Teaching leadership courses over summer holidays

Found 31st May
Just a random question out there for those teachers who do these week/end leadership residential courses. Do you ever get the days back or get paid extra for these? As I find it’s very unfair to expect people to give up their family time in the holidays.

Will be good to know your thoughts on this.
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
They don't get their time back or any extra pay.
They're also not paid for any other out of hours work, it's pretty much like any standard salaried position.

Even if they did get their time back they wouldn't be able to take the holiday because they have to take holidays outside of term time, when they would have had their holiday anyway.
Cleaners have to go in the holidays to do deep cleans, they don't get paid the extra pittance. It's all in your salary.
splatsplatsplat10 m ago

Cleaners have to go in the holidays to do deep cleans, they don't get paid …Cleaners have to go in the holidays to do deep cleans, they don't get paid the extra pittance. It's all in your salary.

But teachers are paid 195 days (plus holiday uplift). That doesn't cover these courses.

If a cleaner has to go in for a week of deep clean, their contract and salary is for 200 days (plus uplift).

So cleaners are paid for the extra days. Teachers aren't.

(no, I'm not a teacher)
Yeah as I suspected it’s just another thing expected by teachers to do .... and it’s not even about getting paid extra it’s just so bad that teachers are just expected to work so long out of their normal working hours without any choice.
eayragt13 m ago

But teachers are paid 195 days (plus holiday uplift). That doesn't cover …But teachers are paid 195 days (plus holiday uplift). That doesn't cover these courses.If a cleaner has to go in for a week of deep clean, their contract and salary is for 200 days (plus uplift).So cleaners are paid for the extra days. Teachers aren't.(no, I'm not a teacher)

Yep your right. It’s like saying these are your hours but then moving the goal post when ever it’s needed. I have so much respect for teachers out there! (No, I’m not a teacher either)
I am a teacher and no you don't get back the time or the hours. In the teacher standards theres a section called 'fulfil wider professional responsibilities' courses like that would come under that category - and its not always the most easiest standard to show you've completed. So though you wouldn't get paid for running said course, you might be able to use it as evidence of meeting standards and moving up the pay scale.
I love that clause. Imagine trying to get that in a Local Government or Civil Service contract - they'd never get away with it!

Teachers contracts are that little bit special, but not as special as teachers. Fortunately it can be a well paid job that justifies the extra hours, but when you're starting out please don't work out your hourly rate for the hours you actually put in. You'll not be too happy with the results...
eayragt46 m ago

I love that clause. Imagine trying to get that in a Local Government or …I love that clause. Imagine trying to get that in a Local Government or Civil Service contract - they'd never get away with it!Teachers contracts are that little bit special, but not as special as teachers. Fortunately it can be a well paid job that justifies the extra hours, but when you're starting out please don't work out your hourly rate for the hours you actually put in. You'll not be too happy with the results...

Oh definitely you may end up under the National wage 🙈
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants