Groups

Techie help needed!

Whenever my dad has switched his computer on in the last few days and signs into his account the windows is loading page appears but it never completes. The circle thing keeps going round so it looks like it will complete at some point but it never does, we've left it on for hours and no luck.

Its windows vista hes using.

Anybody know what I can do to fix it?

Rep will be added

thanks

8 Comments

Restart computer and keep pressing F8 till a menu appears.

Choose Last known good configuration and click enter.

it will restart and hopefully go back to the last time he used it and be ok

if not restart and press F8 again until the menu appears again..........this time choose

Start in safe mode

when computer finally gets to the normal screen you will get a warning box telling you are in safe mode...click ok

Now open system restore and choose to restore to an earlier date...........choose a date and click ok.

computer will now go back to that date.................it will restart itself and should go back to the sign in screen ...........put in name or whatever it is and click ok

that should fix it...................if not, you have a bigger problem

renagade27

If non of these works, start up the computer with the Windows installation disc in the drive, follow the instructions and select the "Repair" option.

Banned

renagade27;7279253

Restart computer and keep pressing F8 till a menu appears.Choose Last … Restart computer and keep pressing F8 till a menu appears.Choose Last known good configuration and click enter.it will restart and hopefully go back to the last time he used it and be okif not restart and press F8 again until the menu appears again..........this time chooseStart in safe modewhen computer finally gets to the normal screen you will get a warning box telling you are in safe mode...click okNow open system restore and choose to restore to an earlier date...........choose a date and click ok.computer will now go back to that date.................it will restart itself and should go back to the sign in screen ...........put in name or whatever it is and click okthat should fix it...................if not, you have a bigger problemrenagade27

If its a virus system restore probably won't work.. You can also use the system recovery disk which might have been included when you bought it. Is usually an extra though when pre-loaded on a computer

Edit : think person above is along the same lines :thumbsup:

Sounds to me it could be an update error I've had this before when the computer has shut down halfway through installing updates. As for solutions try the above good advice then once sorted check for updates and allow them to install fully.

Hope you get it sorted.

H.

ryman1000;7279303

If its a virus system restore probably won't work.. You can also use the … If its a virus system restore probably won't work.. You can also use the system recovery disk which might have been included when you bought it. Is usually an extra though when pre-loaded on a computerEdit : think person above is along the same lines :thumbsup:

Working as a tech...............I would bet they don't have any disk. That is why is said to try the 2 steps 1st. And mentioned if that does NOT work then you have bigger problem, maybe a virus or update fault.

Lets see if they get anywhere using the basic F8 instructions 1st.

renagade27

Original Poster

no luck with the first two steps
    Although the only restore point was one dated today....any advice, dont think we have the discs

roryk83;7279569

no luck with the first two steps :(Although the only restore point was … no luck with the first two steps :(Although the only restore point was one dated today....any advice, dont think we have the discs

If you can get the computer to run under safe mode, and if you managed to get the system restore working, albeit with 1 date, you will have to try running a programme to remove any horrors with in the pc.

Can you get access to another pc? if so go to this link download.cnet.com/Mal…Aux and download Malware bytes and copy it to a usb stick.

On the pc that is not working properly......run in safe mode and copy the file and install it on the pc in safe mode. once installed run a full scan...........................it will take a while.

Try that and let us know what the position is after that.

renagade27

Original Poster

Thanks guys - got it sorted - had to use the disk that came with the laptop and do a factory restore which has done the job

I've left rep for those that helped
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047132
      2. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2240
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767346
      4. What would be HELL to you?2634

See more discussions