Groups

tefal health fryer nonstick coming off

So this is about the health fryer that was on for £49 at black friday from tecso.

I have used it 2 times and washed it twice...the non stick coating is coming off from multiple points.. within another 5 uses I'd say the coating would be completely useless in the places it's needed.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I am going to try return it as I don't think it's fit for use, will i succeed?

17 Comments

Of course you need to return it, it is not fit for purpose.

Part of the issue is that the original formula for Teflon was found to be rather dangerous for the people making the stuff, so it had to be changed a few years ago; the new formulations are nowhere near as good, and I have had numerous pans where it has fallen off after high heat use

Oh great, that's the one I got in the sale too. Haven't used it yet though, not sue I'll bother now, might just return it for a refund and go to the chippy instead!

wouldn't use it anymore as the coating is toxic and bad for your health.

Original Poster

Thanks guys, I just wondered, as i'd used it if I was still able to return

@Shywallflower ye just return it. I also ordered another one into store for my inlaws, and will just tell them to not bother with that

as long as you have not used any from of scratchy on it

roba1st

as long as you have not used any from of scratchy on it

We had a fairly expensive Tefal frying pan, the non stick was coming off within days, even though we only use wooden and soft plastic spatulas; initially, we thought it was our Induction cooker getting it too hot, but the replacement went the same way - but took a little bit longer.
    Ditto a Ken Hom wok, the non-stick burnt off the first time we used it; took it back and upgraded to a "Professional" model, and it was OK (but not perfect).

The only non stick we have found that takes the heat of an induction hob is the Ceramic Pro range from Lidl/Aldi; not a mark on them after a year of use.

Original Poster

nice, I'll be getting some aldi non stick pans. over the next year.

we are buying bits for our house next year already... picked up a set induction hob for 150£ a month ago, so will need this info and them pans. thanks

also, returned the fryer no problem. will look into the more tried and tested ones as I did like the cooking of it so will want a different type

Have u used frylight spray on it for cooking x

Original Poster

Aaronsmummy

Have u used frylight spray on it for cooking x

Yes I did, I put on a couple of sprays to get the coating more crispy. I didn't have an oil brush, so used a spray.

Don't tell me that damages non-stick coating

Dangerous for people making the pans in what way? isnt it more dangerous if it kills there customers or if we eat the stuff? Seems like health and safety people are slowly causing the end of the world. Next they will make nuclear reactors out of cheese because someone might lick the walls.

No problem banning stuff if its dangerous but maybe wait until theres a working alternative.

fishleg

Dangerous for people making the pans in what way? isnt it more dangerous … Dangerous for people making the pans in what way? isnt it more dangerous if it kills there customers or if we eat the stuff? Seems like health and safety people are slowly causing the end of the world. Next they will make nuclear reactors out of cheese because someone might lick the walls.No problem banning stuff if its dangerous but maybe wait until theres a working alternative.

The stuff is toxic and was killing the factory workers, the effects were a bit like asbestos, it took years before the problems became noticeable and when they did, the companies making the stuff were forced to change the formula.

sunil237

nice, I'll be getting some aldi non stick pans. over the next year.we are … nice, I'll be getting some aldi non stick pans. over the next year.we are buying bits for our house next year already... picked up a set induction hob for 150£ a month ago, so will need this info and them pans. thanks

Make sure you get the "Pro" non stick, the ones we have are black with white speckles; the normal non stick is just as dodgy as the Tefal - ditto the normal Lidl/Adli ceramic non stick, neither survived our Induction hob.

When new, season the pans the same way you would a frying pan with no coating, or at high heat things will still stick; they seem to improve with age, hardly anything sticks now.

sunil237

Yes I did, I put on a couple of sprays to get the coating more crispy. I … Yes I did, I put on a couple of sprays to get the coating more crispy. I didn't have an oil brush, so used a spray.Don't tell me that damages non-stick coating

sunil237

Yes I did, I put on a couple of sprays to get the coating more crispy. I … Yes I did, I put on a couple of sprays to get the coating more crispy. I didn't have an oil brush, so used a spray.Don't tell me that damages non-stick coating

I do slimming world and there has been a lot of people saying it's wrecking their non stick pans including actifry x

Original Poster

Aaronsmummy

I do slimming world and there has been a lot of people saying it's … I do slimming world and there has been a lot of people saying it's wrecking their non stick pans including actifry x

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind now. I think I only used it once on the chicken I did though, so wouldn't expect it to affect it from one use, really just think it's a poor non-stick

I'm not a fan of anything from Tefal with the exception of the Actifry. I've owned 2 or 3 over the years and the pan does not have the Tefal non-stick used on their pans and Health fryer. It doesn't come off at all and appears to be more ceramic-like. So if you're looking for a replacement, I can highly recommend the Actifry and you won't get the same issues with the non-stick.

Imho non stick isn't worth the money anymore, you're better off with stainless steel & putting elbow grease behind a scourer or a high temp wash in your dishwasher.

The best non stick pan I've bought recently (just the one the rest are steel) was a relatively cheap bonus brand

Rich44

Imho non stick isn't worth the money anymore, you're better off with … Imho non stick isn't worth the money anymore, you're better off with stainless steel & putting elbow grease behind a scourer or a high temp wash in your dishwasher. The best non stick pan I've bought recently (just the one the rest are steel) was a relatively cheap bonus brand

No elbow grease required any more on stainless steel pans. Use either a damp 'Magic Sponge' or soak overnight in some white vinegar.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1525
      2. Important info for Ryanair customers1825
      3. love affairs1548
      4. word association Game73944491

See more discussions