Groups

Tamiflu - Any experiences?

If anyone has had this prescribed to their child I'd like to hear about it.

I have googled lots and the side effects seem a bit severe.

I just wondered if anyone had some knowledge or experience?

39 Comments

I was gonna vote cold but people might think I'm taking the P***

badunn;5706176

I was gonna vote cold but people might think I'm taking the P***

I think this is a serious post, don't you?

and......

badunn;5706236

and......

Oh i get it, your the kind that gets kicks from drowning kittens and stuff....i'll remember for next time :?

badunn;5706236

and......

go away

boothy;5706287

go away

Agreed
    On a serious note, i have heard if you can't get the meds into the child, try it in yogurt. Hope all is well soon x

Banned

Lulu'sMammy;5706356

Agreed :)On a serious note, i have heard if you can't get the meds into … Agreed :)On a serious note, i have heard if you can't get the meds into the child, try it in yogurt. Hope all is well soon x

what a good idea, might try it next time my eldest gets antibiotics :thumbsup:

Banned

I've just popped in to laugh at some drowned kittens. Could you point me in the wrong direction please

Seriously, the OP is probably just gonna give it to the kid to be on the safe side - thats no sleight on the OP, more the IQ and parenting skills of the general population of this forum.
    I see both sides of the coin.

if its serious, I hope the kid gets better soon

Banned

jtx - has your kid any need for Tamiflu?

if so - hope he/she gets better soon

if not - who cares?

It kind of helped with my bird flu!! didnt have any side effects

My son was prescribed it today and to be honest, I'm going to hold off giving it to him unless he doesn't improve in the next 24 hours, or if he gets worse. What they don't advertise about the Tamiflu is that you get pretty nasty side effects from it that last the whole of the 10 day course. The main side effects are a 10 day headache combined with nausea or vomiting.

I don't want to subject my little boy to that unless I think he's not getting better fast enough, or unless he gets worse. It would be hard enough for me to deal with 10 days of throwing up combined with a headache, so I'm not going to push it on a 4 year old unless really really necessary

tinkerbell28;5706651

If your child has been prescribed Tamiflu and you are unsure ask the GP, … If your child has been prescribed Tamiflu and you are unsure ask the GP, also if it has been prescribed, don't hold off giving it, Gp's won't be prescribing Tamiflu as a precaution, children can be vunerable, so speak to the Dr, with your concerns x

It wasn't my gp that prescribed it, it was the East Berkshire something or another (very technical :-D ) My sister gave me the number to call as she also called it this morning for her daughter, but a woman from there called me back and had to go and pick up the prescription from a special collection point, not the gp. The reason I'm holding back on it for now is my sister spoke to her gp after speaking to this woman (as her youngest and my nan are classed as very high risk) and her gp said don't give it unless absolutely necessary as it's really awful, and I think my son would find it harder dealing with 10 days of vomiting than getting over his fever. It's only been 24 hours and it's already gone down a lot, which is why I don't want to make him worse again. They don't put any of this stuff in the being a mum books, do they!

Original Poster

Thanks for the replys (well most of them:roll:) after ringing the doctors today my daughter was prescribed Tamiflu, she hasn't even been seen by a doctor and they have said they will not send a doctor out, and do not take her to the doctors or the hospital.:o It just seems a bit strange that they can prescribe something that has some strong side effects without even seeing her. I just gave the symptoms and hey presto, come pick up your prescription. I have given her a tablet and it she says she feels worse since taking the tablet, yet this is apparently normal:?

Original Poster

vibeone;5706493

no sleight on the OP, more the IQ and parenting skills of the general … no sleight on the OP, more the IQ and parenting skills of the general population of this forum.

Would you care to explain what you mean by that:thinking:

jtx;5706920

Thanks for the replys (well most of them:roll:) after ringing the doctors … Thanks for the replys (well most of them:roll:) after ringing the doctors today my daughter was prescribed Tamiflu, she hasn't even been seen by a doctor and they have said they will not send a doctor out, and do not take her to the doctors or the hospital.:o It just seems a bit strange that they can prescribe something that has some strong side effects without even seeing her. I just gave the symptoms and hey presto, come pick up your prescription. I have given her a tablet and it she says she feels worse since taking the tablet, yet this is apparently normal:?

