Groups

Techie help needed.....

I have been emailed an application form for a job I am interested in. When I try to open the document on microsoft works word processor on my dell laptop the formatting is all over the place. The document is impossible to read. I contacted the employer and they said that no one else had complained of this issue and they emailed me it again. Yet again when I opened the document it was all over the place. I've emailed it to a friend and they were able to open it and print it off but I need to complete it and email it back asap due to deadlines and I dont have access to another computer. Does anybody know how I can sort out this issue?

thanks

9 Comments

what type of document is it? .doc? Have you got Word installed?

Download openoffice and open it with that. Can handle most formats. Its free and available :

download.openoffice.org/

Hi.
    Can you get your friend to re-save the document or maybe save as a different version and then see if you can open it.
    You can send to me and ill try if you like.
    Kind regards
    Ady

Try opening it with wordpad if thats no good find out what program was used to create the document in the first place as some things dont port over well from other programs.

Sounds like you're opening a .doc in wordpad. As someone said, get Open Office

Original Poster

its a doc document. I've never had any issues opening anything before.

If i use the open office program will there be any compatibility issues when I send the email back to the employer?

nope, it's made to be basically word

martinhb;6709163

Download openoffice and open it with that. Can handle most formats. Its … Download openoffice and open it with that. Can handle most formats. Its free and available :http://download.openoffice.org/

roryk83;6709234

its a doc document. I've never had any issues opening anything before.If … its a doc document. I've never had any issues opening anything before.If i use the open office program will there be any compatibility issues when I send the email back to the employer?

Robotochan;6709246

nope, it's made to be basically word

^^^ This. You can't open a .doc in works (unless you install a compatibility pack I believe) but you're better off getting OpenOffice and filling in the form and sending it back. It will be saved as a word doc and your potential employer will still be able to open it.

Original Poster

thanks guys
    worked a treat
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Who's getting the Xbox X Scorpio? 60 day satisfaction1212
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …90153
      3. Are these two things distinctly different to you?30115
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764501

See more discussions