Tanker drivers start four-day strike over pay

Banned 19 replies
Found 13th Jun 2008
As described above the tanker drivers have gone on strike for 4 days.Do you agree with this or is it going to cause more concern for the car driver who firstly have to endure fuel rises and now maybe fuel shortage.

Hundreds of fuel tanker drivers have begun a four-day strike in a row over pay, picketing Shell sites across the UK.
The industrial action began after talks between the Unite union and managers from two firms which deliver fuel to Shell garages broke down amid fears it could cause petrol shortages.
Striking tanker drivers mounted picket lines at a number of Shell sites based at oil terminals including Stanlow in Merseyside, Avonmouth, Plymouth, Pembroke, Cardiff, Kingsbury, Basildon, Grangemouth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Jarrow and a small site at Luton Airport.
The strike will affect one in 10 of Britain's 9,500 filling stations, but the Government and the oil and transport industries have urged motorists not to panic-buy fuel.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown refused to rule out calling in the Army to keep fuel flowing, warning that the Government was willing to do "everything we can" to stop petrol pumps running dry.
Union leaders warned fuel would start to run out "almost immediately" and all Shell's forecourts would be affected within 24 hours.
But the UK Petrol Industry Association (UKPIA), which represents oil refiners, told the BBC stocks at forecourts across the UK were at normal levels and most garages would have around four days of supplies.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
18 Comments

You dont wanna be on the picket line outside of stanlow, its just opposite a landfill site. it stinks!

Original Poster Banned

MinstrelMan;2303440

You dont wanna be on the picket line outside of stanlow, its just … You dont wanna be on the picket line outside of stanlow, its just opposite a landfill site. it stinks!

poo stinky:oops:

Unions would say that we'd run out almost immediately. That way people panick buy and lo and behold a self fulfilling prophecy. Have heard about this but don't know why they are actually striking. Is it pay?

Original Poster Banned

hellfire;2303492

Unions would say that we'd run out almost immediately. That way people … Unions would say that we'd run out almost immediately. That way people panick buy and lo and behold a self fulfilling prophecy. Have heard about this but don't know why they are actually striking. Is it pay?

it is but I bet they get paid more than most anyway

i have been on strike myself its not a nice thing to do. public support makes it easier but i find it hard to support these guys 6.8% is a great offer this would make their average salary £39000 from £32000 before overtime , i can only dream of a salary that big nevermind the 6.8% pay rise.

figures taken from bbc news page ]http//ne…stm

ding;2303557

i have been on strike myself its not a nice thing to do. public support … i have been on strike myself its not a nice thing to do. public support makes it easier but i find it hard to support these guys 6.8% is a great offer this would make their average salary £39000 from £32000 before overtime , i can only dream of a salary that big nevermind the 6.8% pay rise.figures taken from bbc news page ]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7447548.stm

With figures like that they wont be getting a huge amount of sympathy. Is it classed as a dangerous job with the fuel being flammable?

hellfire;2303582

With figures like that they wont be getting a huge amount of sympathy. Is … With figures like that they wont be getting a huge amount of sympathy. Is it classed as a dangerous job with the fuel being flammable?

just found figures of the latest offer and i am afraid the little support i had has now gone :x "the employers said their latest offer was as much as they could afford and would take drivers' average earnings to about £41,500, up from the current average salary of £36,500.
"

again taken from the bbc web page ]http//ne…stm

I'm going to go and get my HGV licence!

Original Poster Banned

They are just piling more missery on the driver.

Its the company that deliver for Shell, which accounts for about 1 in 10 petrol stations in the UK, so unless you buy your fuel from Shell you've still got 9 other petrol stations to purchase from.

OMGZ its crazy.

hellfire;2303602

I'm going to go and get my HGV licence!

I've got one... I wouldn't both if I was you..

Alfonse;2304097

Its the company that deliver for Shell, which accounts for about 1 in 10 … Its the company that deliver for Shell, which accounts for about 1 in 10 petrol stations in the UK, so unless you buy your fuel from Shell you've still got 9 other petrol stations to purchase from.OMGZ its crazy.

Saying that it's going to spread because other drivers wont cross the picket lines. Media just ramp it up.

I get my fuel from a shell garage and filled up on my way home at 2pm. It was very busy but all the pumps were still open.

Original Poster Banned

I live in margate and cannot beleive that there is panic buying in the tesco petrol station.

[SIZE="5"]lazy, money grabbing gits![/SIZE]

Panic buying everywhere. I filled up yesterday thank gawd.

As for the tankers - seems they're doing this ALL for themselves and are pretty damn selfish. Look at nurses earning what, half, 3/4 ? of what these god damned drivers are making and doing 100x the work.

Banned

Don't have sympathy for these guys! They're only doing it for themselves! They're just doing it now because the public are disgusted at the fuel prices and they think we're daft enough to support them when it's all about them. If they get their rise, it'll be passed onto you and I in yet another rise in petrol prices!

They're already on wages that most of us can only dream about ....................and now they want to spread misery for the rest of us who are struggling to buy petrol and feed the family. Pity for them.

I'm gonna get my Hazmat back, I can't stand driving HGV's but that's an extra 10 grand on my basic salary.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Missing the old HUKD for sale area.99
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769274
    3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247584
    4. £6 Promo Credit with £30 Gift Card Purchase @ Amazon22

See more discussions