Telegram app

Posted 19th Sep 2022
Anyone use this app and can comment on whether they sell your phone number to third party? I want to download the app to my phone but it asks for my phone number to register and I am a bit concerned I will end up with lots of spam and scam calls.

Anyone got this app and can comment on this?
Community Updates
New Comment

22 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Mendoza
    I’ve been using it for years, but in the past couple of months, I keep getting added to random groups, but I don’t hang around, I just report & leave
    Yas_Min
    You can block non friends adding you to places
    solid
    Telegram ( and Signal) a well established apps, been around for years and as secure as they get.

No need to worry.
    Sc4mp0
    I use Telegram, it's a secure messaging app.

I believe at one point it was also app of choice for ISIS its that secure.
    rufnek2kx
    Well if its good enough for isis.....
    chrb
    It is fine I have used for years
    Whoohoo
    Never had any issues. Signal is decent too
    Anonymous User
    You can get ppl adding you to random groups if you explore the group aspect of it, other than that it's hassle free and worth it over WhatsApp.
    mutley1 Author
    thanks guys. i just worry about spam as people are selling your phone number left, right and centre these days. so good to hear that they are reliable and not fishing for numbers
    mutley1 Author
    I can't seem to hide my online status. I have set the last seen and online to nobody, but I can still see other people's online status and I see my status as online as well. Any way round this?

Also there doesn't seem to be a reply button, so you can quote a particular comment in the conversation in your reply. Googling seems to indicate that this is only available when you are in group chat, and not individual chat. Is this correct? (edited)
    Yas_Min
    I'm not sure about that. There must be a place in settings.
    I ignore people for days or weeks on there anyway. I just say that I didn't get notified
    gravy_davey
    Love telegram genuinely surprised more don’t use it. Wish more did or Whatsapp should uses it as inspiration.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants