Tech Advice: Surround Sound with only a 3.5mm jack available?

Found 10th Jul
Hi folks,

Not exactly a tech virgin, but can't figure out how to use one of these mini projectors (which only has a 3.5mm jack for sound input) and connect a surround sound system to it?

Is there a cable or something I could buy to make that possible?

I'm trying to get the mini projector outside in the garden and have it make enough noise to satisfy me and about 10 other lads for the world cup final!

Any advice much appreciated!
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
easiest thing look at the spec of your projector in the instructions book
if you have lost the instructions then google is your friend
Original Poster
Infractionboi6 m ago

easiest thing look at the spec of your projector in the instructions …easiest thing look at the spec of your projector in the instructions bookif you have lost the instructions then google is your friend

Well, I know it has a HDMI which will be taken up by an Amazon Firestick, a VGA connection and a 3.5mm headphone and AV hole.

Other than that, I wouldn't know what i'm googling, hence asking for educated advice on here.
you may want to give ppl more info then like name of projector and maybe a photo of the outputs good luck
Original Poster
Infractionboi3 m ago

you may want to give ppl more info then like name of projector and maybe a …you may want to give ppl more info then like name of projector and maybe a photo of the outputs good luck

34304577-jGYsb.jpg
Here is a visual representation of what I detailed above.
a single 3.5 jack can only do 2.1 sound
Original Poster
mattsk1 m ago

a single 3.5 jack can only do 2.1 sound

So with my existing surround sound being 5.1 system, it wouldn't be possible no matter what cables or adapters are available?
unlikely.

basically thesea re 3.5 jacks mostly used and the sockets will be respective of that
quora.com/Wha…ops

EDIT
you need HDMI fiberoptic, or coaxial in order to have 5.1 sound
Edited by: "mattsk" 10th Jul
Original Poster
mattsk9 m ago

unlikely.basically thesea re 3.5 jacks mostly used and the sockets will be …unlikely.basically thesea re 3.5 jacks mostly used and the sockets will be respective of thathttps://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-3-5-mm-jack-in-mobiles-and-laptopsEDITyou need HDMI fiberoptic, or coaxial in order to have 5.1 sound

Thanks.

See based on the link, would this suggest that while I could use the system, it just wouldn't function as "surround" but would still play the volume out of all the speakers, just the same bit from each one? Have I got that right?
JusticeForThe962 m ago

Thanks.See based on the link, would this suggest that while I could use …Thanks.See based on the link, would this suggest that while I could use the system, it just wouldn't function as "surround" but would still play the volume out of all the speakers, just the same bit from each one? Have I got that right?

correct. however I would make sure that sound output is sent as stereo and not 5.1. this is because vocals are usually transmitted via rear speakers. leaving 5.1 on would mean that a lot of sound would be muffled or very quiet
Original Poster
mattsk1 m ago

correct. however I would make sure that sound output is sent as stereo and …correct. however I would make sure that sound output is sent as stereo and not 5.1. this is because vocals are usually transmitted via rear speakers. leaving 5.1 on would mean that a lot of sound would be muffled or very quiet

Brilliant advice mate, that will do the job then. Not ideal but meets the need! Thank you.
you could scroll through the sound settings on your cinema surround to see if you have a dolby pro logic II setting this will reproduce 5.1 sound from a stereo input
Edited by: "ding" 10th Jul
Original Poster
ding10 m ago

you could scroll through the sound settings on your cinema surround to see …you could scroll through the sound settings on your cinema surround to see if you have a dolby pro logic II setting this will reproduce 5.1 sound from a stereo input

Okay, will do mate, thanks for the suggestion!
It'll only carry two channels of sound. Sound processors invent five channels from that using various technologies like the above mentioned Dolby Pro Logic II or just copy the stereo signal to the left and right rear speakers.

You don't say anything about your current system. If you only have six unpowered speakers then you'd have to buy something to do that, and probably amplify the signal too.

If you have a more complicated home theatre system (often with an central box) then it may have that functionality built in.
Original Poster
EndlessWaves11 m ago

It'll only carry two channels of sound. Sound processors invent five …It'll only carry two channels of sound. Sound processors invent five channels from that using various technologies like the above mentioned Dolby Pro Logic II or just copy the stereo signal to the left and right rear speakers. You don't say anything about your current system. If you only have six unpowered speakers then you'd have to buy something to do that, and probably amplify the signal too.If you have a more complicated home theatre system (often with an central box) then it may have that functionality built in.

I don't know much about the existing one to be honest, I know it has a subwoofer from which the other smaller speakers run, but that's about it. Haven't used it for ages.
Why do you need surround sound for a football match ?
Original Poster
kester763 h, 41 m ago

Why do you need surround sound for a football match ?

Why don't I?
JusticeForThe969 h, 25 m ago

Why don't I?

Stereo will be fine. Your amp should be able to mix this stereo to all you speakers easily enough. Surround is pretty much overkill for a match. Also trying to setup a surround system outdoors properly is a massive undertaking.

Other option is a HDMI splitter to split the source between your amp and projector.
you need one of these, just turn the volume on the projector down as to not blow your amp.

amazon.co.uk/dp/…374
amazon.co.uk/Spl…J60
use a 1 in 2 out hdmi splitter. firestick in the in and out to projector and amp

Edit saying that if the amp has hdmi you dont even need the above put the firestick in one of the hdmi in on the amp and the output to the projector,
Edited by: "djnaff" 12th Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants