Groups

Telescope for beginner

I have noticed in the past different deals on telescopes. I was wondering if anyone could help to advise on a decent telescope for beginners?? I know they come in at various prices but something thats good to start off with that won't break the bank.

5 Comments

depends what you using it for. to gaze at stars or perv on your neighbours?

Until you get used to the Sky at Night and the maths/geometry involved, I would go for a PC based system The Meade ETX80 comes in about £250 but is Plug and Play. Failing that you could load Stellarium to your PC and then go for a more manual set-up later.
    stellarium.org/en_GB/

I have an cheap old 200 power Tasco in the loft if you are near West Sussex, and you can have it. It's a bit fiddley.
    Edited by: "getmeone" 7th May

Binoculars first to learn the general layout of the night sky.
    Then depends what floats your boat.

Dobsonian - simple base so more money spent on optical tube are usually a good recommendation.
    They keep it simple and make you learn where everything is - though can be offputting trying to find things manually.

Goto systems can be had for around £200 secondhand (eg Skymax 127) but you also need a power tank (say £60). to power it. These make it easy to slew to targets that you might find difficult to find manually as a beginner.

You will probably want to replace the stock eyepieces with something better.
    The 8/9/10mm eyepieces supplied (depending on make of telescope) are usually poor.
    The lower magnification eyepiece (20-30mm) is usually okish.

Skywatcher/celestron brands are good.

Stargazerslounge.com has a beginners section where there's plenty of discussion

Edited by: "cootuk2" 7th May

Original Poster

getmeone

Until you get used to the Sky at Night and the maths/geometry involved, I … Until you get used to the Sky at Night and the maths/geometry involved, I would go for a PC based system The Meade ETX80 comes in about £250 but is Plug and Play. Failing that you could load Stellarium to your PC and then go for a more manual set-up later.http://www.stellarium.org/en_GB/I have an cheap old 200 power Tasco in the loft if you are near West Sussex, and you can have it. It's a bit fiddley.

Thank you so much for the offer but I'm Lancashire. I'll have a look on that site though

Original Poster

cootuk2

Binoculars first to learn the general layout of the night sky.Then … Binoculars first to learn the general layout of the night sky.Then depends what floats your boat.Dobsonian - simple base so more money spent on optical tube are usually a good recommendation.They keep it simple and make you learn where everything is - though can be offputting trying to find things manually.Goto systems can be had for around £200 secondhand (eg Skymax 127) but you also need a power tank (say £60). to power it. These make it easy to slew to targets that you might find difficult to find manually as a beginner.You will probably want to replace the stock eyepieces with something better.The 8/9/10mm eyepieces supplied (depending on make of telescope) are usually poor.The lower magnification eyepiece (20-30mm) is usually okish.Skywatcher/celestron brands are good.Stargazerslounge.com has a beginners section where there's plenty of discussion

Wow there's a lot to take in isn't there. I honestly didn't think about binoculars to start with (sounds stupid now I'm thinking about it )
    There was a geertop one on amazon down to £52 I was thinking it was too cheap but had plenty of good reviews.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. EasyJet flights for summer 2018 (up until 2nd Sept 2018) will be released o…56
      2. word association Game73844454
      3. Royal Mil track and trace33
      4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553761

See more discussions