Groups

Techie help required please!

Hi

I just recently got the Vostron laptop that MikeT flagged up on New Years Day and my Netgear router arrived this afternoon.

Got it all set up, Dell can find the nework, Netgear is broadcasting, etc - but it still wont' connect.

I can't seem to get it to set up. I don't know what I am doing wrong - and I don't know if it is a Netgear problem, a Virgin cable problem a Dell problem or a silly person cannot set up a wireless network problem

Can any body give me some pointers please?

Thankyou thank you thank you

(PS SSID is correct, key is correct)

13 Comments

you prob need your wep key

Original Poster

Its not asking for any more keys

I set it up WPA PSK -

Original Poster

In the task tray, theres a little icon that looks like a bar chart, when I click it says "connect to" - gives me choice of netgear

Click on Netgear brings up a green signal bar, says is alredy configured and asks for WPA-PSK key

When this is entered I click connect and it takes me to aother screen which says "choose a wireless network" and there is nothing in there

It says Windows cannot configure this wireless connection

I have never used a wireless device in my life, so I could have done something really silly somwhere, but all the foggiest idea what

Hi,

WPA PSK should be using a passphrase rather than a key.

Generally the Access Point has the passphrase entered first followed by the clients connecting to it.

Do these definately match?

A useful guide for setting up a Wireless LAN with Encryption I have directed others to can be find below:

wi-fiplanet.com/tut…826

Hope this helps,

Hi,

That normally means that you have some 3rd party software set as your default Wireless configuration software.

In the properties of the connection you can change this to use Windows as the default Wireless configuration software.

Generally Wireless is not that hard to configure. If you click the icon on the bottom right (Wireless Connection) and choose Windows as your default configuration software it should be a case of just choosing your network and inputting the passphrase.

Sometimes dependant on the modem/router you may need to allow the PC/Laptop to connect to your network on an individual basis.

Cheers

goss.man;1435089

Hi,That normally means that you have some 3rd party software set as your … Hi,That normally means that you have some 3rd party software set as your default Wireless configuration software.In the properties of the connection you can change this to use Windows as the default Wireless configuration software.Generally Wireless is not that hard to configure. If you click the icon on the bottom right (Wireless Connection) and choose Windows as your default configuration software it should be a case of just choosing your network and inputting the passphrase.Sometimes dependant on the modem/router you may need to allow the PC/Laptop to connect to your network on an individual basis.Cheers

Where did my other post go? :thinking:

Original Poster

Sorry, still don't understand what to do.

I can't find anywhere that allows me to choose windows as defualt config software

It does allow me to choose my network and enter the password key -

When you say connet on an individual basis, do you mean connec the laptop directly to the router via the ethernet, like I did when I just set the router up to the desktop?

Original Poster

okay, i just found out that dell utility was managing - unticked the box, and now it allowed me to set windows to manage the the configuration software.

I now have a window that I haven't seen before and it has found the network - just trying to connect it now - although not a lot happening at the moment

Original Poster

Okay, windows can't connect to it either - so maybe its the router or virgin - windows is trying to repair the connect but it could not connect.

Here is the window you should be seeing if you are doing it through Windows:

2shared.com/fil…tml

On the above screen if you highlight your network in the bottom half of the window and press the properties button you should get the following:

2shared.com/fil…tml

Put in your specific details and save it.

Next time you connect it should hopefully work ok.

Original Poster

I logged into Netgear as you suggestion told me that it wasn't the laptop that it could be at Netgear end if niether the Dell or Windows could connect.

Not quite sure what I had done wrong - I had WPA2-PSK on the settings on Netgear, and only WPA-PSK on the Dell (I changed back to Dell utility to manage settings as I recalled that told me that information)

I retyped the password, and now it has connected. YAY

The password was correct, but I had got acces control and nothing was in the list

I have unticked it - laptop connected - when I reticked it, the Dell was there. I assume this can stop other poeple connecting to my router>

Anyway, I appear to still ahve a connection,,,,, lets just see if it is any good when I go back downstairs with the laptop, and it is no longer sitting right next to the sender.....

Thanks for your assistance!

Original Poster

Oh, ahd thanks for that screenshot, goss.man, I will check that out if I have any more problems

No problem,

Happy Surfing!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?712
      2. Are these two things distinctly different to you?1721
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764394
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846242

See more discussions