Tape transfer equipment?

Posted 5th Jun
I have dig out my childhood camcorder tapes and wandering what’s the best and easiest equipment to buy to transfer them into a digital file?
Is there a way to put edit them also?
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Amazon Link

I’ve been meaning to do the same for ages but never got around to buying this but the above seems to be the best option, assuming you have a laptop/PC.
Edited by: "Pezza90" 5th Jun
There are really only two ways, send them off to be done by someone else professionally or use one of the many VCR to PC/MAC kits available. I got one off ebay for £35 and you just play the tape in the vcr and then it records on you computer. You end up with a 3hr long video file that you can edit in any number of free video suites into your own cuts and add titles and fades etc.
"Camcorder" implies non-VCR so the issue may be sourcing a suitable player, likely some ancient kit with questionable performance considering age and potential analogue storage and only available via dubious character on the likes of Farcebook MarkupPlace. Converting the output of the player is reasonably straightforward.
Pezza9005/06/2020 10:22

Amazon Link I’ve been meaning to do the same for ages but never got around …Amazon Link I’ve been meaning to do the same for ages but never got around to buying this but the above seems to be the best option, assuming you have a laptop/PC.

The link doesn’t work can you link it again? Definitely have both a laptop and a PC
ArcadeAssassin05/06/2020 10:24

There are really only two ways, send them off to be done by someone else …There are really only two ways, send them off to be done by someone else professionally or use one of the many VCR to PC/MAC kits available. I got one off ebay for £35 and you just play the tape in the vcr and then it records on you computer. You end up with a 3hr long video file that you can edit in any number of free video suites into your own cuts and add titles and fades etc.

Thank you, I’ve looked into having it done professionally but at £10 a tape I would rather try do it myself than fork out over £200
buzzbox05/06/2020 17:48

The link doesn’t work can you link it again? Definitely have both a laptop …The link doesn’t work can you link it again? Definitely have both a laptop and a PC

Sorry! Newbie - Still getting used to this app! Here you go - amazon.co.uk/Vid…3TA
buzzbox05/06/2020 17:48

The link doesn’t work can you link it again? Definitely have both a laptop …The link doesn’t work can you link it again? Definitely have both a laptop and a PC

Do you have a functional player for the specific tapes? If so, what is / are the physical signal / data ouptut(s) of that player.
AndyRoyd05/06/2020 17:57

Do you have a functional player for the specific tapes? If so, what is / …Do you have a functional player for the specific tapes? If so, what is / are the physical signal / data ouptut(s) of that player.

My parents have a Combie player think it’s Panasonic. I can’t say for definite as they are shielding
buzzbox05/06/2020 18:45

My parents have a Combie player think it’s Panasonic. I can’t say for def …My parents have a Combie player think it’s Panasonic. I can’t say for definite as they are shielding

OK, you imply your tapes will directly play in the Panachronic VHS/DVD combo so that removes one hurdle.
It is highly likely any Panachronic VHS/DVD combo will have composite / S-Video + SCART output, in which case a reasonable EZcap-type of USB device should facilitate recording the output from composite / S-Video to PC via USB. (If the Panachronic only has SCART output, you may additionally need a SCART to composite converter / cable to use with EZC; in which case consider connection gender requirements).

Be wary of some of the cheaper EZC clones as the drivers/software can be problematical or only offer low-resolution output.

Random example EZC device stating W10 compatibility and capability of 480p/576p res recordings is under £14 fulfilled Amazon, but obviously the quality of conversion is unknown.
amazon.co.uk/dp/…LC/
If you're feeling lucky, one user of similar £8 FBA device stated successful 576p output from amazon.co.uk/dp/…YG/ but no indication of what OS was used.
If you have the equipment to play back the tapes then a cheap used dvd recorder could be an answer. They can sell for less than £10 delivered on eBay if you don’t mind auction listings. Once transferred onto dvd you can edit & archive on a pc or mac fairly easily.
AndyRoyd06/06/2020 23:05

OK, you imply your tapes will directly play in the Panachronic VHS/DVD …OK, you imply your tapes will directly play in the Panachronic VHS/DVD combo so that removes one hurdle.It is highly likely any Panachronic VHS/DVD combo will have composite / S-Video + SCART output, in which case a reasonable EZcap-type of USB device should facilitate recording the output from composite / S-Video to PC via USB. (If the Panachronic only has SCART output, you may additionally need a SCART to composite converter / cable to use with EZC; in which case consider connection gender requirements).Be wary of some of the cheaper EZC clones as the drivers/software can be problematical or only offer low-resolution output.Random example EZC device stating W10 compatibility and capability of 480p/576p res recordings is under £14 fulfilled Amazon, but obviously the quality of conversion is unknown.https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CLL4DLC/If you're feeling lucky, one user of similar £8 FBA device stated successful 576p output from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DHJJNYG/ but no indication of what OS was used.

Wow thank you for your time and insight
Post a comment
@
    Text