TDCi v HDi

Found 25th Dec 2011
Are these two engines basically the same ?.

I know I should be using relevant site but quite a few in the know on here.

Thanks.
Community Updates
Misc
22 Comments
I thought HDi was some form of hybrid diesel whilst tdci was turbo diesel?
PraxxtorCruel

I thought that too but the oracle that is wikipedia - ha - says;

Continuing the Ford/PSA diesel engine joint-venture[citation needed], … Continuing the Ford/PSA diesel engine joint-venture[citation needed], these straight-4 engines are again sold under the Duratorq TDCi name by Ford, and as the HDi by Citroën and Peugeot. An evolution of the existing DW10/DW12 engine[citation needed], the new engines have a traditional belt-driven system, moving away from the chain-driven camshafts of the previous generation (Puma) TDCi engines. Both engines utilise common rail diesel technology and are the result of the fourth phase of the cooperation between PSA and Ford (initiated in 1998)[citation needed].

I also just read that tdci's tend to suffer injection failures and that when choosing between tdci and hdi you should go for hdi. I read this on a forum I just googled.
PraxxtorCruel

I also just read that tdci's tend to suffer injection failures and that … I also just read that tdci's tend to suffer injection failures and that when choosing between tdci and hdi you should go for hdi. I read this on a forum I just googled.

hmm, according to some self-professed [worked in the trade for a day or 2] mechanic the HDi turbo's give in - but that's expected . .
v5535

hmm, according to some self-professed [worked in the trade for a day or … hmm, according to some self-professed [worked in the trade for a day or 2] mechanic the HDi turbo's give in - but that's expected . .

I also just found that ford use hdi on a range of their vehicles but just rebadge them to tdci oO
I have a Hdi and that is a turbo diesel.

HDi is High Pressure Direct Injection

PraxxtorCruel

dga

HOLY COW...people don't know this?? oOTDCI is HDI is TDV6 is some JTDs … HOLY COW...people don't know this?? oOTDCI is HDI is TDV6 is some JTDs too. Its the joint PSA/Ford diesel development program.My Jag has the same V6 diesel as a Citroen C5 V6 HDI and Land Rover Discovery

2.7 HDI? My parents C6 has it, was quite surprised at how good it is.
dga

HOLY COW...people don't know this?? oOTDCI is HDI is TDV6 is some JTDs … HOLY COW...people don't know this?? oOTDCI is HDI is TDV6 is some JTDs too. Its the joint PSA/Ford diesel development program.My Jag has the same V6 diesel as a Citroen C5 V6 HDI and Land Rover Discovery

Oh yeah people who have no interest in the car industry besides just wanting a car to take them from A to B should know this. My apologies.
dga

dga

So which Fiat have the 1.4/6 JTDs any ideas ?.

dga

I think its astounding that people buy blind, isn't that what this site … I think its astounding that people buy blind, isn't that what this site is all about?That car, it diesel, me buy? That's how Renault have carried on all these years! oO

Do you do the same thing with everything you buy? I don't think so.
dga

1.6 JTD?Alfa Romeo MitoAlfa Romeo Giulietta (2010)Fiat BravoFiat … 1.6 JTD?Alfa Romeo MitoAlfa Romeo Giulietta (2010)Fiat BravoFiat DoblòFiat Grande PuntoFiat IdeaLancia DeltaLancia MusaAFAIK there is no 1.4 JTD...you are a terrible smart-****.

Hence why I asked as there are 1.4 HDi/TDCi
dga

I take purchases over a few hundred pounds pretty seriously, a few … I take purchases over a few hundred pounds pretty seriously, a few thousand pounds though...oO

I would go as far to ask the engine specs etc, but you'd want the blueprints oO
dga

Model equivalents are not blueprint level details. Are you always a drama … Model equivalents are not blueprint level details. Are you always a drama queen when defending ignorant consumer behaviour? Its like comparing a Motorola Xoom to a Sony S tablet, they both have Nvidia Tegra 2 processors.

