Groups

Tax credits - help!

Just checked my online banking, and my tax credits payment today is now a pound LESS than I was getting in the old tax year...my circumstances havent changed. I havent received a new notification either. Surely as nothing changed I should be getting MORE as its the new tax year and allowances go up (not down). Been trying to call HMRC but they keep saying their lines busy etc.

thanks for any help

14 Comments

Sounds crazy!

Perhaps it is an adjustment figure and it will be higher next time?

ClarityofMind;4922575

Sounds crazy!Perhaps it is an adjustment figure and it will be higher … Sounds crazy!Perhaps it is an adjustment figure and it will be higher next time?

+1

Original Poster

Thanks everyone!
    My income is technically £0 for the last 3 years as I am a single mum and a student, and I havent worked since I was startred uni in 2006. So the amount shouldnt have changed which is why its making me think why have the payments gone down!
    I will try again to call tomorro, I havent received a new notification either....

we havent got a new notification yet either.

have just received my own tax papers though so everything is running a little later this year, possibly due to where Easter is.

When they work out how much to pay you, it doesn't usually split perfectly into 12 monthly payments, you usually end up with the last payment being slightly different, sometimes more, sometimes less. I've had my renewal through the post today so look out for yours.

Chips xx

Original Poster

ChipSticks;4922703

When they work out how much to pay you, it doesn't usually split … When they work out how much to pay you, it doesn't usually split perfectly into 12 monthly payments, you usually end up with the last payment being slightly different, sometimes more, sometimes less. I've had my renewal through the post today so look out for yours.Chips xx

Thanks....I will have to see when I get the notification and try calling in the mean time, its only a pound less but it all adds up

Ours has gone up by £3 this week but no sign of a letter yet, which is weird.

mine was less by £2 last week but this week added £3, no letter yet, just end of year adjustments

Trickyjabs;4922898

Ours has gone up by £3 this week but no sign of a letter yet, which is … Ours has gone up by £3 this week but no sign of a letter yet, which is weird.

I think its because we have just had the Easter weekend so everything is a bit slower. Bank holidays and all that jazz.

Original Poster

Well I should be getting £2 more with the child element going up by £200 for the new tax year...maybe its easter.

When should the new payments have started? Last week or this week???

ClarityofMind;4922575

Sounds crazy!Perhaps it is an adjustment figure and it will be higher … Sounds crazy!Perhaps it is an adjustment figure and it will be higher next time?

i was going to suggest this.

the tv licence works the same way. you pay an odd amount for the first month, then all the other amounts for the year are the same as the second month

tinkerbell28;4923007

You won't until the renewal. At the moment you are now being paid on what … You won't until the renewal. At the moment you are now being paid on what you declared as your earnings for the last award, that's how it's based, there are other factors.That's why it tells you to keep them informed of any pay rises, as it would not of affected your award last year as it's based on the previous year, however from now the new tax year you would now be being overpaid until they update your award. If you had a payrise last year, from the previous.I know this probably does not make sense, but it's how it works.It's always up in the air now, but it will have been on your award last year, from April 2009 we will pay these amounts until we have confirmed your earnings for the tax year 08-09 in the renewal pack. You are being paid an estimate until you confirm last years earnings on the renewal basically. It would of been on your last award.

Cheers Tinks, good info.

Original Poster

Update

I called today and they said I am STILL getting last years amount and that wont change until the renewal. Its prob because I am student and my income is £0 and I dont get any benefits, so their system is confused as to why I have no income (They said that when I do the renewal they need to put my income as £1 which they did last time too, as their system wont understand why I have no income from anywhere). Seems silly that I am now getting LESS than last year even though I should be geting £3 more though!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Now TV CODES - Free Sky Entertainment/Kids/Cinema/Sports1024
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …265901
      3. HOMEBASE CLEARANCE SALE66
      4. Weekly game codes giveaway 1831734

See more discussions