Tax refund from HMRC if you pay subscriptions to a professional body eg a union

Found 15th Jan 2014
First post so please be gentle :-) having seen the recent posts about tax rebates I wondered if people knew this. It's a very simple process. You just write to the tax office telling them the name of the professional body and how much you pay. I pay about £200 a year in union fees. I wrote to them, received a rebate of around £40 a year (I believe this can be backdated up to 3 years) and they adjusted my tax code so it automatically gives me an allowance for this every year now. I know it's not a lot but better in your pocket than the taxman's!
Community Updates
Misc
21 Comments
great thanks. Will look into this
interesting. iv been paying union for ages

so doesnt it matter what kind of union?

(you are talking about a union that represents you if made redundent etc arnt you)
Or don't join union and be £200 better off lol
Unions are a complete waste of time in my experience, they never represent you unless your actually being dismissed or made redundant. Even then they cant do anything. They rarely get back to you with legal advice.

Pretty much waste of time, there are many other options you can have.

ACAS for example a free service. Plus a few other extremely cheaper alternatives, albeit they wont ever represent you in a hearing/meeting but they can attack your employer in a tribunal ..etc. If you need representation in a hearing/meeting just take a work colleague.
struggling with this im pretty poor when it comes to this kinda thing

any kind of an email of anything
Do you know if this is self employed only or does it work if you get paid by a company and your Union fees are deducted from your pay - sorry this stuff is all a minefield to me kaaboom - thank you
Look on hmrc website for info, it's not rocket science
Humphman

Do you know if this is self employed only or does it work if you get paid … Do you know if this is self employed only or does it work if you get paid by a company and your Union fees are deducted from your pay - sorry this stuff is all a minefield to me kaaboom - thank you

im in same position as you. it comes out of my wage each month
[quote=sumo999]Look on hmrc website for info, it's not rocket science[/quote

and iv been on the site numnuts no address for this kinda thing]
Havince

[quote=sumo999]Look on hmrc website for info, it's not rocket … [quote=sumo999]Look on hmrc website for info, it's not rocket science[/quoteand iv been on the site numnuts no address for this kinda thing]

Tax relief for professional fees and subscriptions
sumo999

Look on hmrc website for info, it's not rocket science

Thank you for the 'friendly' advice, its always nice to know there are helpful people out there........................sheesh oO

Or in other words butt out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Deeky/ZedEx - thanks for your help X)
J4GG4

Unions are a complete waste of time in my experience, they never … Unions are a complete waste of time in my experience, they never represent you unless your actually being dismissed or made redundant. Even then they cant do anything. They rarely get back to you with legal advice.

What about pay negotiations? I work on the railways and am in ASLEF. If we didn't have a Union do you think management would just say to me - here, we think you deserve a pay rise? Or are you suggesting that it's ok for you, me or him to just opt out of the union but still take the pay rises that those who are in the union have paid union subs to have negotiated on their behalf?
Thankyou Deeks and zed

im with GMBE and was with unison but they dont appear on the list so i may be outta luck
deeky

What about pay negotiations? I work on the railways and am in ASLEF. If … What about pay negotiations? I work on the railways and am in ASLEF. If we didn't have a Union do you think management would just say to me - here, we think you deserve a pay rise? Or are you suggesting that it's ok for you, me or him to just opt out of the union but still take the pay rises that those who are in the union have paid union subs to have negotiated on their behalf?

I used to work for Jarvis on the railway before they went under and the union was pretty good
Havince

I used to work for Jarvis on the railway before they went under and the … I used to work for Jarvis on the railway before they went under and the union was pretty good

Of course there are always those who knock ASLEF/any other union, but if you look at our pay and conditions compared to when I started 13 years ago, there is no comparison. Without unions, management would screw you over with every opportunity they had.
yeah its like my job now. my union have been fighting tog et the best possible pay rise across the board for last 3 month and i get regular emails with updates from them
deeky

What about pay negotiations? I work on the railways and am in ASLEF. If … What about pay negotiations? I work on the railways and am in ASLEF. If we didn't have a Union do you think management would just say to me - here, we think you deserve a pay rise? Or are you suggesting that it's ok for you, me or him to just opt out of the union but still take the pay rises that those who are in the union have paid union subs to have negotiated on their behalf?

Deeky in your case you should have a union. If your employer is willing to be part of the trade union your in luck and is well worth it.

I should of been more clear. If your employer is not part of the trade union it is a waste of time. If your employer is part of the trade union then its excellent and worth the money.
Humphman

Thank you for the 'friendly' advice, its always nice to know there are … Thank you for the 'friendly' advice, its always nice to know there are helpful people out there........................sheesh oOOr in other words butt out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with Sumo on this one. Give a man a fish and all that...
I'm employed (not self employed) and it works for me. I'm a teacher and in my humble opinion it would be foolish not to be in a union because of the danger of lawsuits etc and the fact we need them to make representations re conditions etc as the Education secretary does his best to dismantle the profession. It would also apply to professional bodies that doctors etc might choose to belong to. It's very simple tho you just write to your local tax office. They would tell you if the organisation wasn't an eligible one
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants