Tech Help! Mobile and possibly Laptop.

Posted 4th Dec
Help! Need phone and laptop recommendation.

Background:
My Samsung Galaxy Note 4 died today. It crashed a couple of times and then got stuck in a reboot loop that I can't get out of. I knew this day was coming, there were signs, but I put off replacing the phone because whatever I moved to felt like I was losing something I already had. I'm looking to buy a new phone outright, ideally today, but I've not kept up with phone reviews and price trends and my knowledge is at least a couple of years out of date.

I'm currently writing this on a twice-cracked sickly Samsung Galaxy S3 that struggles to not crash apps even when simply browsing webpages, so my research ability is limited.

Phone Requirements:
The Note 4 was pretty ideal as far as my phone expectations go. I made regular use of the pen to take screen captures and snips and annotate/edit them, it was very useful. The camera was good enough, not a big photo taker, and it was powerful enough to keep up with some more modern apps for the most part, it was starting to struggle though.
I'm ideally looking for something that has some longevity, the Note 4 lasted me 4 years. Powerful enough that it won't start choking on some more demanding apps. Camera doesn't really phase me all that much. My maximum budget is probably between £600-800 but I'm not eager to spend loads and I'm open to spending less as long the device is powerful enough. My primary concern is getting as much value as possible. The Note 4 was £5-600 around the time I got it and it did everything. I hope you can help with some recommendations!

Laptop Recommendations:
I'm also looking for a cheap laptop(with inbuilt webcam) that I can use for web-browsing, typing, skyping, and backing up phone data to a plug-in hard-drive. My current laptop is older, bulky and biting it(20 minute boot times, errors everywhere, could die at any moment) and I hardly use it as a result. I did everything on my Note 4. I probably would continue to default to the new phone but a cheap laptop would be useful. It won't be doing any heavy lifting so it doesn't need to be massively powerful but I'd prefer if it were at least a little swift. Since I'm looking for something small and cheap I'm prone to encountering cheap tat that I'd rather avoid. Help steer me clear of the tat! Something ~£150-£200 -ish? I remember there used to be some cheap £100-something laptops in Curry's but I don't know how useful they'd be.

There's a Curry's with a Carphone Warehouse and an Argos nearby so I'd aim for there but if there are better options elsewhere I could maybe travel a little.

Thank you for reading! Please help me tech wizards!!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

4 Comments
If the Note does everything you need just go for the newest Note you can get for your budget.

A chrome book might suit your laptop needs.
Would you consider used?

I suggest you consider Grade B Note 9.

New note 10 is £700, which I feel it is a bit too expensive...

If you after £200 laptop, I suggest you consider used lenovo thinkpad on eBay.
14" T460 or 12" X260, with i5 6300u , 8GB RAM, 180/ 256GB SSD is around your budget.

I am not a fan of chromebook or low spec laptop.
Cisco06060604/12/2019 16:32

Would you consider used?I suggest you consider Grade B Note 9. New note 10 …Would you consider used?I suggest you consider Grade B Note 9. New note 10 is £700, which I feel it is a bit too expensive...If you after £200 laptop, I suggest you consider used lenovo thinkpad on eBay.14" T460 or 12" X260, with i5 6300u , 8GB RAM, 180/ 256GB SSD is around your budget.I am not a fan of chromebook or low spec laptop.

I'm not a big fan of used because of the uncertainty of part wear. The warranty is longer with new too.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants