'Taste Test' - Ultimate Shopping List (Michel Roux prog on C4)

Found 1st Aug 2017Edited by:"davewave"
Have jotted down some of the recommendations so far from this food product review programme, triedandtasted.tv/, will update as the series continues:

Hope this helps some people (although personal taste will always rule).

• Bacon - Denhay smoked dry cured bacon
  • Lager - Brewdog Kingpin
  • Chips - Aunt Bessies
  • Garlic Baguette - Tesco Extra Value! (more expensive Sainsbury's joint winner)
  • Ribs - CO OP slow cooked ribs (ASDA came 2nd)
  • Cheese - Cathedral City Mature Cheddar
  • Cider - Cornish Orchard
  • Pie M&S Steak and Ale pie
  • Houmous ASDA and Tesco joint
  • Rice Pudding - Aldi tin
  • Croissant - M&S Fresh instore bakery
  • Tea - Newby English Breakfast, ( although maybe better to plump for Sainsburys Red Label which came close second)
  • Choc Sponge Pudding - Cadburys Hot Chocolate or M&S sponge pudding
  • Sauvignon Blanc Villa Maria Private Bin 2016
  • Chicken Tikka Masala ready made Curry - Tesco 'India Kitchen' CTM
  • Baked Beans - Branston then Tesco
  • Lamb Shank - 'Cook' brand then Tesco
  • APPLE PIE Aunt Bessie's frozen variety 27p/100g /M&S Bramley chilled 63p/100g
  • LASAGNE 'Cook' brand lasagne
  • GIN - Gordon's or Bombay Sapphire
  • Smoked Salmon - Tesco Smoked Salmon £2.25/100g
  • Margherita Pizza - M&S Margherita wood fired pizza
  • Vanilla ice cream - Carte D'or Vanilla ice cream
  • Whisky - Aberlour
  • Filled Pasta - (The Fresh Pasta company came first but very pricey!) close 2nd Essential Waitrose Spin and Ricotta pasta
  • Ground Coffee - Lavazza Qualita Rossa red (2nd place Bellarom Gold)
  • Sausages - Morrisons The Best Pork Chipolatas
  • Prosecco - Aldi Belletti Prosecco Spumante DOC Aldi £5.79
Community Updates
Misc
54 Comments
All are a matter of personal opinion
Error4406 m ago

All are a matter of personal opinion

Could not agree more!
Good post OP, some things to try on there.
Meh, Branston beans has taken away any credibility from the list.
deeky13 m ago

Meh, Branston beans has taken away any credibility from the list.

Arrrh beans the HUKD favourite...
I thought Branston then Tesco was pretty much right though.

Seriously strong cheese is better than Cathedral city.
Andy@XCite1 m ago

Arrrh beans the HUKD favourite...I thought Branston then Tesco was pretty …Arrrh beans the HUKD favourite...I thought Branston then Tesco was pretty much right though.Seriously strong cheese is better than Cathedral city.

Nope, Asda Smart Price FTW
deeky1 m ago

Yeah well I don't shop at Asda.
deeky6 m ago

Asda is the only beans I've tried that are edible due to them not being all sweet, it tastes like tomatoes and some spices and herbs. Still rather do my own with pasata, olive oil and mixed herbs tho
Andy@XCite7 m ago

Yeah well I don't shop at Asda.

OooOOOhhhHHH!!!
31596877-vGhZ3.jpg
Andy@XCite10 m ago

Arrrh beans the HUKD favourite...I thought Branston then Tesco was pretty …Arrrh beans the HUKD favourite...I thought Branston then Tesco was pretty much right though.Seriously strong cheese is better than Cathedral city.

Most things are better then that cheese its bland,. I think anchor vintage was best but fat chance finding that now days the shelves are getting blander
Andy@XCite54 m ago

Most cheese is better than Cathedral City, such a weird texture. You've got to acquire a taste for it.

Was it you that recomnmended Casetllo Blue, or were you a St Agur man?
I can tell you all right now, as a fully fledged Northerner, that a pie from M&S is not the best pie that you can buy.
RossD8922 m ago

I can tell you all right now, as a fully fledged Northerner, that a pie …I can tell you all right now, as a fully fledged Northerner, that a pie from M&S is not the best pie that you can buy.

You may have a point, there's not a Northerner in that CH4 Taste Test Team/panel.
lol @ some of these
splender53 m ago

You may have a point, there's not a Northerner in that CH4 Taste Test …You may have a point, there's not a Northerner in that CH4 Taste Test Team/panel.

No Northerner on a panel chosen for their ability to have / assess taste? Who would have thought it!!

There was a token amateur chef from Sunderland who failed to reach the Masterchef Final - got to love those TV quotas.
Thanks for doing this I will look out for some, but as you say its personal taste like beans for me it has to hienze
Asda houmous is good, cheaper price for a larger tub of standard and they do a reduced fat version. Asda 30% & 50% reduced fat sliced cheeses are excellent too at 2 packs for £3. Whole corn fed free range chicken is fab at £3.75 per kg.
I tried Sainsbury's red label tea once and it was that awful I threw the packet out. Yorkshire tea for me every time.
psychobitchfromhell5 h, 26 m ago

I tried Sainsbury's red label tea once and it was that awful I threw the …I tried Sainsbury's red label tea once and it was that awful I threw the packet out. Yorkshire tea for me every time.

It's not quite as bad as Typhoo but I'd still rather have any of Twinings Yorkshire, PG tips or Tetley.

And on the cheese front, Cathedral City isn't in the same league as Colliers or Davidstow.
spoo12 m ago

It's not quite as bad as Typhoo but I'd still rather have any of Twinings …It's not quite as bad as Typhoo but I'd still rather have any of Twinings Yorkshire, PG tips or Tetley.And on the cheese front, Cathedral City isn't in the same league as Colliers or Davidstow.

Oh I hate tetley. Cheese wise, any cheese is good. There is no such thing as bad cheese. Everything tastes better with cheese
MSK.11 h, 13 m ago

Most cheese is better than Cathedral City, such a weird texture. You've …Most cheese is better than Cathedral City, such a weird texture. You've got to acquire a taste for it.Was it you that recomnmended Casetllo Blue, or were you a St Agur man?

Its rubbery isnt it, reminds me of those processed slices for burgers
MSK.11 h, 26 m ago

Most cheese is better than Cathedral City, such a weird texture. You've …Most cheese is better than Cathedral City, such a weird texture. You've got to acquire a taste for it.Was it you that recomnmended Casetllo Blue, or were you a St Agur man?

Yeah I recommended St Agur.
Who buys ready made lasagne?
brilly12 h, 14 m ago

lol @ some of these

Were you hoping for neeps and haggis ready meals?
airfix4 m ago

Who buys ready made lasagne?

People who don't know how to make it? Or cba making it?
deeky8 m ago

People who don't know how to make it? Or cba making it?

You mean stupid lazy people?

Those ready made lasagnes are rank !
airfix40 m ago

You mean stupid lazy people? Those ready made lasagnes are rank !

Harsh
deeky49 m ago

Harsh

There's more to meals than fish fingers and beans you know
airfix1 h, 8 m ago

Nothing wrong with fish fingers and beans tho
Error44039 m ago

Error4402 h, 53 m ago

one of the things I love when my nephew comes to stay is he loves fish finger, beans and mash mmmmmmmmmm
miles13614 m ago

one of the things I love when my nephew comes to stay is he loves fish …one of the things I love when my nephew comes to stay is he loves fish finger, beans and mash mmmmmmmmmm

I assume you prepare these from scratch, like the rest of us.
davewave35 m ago

Don't be modest Dave we all know you dive into the Atlantic and wrestler a cod yourself, grow your own wheat for the breading that you mill by hand, grow your own beens and tomatoes, grow your own potatoes that you mash with your fists.
davewave59 m ago

I do birdseye fish fingers hinez beans and propper fresh mash
miles1368 m ago

outrageous
miles13611 m ago

I do fresh mash too, i always squeeze the smash tubs make sure they are firm, if they are soft that means they are no longer fresh
Error44051 m ago

I do fresh mash too, i always squeeze the smash tubs make sure they are …I do fresh mash too, i always squeeze the smash tubs make sure they are firm, if they are soft that means they are no longer fresh

I peal and mash with milk butter and cream
airfix8 h, 9 m ago

Were you hoping for neeps and haggis ready meals?

no tatties? no thanks

airfix6 h, 30 m ago

yeah... fish fingers and mushy peas
miles13617 m ago

I peal and mash with milk butter and cream

a little bit of salt and pepper
Brexit pies from Heron are worth a try although they lack a bit of substance tbf.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants