it I'm £36 a year better off on a £5 deal from another provider without the Feel at Home benefit, and I'm unlikely to spend £36 on using my mobile abroad (although I realise that could be easily done!).
Had connection problems with giffgaff. Moved to plusnet .... Everything fine and £5 a month, i think it's a bargain for good connection ....;)
I went from EE to TalkTalk mobile but I actually paid off my contract after 2 months to get rid of them. Couldn't get a signal anywhere I needed to (they use Vodafone) and data was slow when I could get a signal.

I moved from TalkTalk to LIFE Mobile (now PlusNet) and it's been much better.

I'm now on one of Plusnet's new 4G tariffs (using EE) and it's great. Can't see any difference in speed to when I was on EE Direct a couple of years ago, but obviously they're much cheaper.

A couple of things about Plusnet that might be important to you:

1) They don't support SMS shortcodes, so no voting numbers, charity donation numbers etc.

2) They don't (yet) have a mobile app to check your balance etc. although have been promising one as "coming soon" for over a year. However, you can log in to their web-site to check balances.

3) Customer service has always been great in my experience - even after the were taken over by Plusnet (who don't have great CS reputation for broadband). Twitter, online chat and by phone are all equally good.

4) You do need to contact Customer Services to get things like voicemail, roaming etc. turned on or off.

5) If you have an iPhone you can't use Visual Voicemail or Wi-Fi Calling (as on EE), even though they use the EE network.

Hope that helps.
Talk talk sim only pretty good. Its cost me very little or have even been in pocket after cashback. Also had a 4 pound charge a couple of times somehow, some sort of 3rd party texting scam. They deducted the cost straight away.
Edited by: "mrman007" 3rd Apr 2017
well what's total amount u need at moment u have 500mb 200 mins and ultd texts. so I assume u want a bit more data and maybe mins aswell if it's not too much more data maybe and that's only thing extra u want maybe pick up a 3 data sim which gives 200mb data and I think u can tether aswell as a 2nd sim if that makes it cheaper for u.
MynameisM

well what's total amount u need at moment u have 500mb 200 mins and ultd … well what's total amount u need at moment u have 500mb 200 mins and ultd texts. so I assume u want a bit more data and maybe mins aswell if it's not too much more data maybe and that's only thing extra u want maybe pick up a 3 data sim which gives 200mb data and I think u can tether aswell as a 2nd sim if that makes it cheaper for u.

​it's 200mb free every month so that say let's see how long it lasts they advertised free Skype for ever but stopped it can't trust these network promises though can we.
morgie

Thanks. The best Three could offer me was 1GB, 600mins, 5k text, Feel at … Thanks. The best Three could offer me was 1GB, 600mins, 5k text, Feel at Home and tethering for £8. I had been paying £4.79 for that, apart from the ability to tether. The way I see it I'm £36 a year better off on a £5 deal from another provider without the Feel at Home benefit, and I'm unlikely to spend £36 on using my mobile abroad (although I realise that could be easily done!).

Thats the thing: £36 better off but one trip abroad could cost that easily. Is it worth it to you, thats the only question.

I'm still on a T-Mobile tariff because i have U/L data that i can tether with, 2000 mins and U/L texts. Barely touch the texts (50pm maybe) and same with the minutes (6-800 mins) £18 per month, which for the most part is way, way over the odds for my usage but the odd occasion when i go away with work i could smash well over 100GB on my laptop and EE (obviously was T-Mobile) can say about it. I now dread them calling me and giving me my 30 days notice as i've been out of the contracted term for over a year now
I've got 4 x TalkTalk Mobile accounts and although I agree with poor signal in my area, it's fine away from our village.
Normally the cashback from Quidco or Topcashback makes the 12 month contract free, but no longer available for cashback since the weekend!
Hopefully the cashback offers will return, or I'll have to start paying for mobile accounts!
A few months back I was with ID, they were alright but the customer service wasn't the best and they 9vercharged me on one of my bills.

I switched over to Plusnet and porting my number took a little longer than advised so they gave me my first bill free! Never had a problem with them over charging me at all.

Hope this helped.
I'ver not had any issues with TT, if you can get a Vodafone signal then you should be fine. The only issue is that it's 3G only and no sign of 4G on the horizon (it's been 'coming soon' for ages!)
I have been with Life/Plusnet for around 18 months never had any problem and customer service is very good, wouldn't touch Talk Talk or ID because of their poor reputation. If your planning on holidaying in a EEC country no roaming charge from mid June I believe.
mac9091

Thats the thing: £36 better off but one trip abroad could cost that … Thats the thing: £36 better off but one trip abroad could cost that easily. Is it worth it to you, thats the only question.

It is the question indeed. The best Three will offer me on the phone is:

* £10 for 1GB, 600 mins, some amount of text that isn't needed and Feel At Home and Tethering

* £12 for 4GB, AYCA mins, AYCA text and Feel At Home and Tethering

These are just standard deals from their website though, nothing special for being a customer of 7yrs+. This got me thinking what cashback might be available for a new contract.....

Right now TCB offer 8GB data, 600 mins, AYCA text with Feel at Home and tethering for £12 a month (12 month contract) but with £55 cashback. That makes the monthly cost after cashback £7.42 !

Questions now being -

1. Should I qualify for the cashback as an existing customer?

2. Can I use the PAC from my existing number with Three to move to my new SIM / contract with them?

Anyone got experience here? TIA.

Edited by: "morgie" 4th Apr 2017
1. Nope
2. You can use the PAC to move to any company, but if your referring to a new contract with 3, then no as its the same company and they'll just change the details on the account.
mac9091

1. Nope

TCB list the only thing as stopping you getting cashback as using a code not approved by them. Am I missing some small print?

mac9091

2. You can use the PAC to move to any company, but if your referring to a … 2. You can use the PAC to move to any company, but if your referring to a new contract with 3, then no as its the same company and they'll just change the details on the account.

Just went on chat with them. They advised take it to a PAYG with them, then move it. Otherwise I'd have to use the PAC to move to another network, then back again.

mac9091

1. Nope

mac9091

2. You can use the PAC to move to any company, but if your referring to … 2. You can use the PAC to move to any company, but if your referring to a new contract with 3, then no as its the same company and they'll just change the details on the account.

1. Offers are for new customers, so if you have a number with them (or normally within the last year) your not a new customer. There will be small print to say something like you may get the discount but when they realise your not a new customer they reserve the right to charge you full price.

2. Rubbish. Are they saying that you can't move onto a new tariff and keep the same number?
mac9091

1. Offers are for new customers, so if you have a number with them (or … 1. Offers are for new customers, so if you have a number with them (or normally within the last year) your not a new customer. There will be small print to say something like you may get the discount but when they realise your not a new customer they reserve the right to charge you full price.

It's something they could easily state. I will try it, but as usual not make a decision based on cashback paying out. The deal even before cashback is still better than what they'll offer me over the phone. Also, see reply #122 here.

mac9091

2. Rubbish. Are they saying that you can't move onto a new tariff and … 2. Rubbish. Are they saying that you can't move onto a new tariff and keep the same number?

No, they were just saying that a PAC is used to move to another provider, so they can't transfer a Three number to a new Three SIM on a new contract with a PAC. They advised instead take it to PAYG, then you can transfer it to your new SIM on the new contract.
Edited by: "morgie" 5th Apr 2017
mac9091

1. Offers are for new customers, so if you have a number with them (or … 1. Offers are for new customers, so if you have a number with them (or normally within the last year) your not a new customer. There will be small print to say something like you may get the discount but when they realise your not a new customer they reserve the right to charge you full price.

mac9091

2. Rubbish. Are they saying that you can't move onto a new tariff and … 2. Rubbish. Are they saying that you can't move onto a new tariff and keep the same number?

They probably do mention it (but hidden) in the T+Cs. I know Very will allow customers to set up multiple accounts at the same address despite it being against thier T+Cs and (attempt to) only allow one discount code on 1st purchases. When you use two codes at seperate times on the accounts they try to charge the full price. The work around there is to pay for the discounted price in full at time of order and not on a monthly/credit basis.

There should be no issue getting a new 3 tariff and staying on the same number with 3, if they tell you otherwise they are talking crap. As they say you don't need a PAC if you are staying with the same supplier.
mac9091

There should be no issue getting a new 3 tariff and staying on the same … There should be no issue getting a new 3 tariff and staying on the same number with 3, if they tell you otherwise they are talking crap. As they say you don't need a PAC if you are staying with the same supplier.

I think my situation is not the norm though - if I was staying with them on the same contract they'd switch my package and I'd stay on the same number of course. What I'm looking to do is end my current contract, and join as a new customer (as I can get a better deal), but then get back to my old number. Taking my 'old' number to a PAYG, to then transfer over makes sense to me.
3 have stated that you can cancel your current contract and then immediately (or a day or two before) take out another contract with them as a new customer?
mac9091

3 have stated that you can cancel your current contract and then … 3 have stated that you can cancel your current contract and then immediately (or a day or two before) take out another contract with them as a new customer?

They haven't stated anything, but you can have more than one contract with them, I don't think there's anything unusual in that? Whether they classify me as a new customer or not is up to them as the cashback element would be too.
I'd phone up and check some details before committing and ask some questions without identifying who you are.
Changed all 5 phones from Giffgaff to plusnet. Found a provider that gives better data speeds.
dlozuk

Changed all 5 phones from Giffgaff to plusnet. Found a provider that … Changed all 5 phones from Giffgaff to plusnet. Found a provider that gives better data speeds.

Giffgaff are only there to make o2 as much money as they can, and hope their loyal customers don't notice. We had loads of sims with them until last year then I was speaking with a friend at work who had just taken out a new contract with virgin who was only on 3G at the time, I said to her it only 3G and she said it's fast though. Son we did a speed test, me on my GG 4g and I got 2Mb, she got 16! After that it was time to move. At the same time GG managing director posted on their forum about the amazing year and the profits they had made. Everyone congratulated him except a couple of us, who questioned when they were going to start looking after customers, with netter data speeds, he actually responded or one of his team at least. Excuse was they were generating amazing profit for o2 to reinvest in the network, true but that only allows o2 to provide good speeds for their other customers still at the expense of GG.

Tried a few over the last 6 months, Tesco, good speeds and customer service, but generally more expensive, Life and also Plusnet, many connection issues and terrible porting of numbers across, Id did sign up with them but cancelled after reading the reviews, no issues with the cancellation. Virgin ported number on 1 hour, speeds the same as Plusnet but no connection issues. Signed daughter up to 3 using the friends and family trick 4gb of data worked out at £48 a month after the vouchers, coverage isn't brilliant but works where we need it. Freedom hopeless system, need to use their app for texts and phone.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants