tech help needed please

i am using an old comp (not at home) and 3g mob internet

it is soooo slow -

when i plugged dongle in it did say i needed ??? usb for system to run faster

do i need to buy a powered usb hub??

was using laptop but internet kept cutting out - curser kept flying off in all directions

help greatly appeciated - before i kick this into touch

help appreciated

6 Comments

Old PC probably only USB 1.0 or USB 1.1 and it is recommending you upgrade to USB 2.0

It shouldn't make a difference either way. USB 1.1 is still 12Mbps.

If it's not connecting at 3G it will be slower than a week in jail - GPRS is what most downgrade to if the signal isn't good enough.

Original Poster

tightasagnatschu;4808900

Old PC probably only USB 1.0 or USB 1.1 and it is recommending you … Old PC probably only USB 1.0 or USB 1.1 and it is recommending you upgrade to USB 2.0

yes - think thats what it said - can i buy an upgrade and fit it??

You can get pci to usb 2.0 cards yes. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

esq3585;4809010

You can get pci to usb 2.0 cards yes. :thumbsup:

thanks - hope thse are easy to it - :thinking:

holly100;4809098

thanks - hope thse are easy to it - :thinking:

As XboxGuru mentioned, the issue isn't your USB ports. The firmware of the modem is programmed to be USB2 compatible and Windows recognises this but does not know that the modem does not transmit faster than USB 1.1 speeds (unless your USB ports are the original USB 1.0). USB is an interface rather than a method of data transmission. Consequently, if the interface is faster than the device that is transmitting the data, it is not necessary to upgrade that interface.

The issue is that either your modem has not been set to use HSDPA which uses multichannels of a certain frequency to the nearest base station or the nearest base station is out of range in which the speed will be downgraded by connecting to base stations that use single channel transfers (if there is one within range).

If there are no base stations within range then you are out of luck.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. How dangerous is Donald trump?1016
    2. Sad news about Barcelona2182
    3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846125
    4. A Nigerian prince and bit coins scam33

See more discussions