It is the normal procedure for them to advise she stays at home and they just prescribe the anti virals nhs.uk/Ale…spx

If you are concerned about the effects it is having on her ring your GP or Nhs Direct

Banned

jtx;5707114

Would you care to explain what you mean by that:thinking:

I thought it was pretty clear and precise? As stated, not a sleight on you, but it was important to find out the reasons for you wanting information, because this forum is seemingly full of really bad parents - have a look through some of the other threads in misc!

As you have explained the situation (and btw, hope the kids ok), you can safely assume I don't mean you.

It's amazing they giving out things left right and centre,but when you call up and certain as parent your child got something like impetigo or cunjuctivitis eye infection,they insist on you going down and being seen before prescription given out.
    Is this going be the thing,cos soon they know they not going cope and be able to see everyone.
    Surely some people just may have a general cold,sore throat bit of a high temperature and not this swine flu? So why they handing out meds so freely,when usually they say only take something if you def got so and so infection and so on.

Can you show me a link? Because i think its fairly unfair to make "bad parent" judgements based on what people type.

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5707313

It's amazing they giving out things left right and centre,but when you … It's amazing they giving out things left right and centre,but when you call up and certain as parent your child got something like impetigo or cunjuctivitis eye infection,they insist on you going down and being seen before prescription given out.Is this going be the thing,cos soon they know they not going cope and be able to see everyone.Surely some people just may have a general cold,sore throat bit of a high temperature and not this swine flu? So why they handing out meds so freely,when usually they say only take something if you def got so and so infection and so on.

They are diagnosing over the phone to prevent it spreading to people it could seriously effect (people with underlying illnesses, etc who would be in the gp's surgery). Any other such people will be fine - its just flu

On another note, do people who normally have to pay for prescriptions, have to pay for this?

Banned

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5707313

It's amazing they giving out things left right and centre,but when you … It's amazing they giving out things left right and centre,but when you call up and certain as parent your child got something like impetigo or cunjuctivitis eye infection,they insist on you going down and being seen before prescription given out.Is this going be the thing,cos soon they know they not going cope and be able to see everyone.Surely some people just may have a general cold,sore throat bit of a high temperature and not this swine flu? So why they handing out meds so freely,when usually they say only take something if you def got so and so infection and so on.

Come on now. On HUKD you see first hand the absolute lunatics that are allowed to have kids these days - is it any wonder they don't believe you?

Swine flu is a little different, because I believe it is DEFINITELY happening

Original Poster

fireheaven;5707271

It is the normal procedure for them to advise she stays at home and they … It is the normal procedure for them to advise she stays at home and they just prescribe the anti virals http://www.nhs.uk/AlertsEmergencies/Pages/Pandemicflualert.aspxIf you are concerned about the effects it is having on her ring your GP or Nhs Direct

Thanks, I expect they have been inundated with calls. I have called a few times and never thought to check the website again for updates:oops:

jtx;5707348

Thanks, I expect they have been inundated with calls. I have called a few … Thanks, I expect they have been inundated with calls. I have called a few times and never thought to check the website again:oops:

Check the swine flu lastest link on the right as to why they are dealing with it this way - it does make sense and if you are struggling to get through keep trying or try your local swine flu helpline

dimebars;5706561

jtx - has your kid any need for Tamiflu?if so - hope he/she gets better … jtx - has your kid any need for Tamiflu?if so - hope he/she gets better soonif not - who cares?

is it just me or is this site becoming a joke...

its meant to be a community thing, and you come into this thread and you **** them off,, just stay out the ******* thread

vibeone;5707335

Come on now. On HUKD you see first hand the absolute lunatics that are … Come on now. On HUKD you see first hand the absolute lunatics that are allowed to have kids these days - is it any wonder they don't believe you?Swine flu is a little different, because I believe it is DEFINITELY happening

lol I'm not no lunatic I assure you,but just seems they fairly giving out meds rather freely when they been so strict with other fairly routine stuff that myself as parent are fully aware of that needs treatment.

Lots about it on here and everywhere else,seems some are getting meds,and not others.

i know someone who was prescribed it just as a precautionery measure but turned out he didnt have swein flu. the side affects he suffered were vometing after taking the pill. just make sure you complete the tamiflu course given and not cut it of in the middle of the course.