Don't get it fortunately, it's a bit off for you to say that everyone should know whats under their car's hood because most of the time people don't even know how much bhp the car has which to me seems like something everyone should know about their car.
dga

Just before someone jumps in with it, the only JTD models that are … Just before someone jumps in with it, the only JTD models that are rebranded PSA engines are the 1.9 and 2.0 (DW10) in the Scudo/Ulysses platform.Fiat have gone on to make diesels for GM (Vauxhall, SAAB, etc) so when you see the CDTi badge (execpt for the 1.7 which is an Izusu IIRC) its a Fiat design.Nissan unfortunately are using Renault DCi engines, not the greatest designs either but better than the wet liner design of the 80's/90's.

Yeah, was looking at the 807/C8/Uylesse which are identical.

The reason for asking for 1.4/6 is 'cos they're f the better HDi's . . oO

You're a cranky sod aren't you, whetevra the matter is.
v5535

Yeah, was looking at the 807/C8/Uylesse which are identical.The reason … Yeah, was looking at the 807/C8/Uylesse which are identical.The reason for asking for 1.4/6 is 'cos they're f the better HDi's . . oOYou're a cranky sod aren't you, whetevra the matter is.

I'm not cranky, although I do like the unintended pun! Need more meds unfortunately

One thing I would say with diesels is this, if its longevity you want from your purchase its better to hit the nail with a big lump hammer than tap it like crazy with a toffee hammer. The 1.4 TDCi/HDi is a good choice for the Fiesta/206 but not suited to everyones driving style.

Lastly on this rant (I'll be high again in a minute), if all you do it travel in an urban environment do think twice about purchasing a modern diesel. DPF/FAP filters are the diesel equivalent to the catalytic converter for a petrol car, they remove harmful bits from the exhaust emission. A DPF/FAP need high temperatures to operate properly and if they don't get up to temperature frequently then they will soot up and eventually block which its damn costly. I would not recommend a modern diesel car to anyone who doesn't have a 30 minute drive on a motorway, dual-carriageway at least once a week. Without this the DPF/FAP unit will not go into regenerative mode which burns off the collected particulates by injecting diesel into the exhaust (think afterburner without the performance gain).

When you factor in that some modern cheap petrol cars are doing +50MPG combined, 4 year old 1.4 5 door Astra for example, then what is the purpose of getting a diesel? However if you get the chance to buy a 1.2TDi Audi A2 or Lupo 3l, do so. They are modern collectors items to be, be prepared to travel hundreds of miles for one and splash out quite a few thousand.

Right, meds....
dga

I'm not cranky, although I do like the unintended pun! Need more meds … I'm not cranky, although I do like the unintended pun! Need more meds unfortunately :|One thing I would say with diesels is this, if its longevity you want from your purchase its better to hit the nail with a big lump hammer than tap it like crazy with a toffee hammer. The 1.4 TDCi/HDi is a good choice for the Fiesta/206 but not suited to everyones driving style.Lastly on this rant (I'll be high again in a minute), if all you do it travel in an urban environment do think twice about purchasing a modern diesel. DPF/FAP filters are the diesel equivalent to the catalytic converter for a petrol car, they remove harmful bits from the exhaust emission. A DPF/FAP need high temperatures to operate properly and if they don't get up to temperature frequently then they will soot up and eventually block which its damn costly. I would not recommend a modern diesel car to anyone who doesn't have a 30 minute drive on a motorway, dual-carriageway at least once a week. Without this the DPF/FAP unit will not go into regenerative mode which burns off the collected particulates by injecting diesel into the exhaust (think afterburner without the performance gain).When you factor in that some modern cheap petrol cars are doing +50MPG combined, 4 year old 1.4 5 door Astra for example, then what is the purpose of getting a diesel? However if you get the chance to buy a 1.2TDi Audi A2 or Lupo 3l, do so. They are modern collectors items to be, be prepared to travel hundreds of miles for one and splash out quite a few thousand.Right, meds....

Petrol Astra's do not do 50mpgs at all, or anywhere near that. I had an 11 reg astra few months back and I couldn't get more than 25.1 mpg out of it, it was 1.6 113bhp sri. You'll probably say I slammed the accelerator down, but that was far from it.
Edited by: "PraxxtorCruel" 25th Dec 2011
dga

I'm not cranky, although I do like the unintended pun! Need more meds … I'm not cranky, although I do like the unintended pun! Need more meds unfortunately :|One thing I would say with diesels is this, if its longevity you want from your purchase its better to hit the nail with a big lump hammer than tap it like crazy with a toffee hammer. The 1.4 TDCi/HDi is a good choice for the Fiesta/206 but not suited to everyones driving style.Lastly on this rant (I'll be high again in a minute), if all you do it travel in an urban environment do think twice about purchasing a modern diesel. DPF/FAP filters are the diesel equivalent to the catalytic converter for a petrol car, they remove harmful bits from the exhaust emission. A DPF/FAP need high temperatures to operate properly and if they don't get up to temperature frequently then they will soot up and eventually block which its damn costly. I would not recommend a modern diesel car to anyone who doesn't have a 30 minute drive on a motorway, dual-carriageway at least once a week. Without this the DPF/FAP unit will not go into regenerative mode which burns off the collected particulates by injecting diesel into the exhaust (think afterburner without the performance gain).When you factor in that some modern cheap petrol cars are doing +50MPG combined, 4 year old 1.4 5 door Astra for example, then what is the purpose of getting a diesel? However if you get the chance to buy a 1.2TDi Audi A2 or Lupo 3l, do so. They are modern collectors items to be, be prepared to travel hundreds of miles for one and splash out quite a few thousand.Right, meds....

You insult my limited intelligence

Reet, must say, you know your stuff.

Ideally after a 1.7 Astra or 1.6/8 Focus and been looking th the 307 HDi 1.6 too.

In short diesels are high maintenance and need to be driven a fair amount for maximum effect.

The main reason is Diesels low VED and subsequent MPG and see your point about petrol but getting a genuine low mileage petrol motor is bloody tough!

The A2 TDi would be a dream but as you say, impossible to get. Do other diesels <1.4 not come close to these and was the 1.2 only in the A2 - not used in a Fabia or Ibiza ?.

Cheers.
PraxxtorCruel

Petrol Astra's do not do 50mpg's at all, or anywhere near that. I had an … Petrol Astra's do not do 50mpg's at all, or anywhere near that. I had an 11 reg astra few months back and I couldn't get more than 25.1 mpg out of it, it was 1.6 113bhp sri. You'll probably say I slammed the accelerator down, but that was far from it.

He did some 4 year old tbf and 1.6 SRi lol, you hardly purchase for economy. 1.6 are gas guzzlers anyway and SRi, you're asking for trouble.
Which 1.4s are they as all VED bands are F which is steep.

dga

Typical GM, you should try the Zafira oO46 mpg combined for all the 1.4 … Typical GM, you should try the Zafira oO46 mpg combined for all the 1.4 Astra H models.

Well the Astra I had promised Average mpg 44.8, I had nearly half that.
Edited by: "PraxxtorCruel" 25th Dec 2011
dga

Think of it this way, GM are not lying but that test was performed in … Think of it this way, GM are not lying but that test was performed in perfect conditions, in the perfect car with the ideal driver all of which you are not, don't have and reside in the UK ;)Don't sweat it, I have averaged 30mpg for the last few thousand miles but getting close to combined figures in a big diesel is pretty easy even though I do see 4mpg current consumption often.Fuel consumption (urban) 25.9 mpgFuel consumption (extra urban) 46.5 mpgFuel consumption (combined) 36 mpg

Answer this, why is it people with fast cars drive so slow?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants