Expired

talktalk want to charge me for youview box even though i am outside of their contract?

Found 20th Feb 2014
hi i signed up on a deal here posted for talktalk, tv, phone and internet. This was when they first had talktalk tv. Now i am a month away from my minimum term contract (18 months). i had done online chat with talktalk giving them my 30days notice, however the representative said i will be charged termination fee of £200 for the youview box if i dont send it back. That doesnt sound right to me as the contract has come to an end, its not as though i am cancelling early. Hoping to gain some more insight from others please.

regards

13 Comments

Check out the talk talk forums. You will see when your contract has ended the box is yours. Is your contract definitely 18 months as I know when they first started it was 24. See half way down this link at the green section. that confirms a conversation someone had.
talktalkmembers.com/t5/…236

Edited by: "redhot999" 20th Feb 2014

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Did they ever say you own the box or is it a loan? Virgin media charge if … Did they ever say you own the box or is it a loan? Virgin media charge if you don't return their box.

Hi the deal said free youview box, i read the t&c at the time and it certainly didnt say i would need to return it, however just looked now and their t&c been updated
"Deferred set top box fees
Your Essentials TV or Plus TV package will have included a free set top box as well as your TalkTalk TV services. If you are still in contract with TalkTalk, one of the following fees may apply when you cancel your TV package.

YouView+ Box (Plus TV customers) - £200

YouView Box (Essentials TV customers) - £100"

i dont have a copy of the old t&c unfortunately, looked through my emails and everything, the links on the email just direct it to their website.

Original Poster

redhot999

Check out the talk talk forums. You will see when your contract has ended … Check out the talk talk forums. You will see when your contract has ended the box is yours. Is your contract definitely 18 months as I know when they first started it was 24. See half way down this link at the green section. that confirms a conversation someone had. http://www.talktalkmembers.com/t5/Plus-Essentials-TV/Downgrade-to-Essentials-TV/td-p/1091236

yes my contract is 18 months i remember because their t&c said 18 months when the deal first started to which i signed up, my email confirmed this. later i noticed they changed it to 24 months. And had to argue with them that i signed up when it was 18 months. thanks for the link will try them tomorrow.

Ask them for a copy of the tc's that were in force when you signed up, but be aware that may contain a clause that allows them to change the tc's, read it very carefully when you get it.

MR1123

yes my contract is 18 months i remember because their t&c said 18 months … yes my contract is 18 months i remember because their t&c said 18 months when the deal first started to which i signed up, my email confirmed this. later i noticed they changed it to 24 months. And had to argue with them that i signed up when it was 18 months. thanks for the link will try them tomorrow.

If you have an email confirming the 18mths then you're laughing. As you'll be out of contract nothing to pay. Interestingly I am one of the few who managed to get a 12 month TV plus contract. I made sure my record has it highlighted it is 12 months (I successfully left Supanet with no fees so have had experience of deceitful cancellation teams).
Edited by: "redhot999" 20th Feb 2014

did you sign up to this offer over the phone or on the internet?

Did you receive a contract which then you signed? or was it sent to an email address?

If you completed the sale over the phone, the contract is made on that call only, and unless they send you a contract to sign (which most dont anyways) - it doesnt matter whats in their terms and conditions.
What has been told to you over the phone is exactly what your contract is.

If you completed this over the internet, you may need to write to to them requesting all documents and information, under the freedom of information act. Unfortunately, speaking to customer services doesnt always get you what you want.

If you were sold a package which included 'a free box' - they cannot then charge you for something that you believed was free.
However, they can alter your package price - and usually do - by blaming external influences.
Try citizens advice for more information - but do not pay them a penny!

MR1123

Hi the deal said free youview box, i read the t&c at the time and it … Hi the deal said free youview box, i read the t&c at the time and it certainly didnt say i would need to return it, however just looked now and their t&c been updated "Deferred set top box feesYour Essentials TV or Plus TV package will have included a free set top box as well as your TalkTalk TV services. If you are still in contract with TalkTalk, one of the following fees may apply when you cancel your TV package.YouView+ Box (Plus TV customers) - £200YouView Box (Essentials TV customers) - £100"i dont have a copy of the old t&c unfortunately, looked through my emails and everything, the links on the email just direct it to their website.

i read that as they only charge if cancelling within your contract period. cancel when out of contract.

As far as I know most ISPs require 30 days notice or they won't refund the month you pay upfront. Alot of people aren't organised enough to give notice and just switch via new ISP. You often have to chase them for it too. Virgin only refunded my dad when I reminded him to insist they give it back as he had given notice.

My previous ISP Supanet complicated things by saying you had to give written notice and call cancellations team and then try to deny you contacted them (stupid really as there are call log records but you would be amazed the lies they would tell). The cancellations team were cheating lowlife scumbags but there was no way I was going to let them get away with taking my money including ridiculous amounts for early termination which was ****. If I had all day to describe how difficult they were to leave pretending you had started a new contract when you hadn't I still couldn't get over how awful they were. I was lucky though. I had hard copy contracts terms and conditions email evidence (i asked them to confirm in writing two years before i left i had not changed my contract as i knew their reputation) and the help of a few customer service workers who managed to save my sanity by siding with me as they were the ones originally involved in the email evidence. Many people weren't so lucky and have been fleeced by their unscrupulous tactics.
So if you give notice make sure they refund your upfront month as no doubt you will have to remind them

Edited by: "redhot999" 21st Feb 2014

MR1123

yes my contract is 18 months i remember because their t&c said 18 months … yes my contract is 18 months i remember because their t&c said 18 months when the deal first started to which i signed up, my email confirmed this. later i noticed they changed it to 24 months. And had to argue with them that i signed up when it was 18 months. thanks for the link will try them tomorrow.

Any luck sorting things out?

Original Poster

st8mike

Ask them for a copy of the tc's that were in force when you signed up, … Ask them for a copy of the tc's that were in force when you signed up, but be aware that may contain a clause that allows them to change the tc's, read it very carefully when you get it.

I asked them, they directed me to their website, after mentioning when i signed up for the second time, he advised me it woud have been with the welcome pack i received. which i dont think i have.
redhot999

If you have an email confirming the 18mths then you're laughing. As … If you have an email confirming the 18mths then you're laughing. As you'll be out of contract nothing to pay. Interestingly I am one of the few who managed to get a 12 month TV plus contract. I made sure my record has it highlighted it is 12 months (I successfully left Supanet with no fees so have had experience of deceitful cancellation teams).

hi yes i have the email stating 18 months,which eventually they changed at the time of getting the deal. I contacted talktalk again today and he referred me to the deferred fees again £200. I mentioned that my welcome pack doesnt say the youview box is a loan, it states a free youview box and nowhere in the t&c it states it must be returned or a fee is applicable. He just keeps saying if you dont return it a fee will be charged. So may need to speak with someone higher. worst comes to worst if i find the welcome pack, and talktalk charge me £200, will do a chargeback and provide the bank with the welcome pack as evidence. Thanks

Edited by: "MR1123" 21st Feb 2014

MR1123

I asked them, they directed me to their website, after mentioning when i … I asked them, they directed me to their website, after mentioning when i signed up for the second time, he advised me it woud have been with the welcome pack i received. which i dont think i have.hi yes i have the email stating 18 months,which eventually they changed at the time of getting the deal. I contacted talktalk again today and he referred me to the deferred fees again £200. I mentioned that my welcome pack doesnt say the youview box is a loan, it states a free youview box and nowhere in the t&c it states it must be returned or a fee is applicable. He just keeps saying if you dont return it a fee will be charged. So may need to speak with someone higher. worst comes to worst if i find the welcome pack, and talktalk charge me £200, will do a chargeback and provide the bank with the welcome pack as evidence. Thanks

It's rubbish. You only have to see the number for sale on EBay to know it's rubbish

Original Poster

redhot999

It's rubbish. You only have to see the number for sale on EBay to know … It's rubbish. You only have to see the number for sale on EBay to know it's rubbish

wow your right just checked it use to go for £200+, ive never watched youview as i have sky thought it was still going for alot on ebay, at this rate i might aswell hand deliver it to talktalk.

MR1123

wow your right just checked it use to go for £200+, ive never watched … wow your right just checked it use to go for £200+, ive never watched youview as i have sky thought it was still going for alot on ebay, at this rate i might aswell hand deliver it to talktalk.

You don't have to send it back anyway. Clause 6.10 implies if outside minimum period you are fine.
talktalk.co.uk/leg…tml
Post a comment
@
    Text