tax codes how to amend

Found 26th Jan 2010
Hi all,
I changed job this year and never gave new employer my p45,this may explain why they have been taxing me at BR ? I'm about to change jobs again,how do i go about claiming the difference between what i paid under BR and what i should have paid under the correct tax code?And how can i prevent the same thing happening again? Hoping to hear from a hmrc worker,or anyone with more of a clue than me,Thanks.

1. Misc
  2. HMRC
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. HMRC
9 Comments

Contact your tax office. They will talk you through it over the phone. Usually fairly easy.

Banned

pmsl i thought you was talking to yourself there - lol

Original Poster

Sassie, I get that a lot lol, Kidcat,apologies,it looks like i've nicked your avatar.thanks for advice.

sassie;7662110

You know I never noticed, how asleep I must be today. :oops:

sassie;7662110

+ 1

they shouldnt have taxed you at basic rate (BR) but should have been on an emergency code on a non cumulative basis.

you can stop it from happening by giving your new employer your P45!!!!! why didnt you?

and your gonna have to contact your tax office and get them to send out a tax code to your new employer if you give your new employer your current P45 you will be taxed at BR again.
You may have to wait till april to get your overpaid tax back though....

Its all worked out on a cumulative basis so by not giving your P45 they cant see how much tax you have paid and tax you at an emergency code level.

hope that helps

sassie;7662110

Me too lol

me three.

I think we should all change our avatars to this cat ....I'm going to start a campaign :thumbsup:

By the way ...as you did not submit a P45 or P46 when you joined your job, they are correct to tax you on BR cumulative tax code and this is the emergency tax code. I would ring the Revenue on 0845 3000 627 and tell them your situation.

hmrc.gov.uk/inc…htm
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Building PC/desktop help or alienware aurora i757
    2. Double/duplicate notifications on iOS app22
    3. S7 (regular) full coverage tempered glass protector22
    4. What car to purchase?11

See more discussions