Banned

JboyJayJason;5707405

is it just me or is this site becoming a joke...its meant to be a … is it just me or is this site becoming a joke...its meant to be a community thing, and you come into this thread and you **** them off,, just stay out the ******* thread

yes it is, but not the reason you stated. It's a joke because of the incessant help threads (i dont mean this one though).

There's 'community' and there's 'inbred moron community that needs notices stuck to their own feet with "Do not eat" written on them"

Original Poster

JboyJayJason;5707405

is it just me or is this site becoming a joke...its meant to be a … is it just me or is this site becoming a joke...its meant to be a community thing, and you come into this thread and you **** them off,, just stay out the ******* thread

No it isn't. I have got some great advice, we all just need to learn to ignore the rest and don't get wound up. Just don't rise to it. pretend it's not there:whistling:

Thank you

Banned

and everyone was taking the **** about swine flu.

jtx/C&L I hope you guys are taking extra precautions yourself so you don't infect other members of the public.

I hope your children get better soon.

Original Poster

vibeone;5707645

yes it is, but not the reason you stated. It's a joke because of the … yes it is, but not the reason you stated. It's a joke because of the incessant help threads (i dont mean this one though).There's 'community' and there's 'inbred moron community that needs notices stuck to their own feet with "Do not eat" written on them"

Well if I don't like a thread I just stay out of it. And I am not 'wise' enough to make assumptions like you do. Parenting is no easy feat and I'm doing my best, which is a lot more than some parents do.
    I am not claiming to be the best dad in the world, but that is my aim and I know for sure my little girl feels loved by her Daddy which is the best feeling in the world.

Maybe one day you will be as lucky as one of those low iq parents that you despise so much. But one thing is guaranteed. You will never be as lucky as me

Banned

jtx;5707759

Well if I don't like a thread I just stay out of it. And I am not 'wise' … Well if I don't like a thread I just stay out of it. And I am not 'wise' enough to make assumptions like you do. Parenting is no easy feat and I'm doing my best, which is a lot more than some parents do.I am not claiming to be the best dad in the world, but that is my aim and I know for sure my little girl feels loved by her Daddy which is the best feeling in the world. Maybe one day you will be as lucky as one of those low iq parents that you despise so much. But one thing is guaranteed. You will never be as lucky as me

you seem to think im attacking you... but im not.

Original Poster

vibeone;5707832

you seem to think im attacking you... but im not.

I don't think that at all.

But I feel for the people who you attack who do not have the capability to even try and defend themselves through no fault of their own. Not everyone can be as talented and smart as vibeone. You need to learn that.

No need to disrespect anyone:thumbsup:

Banned

jtx;5707904

I don't think that at all.But I feel for the people who you attack who do … I don't think that at all.But I feel for the people who you attack who do not have the capability to even try and defend themselves through no fault of their own. Not everyone can be as talented and smart as vibeone. You need to learn that. No need to disrespect anyone:thumbsup:

He is only experienced when it comes to putting things in his mouth.

Banned

bykergrove;5707948

He is only experienced when it comes to putting things in his mouth.

must. try. harder.

That really is pitiful.

Hmm, Tamilflu is a 10 day course, and after it you feel better, however, flu only last around 10 days anyway. Does this Tamiflu actually do anything? Or are the makers of it laughing all the way to the bank?

Banned

vibeone;5708268

must. try. harder.That really is pitiful.

It's quite clever actually with three possible meanings. :thumbsup:

Banned

peodude;5708457

Hmm, Tamilflu is a 10 day course, and after it you feel better, however, … Hmm, Tamilflu is a 10 day course, and after it you feel better, however, flu only last around 10 days anyway. Does this Tamiflu actually do anything? Or are the makers of it laughing all the way to the bank?

sugar pill anyone?

Banned

bykergrove;5708551

It's quite clever actually with three possible meanings. :thumbsup:

nah - seriously, its just embarrassing for ya. The fact you think its 'clever' is even more concerning.

You really need to work on your comedy.

Banned

depress here

http://truebluetrooper.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/panic-button.jpg
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…2174
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3741454
      3. TEKKEN goes mobile (iOS/Andorid)22
      4. WHY CANT I JUST TYPE IN THE TEXT BOX33

See more discussions