Taxing a car with no log book.

Found 15th Apr 2015
Hi, my aunt is buying a car from an older lady who has lost her log book. She has purchased two cars from this lady before, she is legitimate. The worry is how does she go about taxing it as the car has been on Sorn so no reference number to go about it. Appreciate all answers. Thank You.
Community Updates
AskCarBook
16 Comments
Tell the lady to get a copy of the log book from the dvla before selling it?
Need more info. Have you nicked the car yet?
kjcoolcat suggested exactly what I figure is the most likely solution if you need to tax it immediately (ie can't tow it away on a trailer and keep it off road while you apply for replacement. It would be easier for her to get the replacement anyway (as long as she was the registered keeper on the missing v5, and hasn't moved house.

That aside, I think what you really need to do is call the DVLA and ask one of their staff directly. They are in a far better position to know what you need to do than were are.
You cannot tax a car without the V5/C or a V62. The old dear will have to apply for a replacement otherwise your aunt will need to apply for a replacement via V62 (plus £25 fee) before being able to tax it. Unless of course its a trade sale (which doesn't seem likely given the OP) in which case tax can be allied for at the Post Office along with a V62.
if you go to dvla site to tax the vehicle it will ask you if you own it or the new owner, if you click new owner it will ask for all your details. once done as long as it is insured and mot'd it will let you tax it.... I have just done the same 2 weeks ago... hope this help
It is a legal requirement for the owner to notify DVLA of the sale and the purchasers details. That needs to be done on the logbook.
The owner gets the purchaser to sign the logbook and sends it to DVLA. The purchaser completes a tear off portion of the logbook and sends it to DVLA to register their ownership and obtain a logbook in the new owners name.

Very important to do this, otherwise fines.

just go to the post office and they tax it for you by filling in a form or if you have the previous tax disc take this with you as the can scan it. By filing in the form and taxing the vehicle it will automatically send a new logbook to your house.
I have done this on many occasions before so it shouldn't be a problem.
I couldn't find my log book when I was seeing my car recently, you can order a new one over the phone from the dvla it costs £25 and only took 3 days to arrive. Don't forget once a car is sold the dvla now automatically cancel the road tax ( even if there is still a paper disc in the car) and issue the seller with a refund. In theory you could be driving round thinking the tax disc is still valid so it's the new owners responsibility to get it taxed before driving.
booky

I couldn't find my log book when I was seeing my car recently, you can … I couldn't find my log book when I was seeing my car recently, you can order a new one over the phone from the dvla it costs £25 and only took 3 days to arrive. Don't forget once a car is sold the dvla now automatically cancel the road tax ( even if there is still a paper disc in the car) and issue the seller with a refund. In theory you could be driving round thinking the tax disc is still valid so it's the new owners responsibility to get it taxed before driving.

Thank You. I knew we could get the lady to apply for a new one. I thought it would take ages! Three days is amazing.
wolfy001

if you go to dvla site to tax the vehicle it will ask you if you own it … if you go to dvla site to tax the vehicle it will ask you if you own it or the new owner, if you click new owner it will ask for all your details. once done as long as it is insured and mot'd it will let you tax it.... I have just done the same 2 weeks ago... hope this help

Thank You for the help.
kjcoolcat

Tell the lady to get a copy of the log book from the dvla before selling … Tell the lady to get a copy of the log book from the dvla before selling it?

I was planning to do that, thought it would take ages. Looking for a quicker solution.
wolfy00115th Apr 2015

if you go to dvla site to tax the vehicle it will ask you if you own it or …if you go to dvla site to tax the vehicle it will ask you if you own it or the new owner, if you click new owner it will ask for all your details. once done as long as it is insured and mot'd it will let you tax it.... I have just done the same 2 weeks ago... hope this help

I've tried doing this onliine and at the post office (with a v62) without success. I got error code 6006 - does anybody know what this means.
What I did with a motorbike was use the v62 to apply for replacement logbook in the previous owners name and did a change of address to my parents address and this allowed me to tax it at the post office, I then changed the name and address to my own when that came through to their address, the only downside was any RFL refund had to be written off as it was a cheque in previous owners name, lost a grand total of £16 there lol.

Edit: Replacement log book took around 8 days.
Edited by: "harlzter" 4th Mar
mary.chandler36 m ago

I've tried doing this onliine and at the post office (with a v62) without …I've tried doing this onliine and at the post office (with a v62) without success. I got error code 6006 - does anybody know what this means.

The problem I believe is changing name and address using the V62 at the same time, just address is OK but name and address together needs further checks in some cases.
Just had a letter come here in regards to someone applying for a log book for a car I previously owned, I did a PX with a trader back in December for another one with full MOT as it needed shed loads of welding done for an MOT, cheapest quote was just over £200 he had it up for sale with full MOT a few days later, letter they send looks like,

33389476-ySMfF.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants