Tax questions/advice.

Posted 30th Apr
Hi all.

Appreciate any help or guidance a professional or person in a similar position may be able to throw on this..
From April 2019 through till end December 2019 I was classed as self-employed and consulting for my now employer (starting January this year). The tax year has just ended and I'm doing my return...according to the various guides I can claim for business expenses such as mileage and flights/hotels....but the company I was/am now working for always reimbursed me for those costs - including dinners/business lunches etc.

Does anyone know firstly, IF i need to still declare all of those costs on my return, and then can they be claimed again? Seems weird to put them in if I have been reimbursed.

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
My advice is to get professional advice
you need to declare everything on self assessment so you should declare the expenses and the re-imbursement from the employer for these expenses as income. no different to a trader buying materials and then the client re-imburse him for the materials and paying for his time.
Agree with @mutley1

So you would declare the mileage etc. as an expense to offset the repayment of that income. BUT it means if, for example, you were only given 30p per mile you can reclaim the full 45ppm.
markmc99930/04/2020 15:24

Agree with @mutley1 So you would declare the mileage etc. as an expense to …Agree with @mutley1 So you would declare the mileage etc. as an expense to offset the repayment of that income. BUT it means if, for example, you were only given 30p per mile you can reclaim the full 45ppm.

i think dinners and lunches will not be allowed as expense by HMRC so the re-imbursement will be treated as income only as well.
You are allowed to declare so much per day if, its wholly for the role you are doing (i.e. working away from home).

Here is a good article: crunch.co.uk/kno…im/

BUT, seriously, you may find it beneficial to go to an accountant as they can probably save you more in tax than it costs them.
Get advice. If you earned more than 8k then you had to notify HMRC. There are loads of tricks to be used and pitfalls to avoid. A really good accountant will charge around 150 for an hours advice (which you can offset against tax when self employed) and put you in a good position to decide what you do

And there is one thing you can do to reduce that bill. Keep very very clear but simple records.
Thanks all. Admitedly I do have an accountant but think I have been stiffed on his charges and also his ability to advise clever/shrewd ways of saving money...and seem to be doing all the reporting myself.
I've just emailed him RE: the dinner expenses suggesting i take them off - something he should have advised.
Appreciate the advise.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions