Groups

Team Building Event - (limited budget) any ideas?

This year I've been asked to help organise a team event for our office of 60 people. Previously there has been no limit to spend, but due to the recession I've been told that we have to have the 'Away Day' in one of our own offices and the cost has to be kept to a mininum.

Has anyone had to organise anything similar? What 'team building events' did you do on the day?

Our format is quite simple:

Achievements and Objectives
    Motivational Speaker
    Some sort of in-house team event - related to work
    Lunch
    Main Team Event - possibly external. (main idea at the moment (not mine) is a Treasure Hunt).

I hate all this sort of thing - so having to organise one is a nightmare. Any ideas would be extremely helpful.

17 Comments

Just go bowling with a unlimited free bar.
    Thats what I call team building...

let the program do the work for you, do a 'Dragons Den' style format where the teams have to put forward their ideas for a team building exercise and award the best idea.......

and use the best idea for the main event?? but have a back-up if they are all rubbish..lol

idea within an idea?!?

IME and having attending a number of team building events, the most useful and productive for building the team was an afternoon in the pub.

Go out as a team, pick up a homeless guy and kill him, than bury him somewhere
    you'll learn to trust each other a lot more after that

I'd suggest doing a Myers Briggs team diagnostic - then using it to help the team understand how they work together and what frustrations they may have with some people and the way they work. You then can weave in where the dept is going to, and do motivational how to get there. Agree with others its nice to end with something fun,non threatening like meal or bowling/ climbing/pub.

Banned

How about a 5-a-side footy day, with trophies, etc

I feel so sorry for you - I hate this sort of thing too. Why oh why do companies insist on wasting money doing this?

As you've got a limited budget you could have an 'apprentice' themed afternoon activity where people spilit into say 6 teams of 10. choose a leader etc etc...you would need to think of what outcome is needed so you know the 'challenge' that needs to be set (ie work related or not).

Paintballing, everyone else has to pay for the balls.

chunky;6351744

As you've got a limited budget you could have an 'apprentice' themed … As you've got a limited budget you could have an 'apprentice' themed afternoon activity where people spilit into say 6 teams of 10. choose a leader etc etc...you would need to think of what outcome is needed so you know the 'challenge' that needs to be set (ie work related or not).

yeah this is a good one, why not do a negotiation task, you have teams of say 6, so 10 teams. Give them £20 a team and a list of items and the ones that come back with all the items the cheapest wins. Put stuff on the list that people can enjoy after, for example a bottle of wine or belgian chocolates and some funny stuff like, a pair of novelty socks. The rule is though they can't pay the full price listed in the shop, they must get some money knocked off. Award extra points if they get all the items etc.

there is something called GoApe that looks like fun..
    check it out

I like the cartoon Dilbert, so the one from today could help:

Hand out baseball bats to all and let the fight begin.
    Lunch
    Main Team Event - After loosing 50% in the morning, then you would have more budget for the afternoon.

Just think, your job will be safer from redundancies :-)

Original Poster

Thanks for all the good ideas. Killing colleagues sounds like fun, but I think the apprentice task is winning so far. I can just imagine the MD trying to procure a pair of crotchless panties at a reduced price. :oops:

Anyone know any good motivational speakers.................on the cheap?

LazyDonkey;6352500

Thanks for all the good ideas. Killing colleagues sounds like fun, but I … Thanks for all the good ideas. Killing colleagues sounds like fun, but I think the apprentice task is winning so far. I can just imagine the MD trying to procure a pair of crotchless panties at a reduced price. :oops:Anyone know any good motivational speakers.................on the cheap?

How cheap?! Do you have the budget for flights/accomodation etc or are you looking local. For london you could just look through entertainment agencies and see what you come up with.

LazyDonkey;6352500

Thanks for all the good ideas. Killing colleagues sounds like fun, but I … Thanks for all the good ideas. Killing colleagues sounds like fun, but I think the apprentice task is winning so far. I can just imagine the MD trying to procure a pair of crotchless panties at a reduced price. :oops:Anyone know any good motivational speakers.................on the cheap?

Yeah you can make the list as funny as you like. I went to an event with Uni in London and we had buy t-shirts with our pictures on it, the team that won got baby t-shirts printed, they were much cheaper, one member of the team also worked for an hour for free at one place so they could have 12 red roses for free.

Re motivational speaker - depends what theme of the event is to be honest. Also any teambuilding activities really need to be linked so at least you meet the objectives of the event. Do you know the theme??

Hi there,

Not sure if you are still looking for team building but I went on a wicked event with my company in March (there were 80 of us) where we did activities based around the theme of survival and built shelters, fires, did navigation exercises and learnt about traps and hunting and gathering food and water. It was really different, so much fun and everyone really got into it especially the shelter building. It was so different to any other event we have done and we do them twice a year.

I think the event organiser was called Strive2survive run by an ex-military survival expert. Think they also do private groups as well and would love to send my other half and mates on it for weekend to survive the elements and see them suffer! :oops:

Hope this helps.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767218
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1012
      3. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?917
      4. love affairs912

See more discussions