Tech (laptop buying) advice please

Found 16th JulEdited by:"stfagos"
I was looking to get some advice on laptops please. I'm looking for general usage (word processing, web browsing), as well as video editing (just 1080p 30fps probably, but flexibility/headroom would be nice). I was considering either this...

currys.co.uk/gbu…718

which has an
  • i7-7500U Processor
  • RAM: 16 GB / Storage: 256 GB SSD
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 940M

Or perhaps waiting for something to come down in price with an i5 8th gen, just UHD620 graphics and 8gb of RAM, with perhaps a nicer design (such as the Acer Swift 5). Does anyone have the expertise to advise me please?

Everything I read suggests that I should definitely get an i5-8250u over this processor, but I'm wondering if actually this would still be an amazing laptop deal? Again, if I could get a really cool, very slim laptop that would also be nice.

I'm looking for about a £600 budget.
Thanks a lot in advance!
Community Updates
AskLaptop
6 Comments
Cisco0606061 h, 21 m ago

Acer Swift 3 with i5-8250 and MX150 is only …Acer Swift 3 with i5-8250 and MX150 is only £650https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GQUEK.001-Acer-Swift-3-SF314-52G-59DZ_2268981.htmlAsus Vivobook with i5-8250 and 940MX is £638https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asus-vivobook-core-i5-8250u-8gb-256gb-ssd-15.6-inch-nvidia-geforce-gtx-940m-s510uq-bq517t/version.aspHowever, if weight or battery life is not important, you could consider this instead as it has higher spec.https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GP8EK.002-Acer-Aspire-7-A715-71G-53HF_2283341.html

Thank you for the advice. I've bought the Dell already, but still considering other options.
I would look up some benchmarks/articles to see how much your video editing software of choice benefits from a GPU. If it's only a small amount or not at all then you don't want to be paying extra for the 940M, you might as well spend it on something more important like a better screen or input devices.
EndlessWaves24 m ago

I would look up some benchmarks/articles to see how much your video …I would look up some benchmarks/articles to see how much your video editing software of choice benefits from a GPU. If it's only a small amount or not at all then you don't want to be paying extra for the 940M, you might as well spend it on something more important like a better screen or input devices.

Thanks. I think this is a good screen but I agree, I'd want to know as well. As I understand it, if you're using a fair few transition effects, this is where the discreet GPU comes into its own.
Don't buy from curry's or pc world . You WILL regret it in the end . Go with John Lewis or some other retailer that has good customer service and warranty service
dezbo888819 m ago

Don't buy from curry's or pc world . You WILL regret it in the end . Go …Don't buy from curry's or pc world . You WILL regret it in the end . Go with John Lewis or some other retailer that has good customer service and warranty service

Thanks, but I have a lot of Currys vouchers, so I was restricted to there.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants