Tax car if not showing on database as insured

23 replies
Found 30th Sep 2016
Hi, I was hoping to purchase/collect a seconed hand car this sunday. Just got it insured online with hastings but noticed it said could take 7 days to show up on dvla database, i was hoping to tax the car online tomorrow using the green ‘new keeper’s details’ slip (V5C/2) from the log book, but if it is not showing as insured will it still allow me to purchase the tax?. I dont want to take chance driving home as it ill get picked up on an ANPR camera.

Also if takes upto 7 days to show up as insured on the database then surely every time i pass a police car with ANPR i am going to get stopped?. Anyone else had this problem?.

23 Comments

go to askmid and put your registration in. if it says you're insured you will probably be OK. I used askmid last week and my insurance appeared within 5 minutes of paying.

Try looking on here to see if it's insured.

http://www.askmid.com/

Oh, too slow X)
Edited by: "deeky" 30th Sep 2016

Original Poster

Hi, thanks for the quick replies, i put the policy to start from 1-10-16, so i guess it will not show on (askmid) before midnight tonight anyway, just worried if it does take a few days.

Go to the post office with the green slip and your insurance certificate , you might need to print this off if your insurance is on line.

Nothing you can do anyway, just check in the morning.

Original Poster

hutchir9

Go to the post office with the green slip and your insurance certificate … Go to the post office with the green slip and your insurance certificate , you might need to print this off if your insurance is on line.

I live rural so my local post office does not sell road tax. Just does not seem right that it could take upto 7 days, especialy as road tax is no longer transferable to a new keeper, i am hoping it is put on there digitaly and i am not waiting for a person to add it to the database with it now being the weekend.
Edited by: "POWYSWALES" 30th Sep 2016

I purchased a car 2 weeks ago and phoned insurance from garage to insure car before driving the 4 hours home. I taxed the car online when I got in. Out of curiosity I checked askmid to make sure it was showing as insured and it wasn't. I had to call the insurance company back who confirmed I was insured but apologised for it not showing on askmid. They sorted it out quick enough but I was obviously able to tax the car without it showing as insured on the mid database.
Just make sure you're insured and get the tax sorted the same day and you will be ok.
Its no longer an offence to not display your tax disc and you wont be stopped by police anpr for no tax.
Edited by: "DAMNOME" 30th Sep 2016

Original Poster

deeky

Nothing you can do anyway, just check in the morning.

Will do its just a pain as the car is located 80 miles away and i was getting a free lift there on sunday by friends that were going past that way.

Original Poster

DAMNOME

I purchased a car 2 weeks ago and phoned insurance from garage to insure … I purchased a car 2 weeks ago and phoned insurance from garage to insure car before driving the 4 hours home. I taxed the car when I got in. Out of curiosity I checked askmid to make sure it was showing as insured and it wasn't. I had to call the insurance company back who confirmed I was insured but apologised for it not showing on askmid. They sorted it out quick enough but I was obviously able to tax the car without it showing as insured on the mid database. Just make sure your insured and get the tax sorted the same day and you will be ok. Its no longer an offence to not display your tax disc and you wont be stopped by police anpr for no tax.

But if it was not showing as insured then how did dvla allow you to tax it? Also not convinced that you can not be stopped for no road tax if picked up by anpr?

POWYSWALES

But if it was not showing as insured then how did dvla allow you to tax … But if it was not showing as insured then how did dvla allow you to tax it? Also not convinced that you can not be stopped for no road tax if picked up by anpr?

They changed the system so you don't need insurance to tax the car any more:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/tax-insurance-and-warranties/2013-12/drivers-no-longer-need-to-show-insurance-certificate-to-get-road-tax/

I don't know how quickly the VED goes through on the system but if you've got the e-mail confirmation I'd expect that would suffice if you were pulled for it.

John

Original Poster

Johnmcl7

They changed the system so you don't need insurance to tax the car any … They changed the system so you don't need insurance to tax the car any more:http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/tax-insurance-and-warranties/2013-12/drivers-no-longer-need-to-show-insurance-certificate-to-get-road-tax/I don't know how quickly the VED goes through on the system but if you've got the e-mail confirmation I'd expect that would suffice if you were pulled for it.John

But it says on that link ( Drivers no longer required to show insurance certificate to get road tax Instead, the DVLA will use a central database to check a vehicle's insurance status )......

hence why i need it to show on the database as insured.

POWYSWALES

But it says on that link ( Drivers no longer required to show insurance … But it says on that link ( Drivers no longer required to show insurance certificate to get road tax Instead, the DVLA will use a central database to check a vehicle's insurance status )......hence why i need it to show on the database as insured.

No, they have changed it from the previous system that did require insurance - what's confusing is that they will still be checking for insurance but continuously hence there isn't any point in checking when you tax the car as well:

https://www.bitterwallet.com/travel/now-you-dont-need-insurance-to-tax-your-car-60012

This is the official page on VED and there's no requirement for insurance apart from NI:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax

Under the previous system, you could get insurance, get your VED paid for and then cancel the insurance so the car would be uninsured for most of the year. Hence the need for a continuous system all year round which makes the check when you get VED redundant as the car is getting checked for insurance anyway.

John

John's right. You don't need insurance to tax a vehicle online so you will be fine. If anything the fact that your car is not mid might attract police attention but that shouldn't be a big problem.

I drove from London back to South Wales, passed plenty of cameras and saw a couple of police cars, I didn't know until I got home and had already taxed the car online that night, that the car wasn't showing on the MiD.
The car was insured, just hadn't been updated on mid.

Original Poster

zainarafiq

John's right. You don't need insurance to tax a vehicle online so you … John's right. You don't need insurance to tax a vehicle online so you will be fine. If anything the fact that your car is not mid might attract police attention but that shouldn't be a big problem.

zainarafiq

John's right. You don't need insurance to tax a vehicle online so you … John's right. You don't need insurance to tax a vehicle online so you will be fine. If anything the fact that your car is not mid might attract police attention but that shouldn't be a big problem.

Thats great then, so hopefully i can still tax the car and just print of my emailed insurance document in case i get stopped.

It sounds like you should be fine (assuming the car has a valid MOT) although you're right to be cautious, at worst if you do get pulled for the insurance they can call your insurance company and verify the car is insured.

John

Quick question, If I buy a car I can phone insurance Co and sort it there and then but how do I transfer my tax from old car over to drive new car home?

You probably seen the police interceptive on tv, they do double check with dvla or database centre in case your car alert them on their anpr system before they stop you.

Agent004

Quick question, If I buy a car I can phone insurance Co and sort it … Quick question, If I buy a car I can phone insurance Co and sort it there and then but how do I transfer my tax from old car over to drive new car home?

​you can not transfer road tax from old car to new car, you have to buy it for new car and aorn off old car.

Insurance may take a few days to show on the database so keep policy number on you incase you get stopped
Believe it or not , on the new system you can tax the car without insurance , just done it this morning
If you tax it , again take note of the reference number as takes a few days to show its taxed

Please, everybody stop being ruled by computers.
If you buy insurance - even on line - there is a receipt/transaction process. who gives a FF whether it is on some computer system or not?
Of course you can insure a car without taxing it - but of course it would be illegal to drive it on public roads.
and of course you can tax a car without insuring it - but the same you cannot drive it on public roads.
taxing and insuring simultaneously is impossible - so stop trying.
I repeat, stop letting computers rule your lives.

Agent004

Quick question, If I buy a car I can phone insurance Co and sort it … Quick question, If I buy a car I can phone insurance Co and sort it there and then but how do I transfer my tax from old car over to drive new car home?

you cant - tax is non transferrable

tardytortoise

you cant - tax is non transferrable

​So I assume there is a way to get the tax refunded then and then go to local post office and get for new car? sorry to hijack your thread a bit OP
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition57584
    2. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!44
    3. Free money and competition entry @ Circle813
    4. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums22

See more discussions