Groups

Tax over the phone.

I renewed my tax over the phone.

Am i still ok to drive my car with an out f sdate tax disc while i await my other 1?

22 Comments

You should be ok as it till be on the system to say you have renewed it and that what the police tend to check against rather than reading the tax disc.

yeah i think so as if you get stopped they can tell from the data base that you have renewed it !!

I believe the offence is driving without displaying a valid tax disc, so no would be the answer

Does not matter if you have already purchased the tax, you must have it on display.

Yes, the law states that you have to show a valid tax disc at all times. But for on-line and telephone sales there is a 5 day discretionary period whilst you order is processed.

Renewed mine online last week , but prior to doing this had a postcard from DVLA saying that if I bought online/over the phone you can use the vehicle for up to 5 days after the tax expires to allow delivery of the new tax disc!. So you are ok till the 5th April. It will show up on the database as tax paid anyway. Hope this helps!!!

You get a tax disc in your hand at the Post Office.;-)

Original Poster

Inactive;4806302

You get a tax disc in your hand at the Post Office.;-)

Mam done it over the phone.

So im ok to drive it?

Thanks

Slapchops;4806285

I believe the offence is driving without displaying a valid tax disc, so … I believe the offence is driving without displaying a valid tax disc, so no would be the answerDoes not matter if you have already purchased the tax, you must have it on display.

Ignore that....

pugw$sh;4806288

Yes, the law states that you have to show a valid tax disc at all times. … Yes, the law states that you have to show a valid tax disc at all times. But for on-line and telephone sales there is a 5 day discretionary period whilst you order is processed.

....because of that! ;-)

Just to give you extra reassurance...."If you prefer to tax in the last few days of the month, there is now an exemption from the offence of not displaying a tax disc. This exemption covers the first five working days of the month and allows time for the new disc to arrive in the post"

Taken From..... direct.gov.uk/en/…732

:thumbsup:

you have five days

Last year I phoned the DVLA to check that I will be okay driving with no tax disc whilst awaiting delivery of the one I ordered online and they said 'No, definitely not'

So, either this is new or I got a STUPID advisor

You cannot drive without displaying a valid tax disc.

If you are spotted and pulled up on it the likelyhood is they would more than likely show leniency. But it is an offence.

Original Poster

I just phoned and asked.

You can drive upto 5 day, displaying old tax disc.

Its all electronic

DJNG22;4807204

You cannot drive without displaying a valid tax disc. If you are spotted … You cannot drive without displaying a valid tax disc. If you are spotted and pulled up on it the likelyhood is they would more than likely show leniency. But it is an offence.

Not true.

There is now an exemption from the offence of not displaying a tax disc. … There is now an exemption from the offence of not displaying a tax disc. This exemption covers the first five working days of the month and allows time for the new disc to arrive in the post.

Taken from. direct.gov.uk/en/…732

vengod;4807237

I just phoned and asked. You can drive upto 5 day, displaying old tax … I just phoned and asked. You can drive upto 5 day, displaying old tax disc. Its all electronic

As long as the old disc ran out on the end of the previous month. You're good till the 5th:)

My tax disc ran out at the end of February, so I renewed it on-line about the 18th. It wasn't until about the 6th March I realised it hadn't actually arrived. I phoned the DVLA to explain this and ask for a new ax disc. When I asked the advisor if I would still be ok to drive my car without a valid tax disc (until the new one arrived) he said that would be fine, as far as the DVLA are concerned their records show I've paid for it in plenty time etc. However, he did say that the police may issue a fine if they were to notice it, as they are not bound to check the DVLA's records (although they do in most cases).

Hope this makes sense (and helps)!

civms47;4808303

My tax disc ran out at the end of February, so I renewed it on-line about … My tax disc ran out at the end of February, so I renewed it on-line about the 18th. It wasn't until about the 6th March I realised it hadn't actually arrived. I phoned the DVLA to explain this and ask for a new ax disc. When I asked the advisor if I would still be ok to drive my car without a valid tax disc (until the new one arrived) he said that would be fine, as far as the DVLA are concerned their records show I've paid for it in plenty time etc. However, he did say that the police may issue a fine if they were to notice it, as they are not bound to check the DVLA's records (although they do in most cases).Hope this makes sense (and helps)!

Didn't think the police gave out fines for tax discs. All they used to do is pass your details onto the DVLA who then sent you a bill.

DJNG22;4807204

You cannot drive without displaying a valid tax disc. If you are spotted … You cannot drive without displaying a valid tax disc. If you are spotted and pulled up on it the likelyhood is they would more than likely show leniency. But it is an offence.

Wrong. See 5 day rule.

Trickyjabs;4809070

Wrong. See 5 day rule.

I was unaware the law had changed, apologies, not worked in the motor trade for 4 years and was sure that was the case.

However,not entirely wrong if you read it....

It does state that the application had to be made before the current disc expired the OP has not stated when he/she applied.

So as long as the OP applied for the new tax disc on Tuesday or before (and not today or yesterday) they will be fine. If not, it technically is still an offfence.

It would have been far cheaper, simpler and quicker to have just taxed it at the Post Office.;-)

The police arent the prosecuting authority for Vehicle excise license (shengis, you are correct again) We would complete a form cle2/6 and send it on to the DVLA who would decide on prosecution. In our area, we can phone DVLA and they can confirm id payment has been made or not.
    I havent and dont know of any officer that has done anyone for the failing to display, words of advice are usually best practice. However, outdated VEL's can often indicate other offences such as disqualified drivers, no insurance etc. So if you do get stopped have your docs with you and explain to the officer the situation. Shouldnt be a problem. If it is outside office hours they may fill in a form cle2\6 and caution/report you, but as I say if you have paid shouldnt be a problem
    Hope this helps

Shengis;4808479

Didn't think the police gave out fines for tax discs. All they used to do … Didn't think the police gave out fines for tax discs. All they used to do is pass your details onto the DVLA who then sent you a bill.

I didn't know if they did or not, that's just what the guy on the phone told me. Good to know tho! :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains109
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1010
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2121

See more discussions