Groups

telescope for 6 year old

My 6 year old has asked Santa for a telescope - any recommendations?

I don't want anything too expensive incase it's a passing phase but at the same time don't want anything that is so poor it may put her off!

Help appreciated - thanks

7 Comments

what do they want a telescope for? Birding ones and stargazing are rather different? Also would you consider second hand? Some photography shops will have good second hand products and they'll be better value than new. Agood quality one will be used for longer and can be resold when no longer wanted..

Original Poster

It's for stargazing! - thanks

I'm an astro nut and despite what I would normally say, for a 6 year old I would recommend a toy telescope. This may be just a passing fad. Buy her something at £10 and judge her interest. You can always upgrade if she's keen on the subject and £10 isn't much to waste.

Even with a toy scope she'll be able to view the Moon and planets, Venus is pretty prominent after sunset atm and Jupiter is starting to show. Download Stellarium to find out where they are in the sky but they aren't hard to spot. The ISS is also viewable at certain times and there is a lot to see even with a toy scope.

A 6 year old is still too young imo, you'll probably find she'll just chuck it in the corner after a quick look.

Warn her about the Sun though, even a toy scope could blind her and start a fire if left outside. I can't stress this enough.

Original Poster

GlentoranMark

I'm an astro nut and despite what I would normally say, for a 6 year old … I'm an astro nut and despite what I would normally say, for a 6 year old I would recommend a toy telescope. This may be just a passing fad. Buy her something at £10 and judge her interest. You can always upgrade if she's keen on the subject and £10 isn't much to waste.Even with a toy scope she'll be able to view the Moon and planets, Venus is pretty prominent after sunset atm and Jupiter is starting to show. Download Stellarium to find out where they are in the sky but they aren't hard to spot. The ISS is also viewable at certain times and there is a lot to see even with a toy scope.A 6 year old is still too young imo, you'll probably find she'll just chuck it in the corner after a quick look.Warn her about the Sun though, even a toy scope could blind her and start a fire if left outside. I can't stress this enough.

Do you think this would be ok? theworks.co.uk/p/e…?es
    Edited by moderator: "link trim" 17th Dec 2016

Saw this in B&M the other day - £12.99. Possibly ok?
    bmstores.co.uk/sea…ope

Yes although if someone posted that as a deal on HUKD I'd be making my feelings known and have it chillier than an Ice Cude on the North Pole lol

There's no free delivery on that scope and you'll maybe find similar and cheaper elsewhere, I'd shop around for a similar deal. If she were 10+ I'd go for something bigger but a 6 YO will probably play with the box quicker.

Tell me how she gets on.

mattaksgal

Do you think this would be ok? … Do you think this would be ok? http://www.theworks.co.uk/p/educational-toys/star-gazer-telescope/5015934876855?es

philajones

Saw this in B&M the other day - £12.99. Possibly … Saw this in B&M the other day - £12.99. Possibly ok?http://www.bmstores.co.uk/search?q=telescope

Nice find, I'd buy something cheap that looks good.

Normally I'd be dead against these scopes and for an older child I'd be putting people off buying them but for a 6 year old it's just something that looks like a telescope that they want.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Does the app aznog still work?22
      2. Best Custom ROM for XIaomi Redmi Note 233
      3. Virgin Media TV67
      4. Samsung 4k TVs which one 49/55inch curved? £1.50023
      5. Do you use a case on your iPhone?1313

See more discussions