Groups

TECHIE QUESTION...Please advise

Hi there everyone, as per usual when I need something answering I head to you guys as I usually get a straight forward uncomplicated answer, which I thank you for:thumbsup:

I have a laptop, which i'm sure the backlight is about to go, the battery is also dead and I can only really run it from power.

However I have a couple of programs on there that I would need to reinstall on a new laptop and I dont have the expertise to do this...namely Goldmine and the company I contract to dont have either, without paying for them.

I had a goldmine guy but he left. I have the software still and a valid license so I dont have any problems there.

Can I.....

Take the hardrive out of the old laptop and use this with a new laptop, perhaps in an enclosure, gives me additional space and doesnt interfere with the new hardrive (dual boot??) and if so what are the issues

Can I take a copy of the hardrive and place on a new one, (however I'm assuming this will also copy the OS which is likely to be vista on my new laptop as opposed to XP on my old one

I need to make the cheapest and easiest option as I contract only to this company and dont wish to spend any of my own money unless neccessary.

Or thirdly.....

I have a version of the same goldmine on a dual boot MAC, however the database is likely to be 12 months out of date, if I sync this using a spare license we have, will this overwrite the original database on the server, or overwrite the copy on the MAC? and if it does overwrite the server how easy is it to use the backup copy?

(appreciate I can use a goldmine forum, but sometimes I find answer over complicated and I dont understand) but would appreciate your comments..

Any ideas on the best way to do this

:friends: Couldnt find a hug...appreciate an thoughts on this THANKS!!!!

5 Comments

Yes you 'should' be able to put your old hard drive in your new laptop. You will need to probably repair the windows installation though for it to work correctly with the new hardware.

Original Poster

Thanks "Thedoc" for your speedy response, do you think subject to the right config, that I could use the old hardrive as a seperate hardrive, I have an external hardrive working on my main PC in an enclosure?

but I only use this as storage, which I suppose is somewhat different to using an external hardrive for using the software?

tlck9

Thanks "Thedoc" for your speedy response, do you think subject to the … Thanks "Thedoc" for your speedy response, do you think subject to the right config, that I could use the old hardrive as a seperate hardrive, I have an external hardrive working on my main PC in an enclosure? but I only use this as storage, which I suppose is somewhat different to using an external hardrive for using the software?

I don't see why not mate... You'd have to check but most newer pc's will boot from usb.

Here's what "I" would do:

buy new laptop, then buy a USB laptop drive enclosure (similar to this: amazon.co.uk/Sil…DU8)

Put your old HDD in it and plug it in the USB slot, then you can work from it or copy the files across that you need.

Alternatively you could make an image of the old HDD and then install the image as a second boot partition on the new laptop (would require a good deal of messing and the purchase of some good imagining software like acronis true image).

This way you could have 2 systems on your new laptop, one you use Vista, the other is your old XP.

Original Poster

dmccabe

Here's what "I" would do:buy new laptop, then buy a USB laptop drive … Here's what "I" would do:buy new laptop, then buy a USB laptop drive enclosure (similar to this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silver-Hard-Disk-Case-Enclosure/dp/B000JG9DU8)Put your old HDD in it and plug it in the USB slot, then you can work from it or copy the files across that you need..

I like this idea, one question as i havent tried this before...can I run software from the old HDD via the usb, or would I have to install on the new laptop and just copy the folders/database across?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73944522
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would1324
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047141
      4. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…2869

See more discussions