Groups

Tech Help Please! Vista

Tech advice needed! loading your desktop- temp profile

Hi everyone, when i start my computer it now comes up with message ''loading your desktop'' , takes 5-10 mins to load home screen (which now appears with only icons pre loaded , i.e. all my files folders have vanished) and a message pops up reading ' you have been logged on with a temporary profile, all chages will not be saved etc), basically i have lost all my icons/files and i cannot make changes to this desktop as it will not save them... i have tried rebooting, starting in safe mode etc, but nothing has regained my old profile.. any help advise would be great.

6 Comments

Sound like your profile file is corrupt.

Log-off & on again to see if you are then back to your original profile (user name) settings.

If you right-click your [Start] button (on the Task Bar) & select "Explore..." you will see that you have logged in as a different (temporary) user as suggested in the message.

Your files will still be there just in a different sub-folder of the C:\Documents And Settings\ folder &/or C:\Users\ folder.

BFN,

fp.

PS. Sorry I couldn't be more accurate with the exact messages; I'm using MS-Windows XP at present & the Vista menus/folders are slightly different.

BFN,

fp.

Create a new profile in the control panel then logon with the new profile.

You can then navigate through the old profile throught C:/documents and settings and see if its there?

Original Poster

thanks for your help guys...will try these suggestions when i get home from work.. ur help much appreciated

download and scan with malwarebytes from safe mode, sometimes the profile is savable
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047117
      2. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***418
      3. love affairs1649
      4. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1525

See more discussions