Groups

Teletext closing down

Found out why Teletext is closing down.

Does this mean all Teletexts inc. Sky's will end on the Digital/Freeview or just analogue services?

And, is digital Ceefax on the BBC going to end aswell?

Sorry if already posted. Searched but couldn't find anything.

11 Comments

Still in n.ireland until xmas 2012

It's only Teletext ((ITV, C4 etc) that's closing down, Ceefax (BBC) will continue until the digital switchover.

Some parts of it will continue, the horse racing on C4 and teletext holidays on Freeview.

See Teletext on page 139 on ITV and 549 on C4 for more details

Original Poster

It's only Teletext ((ITV, C4 etc) that's closing down, Ceefax (BBC) will … It's only Teletext ((ITV, C4 etc) that's closing down, Ceefax (BBC) will continue until the digital switchover.Some parts of it will continue, the horse racing on C4 and teletext holidays on Freeview.See Teletext on page 139 on ITV and 549 on C4 for more details

Thanks! So BBC Ceefax on the Digial Red Button is going to finish eventually as well?

Want to share with us as to why it's closing down?

Teletext closing news service early
    Updated on 16 July 2009
    Source PA News

Teletext's news and information service is to come to an end in January next year - two years ahead of schedule - the service's owner said.

Associated Newspapers, a division of Daily Mail and General Trust (DMGT), said it had decided to close its loss-making analogue Teletext service early as a result of "current economic conditions".

The group, which had intended to shut the service in 2012, said the closure decision followed indications from regulator Ofcom that it would not back state intervention to support the continuation of a public commercial Teletext service after 2014.

channel4.com/new…762

So does this mean Digital text is staying and only analogue is switched off? Not awake yet!

elfself;7136948

Thanks! So BBC Ceefax on the Digial Red Button is going to finish … Thanks! So BBC Ceefax on the Digial Red Button is going to finish eventually as well? So does this mean Digital text is staying and only analogue is switched off? Not awake yet!

The BBC Digital red button will continue as normal even after the switchover.

The ITV services, analogue and digital apart from the ones mentioned above will stop.

Taken from page 139 on Teletext

The Teletext Extra news service on Freeview ends on December 9.Teletext … The Teletext Extra news service on Freeview ends on December 9.Teletext on ITV and C4 on Sky closes on Dec 14.Other services end Dec 15:Teletext on ITV, C5 and C4 analogueTeletext on ITV and C4 on FreeviewEditorial on Channel 986 on Freesat

Original Poster

The BBC Digital red button will continue as normal even after the … The BBC Digital red button will continue as normal even after the switchover.The ITV services, analogue and digital apart from the ones mentioned above will stop.Taken from page 139 on Teletext

Thanks. repped.

I remember the days before the web when I used to stare at the teletext for 90 minutes for latest scores!

oh what fun

Banned

it was good in it´s day though

I remember those wet afternoons planning holidays on the teletext

oh bliss

hassony;7137680

I remember the days before the web when I used to stare at the teletext … I remember the days before the web when I used to stare at the teletext for 90 minutes for latest scores!oh what fun

Thats a blast from the past - how many games did I watch on teletext...:oops:

Flodd;7137922

Thats a blast from the past - how many games did I watch on … Thats a blast from the past - how many games did I watch on teletext...:oops:

not to forget the club call hotlines on ITV

"Italian ace in secret talks with Reds"
    "Norway star Agrees terms"

Games Central was saved!!

And people thought it was futile when i posted a 'Save Game Central' petition on here!!

Flodd;7137922

Thats a blast from the past - how many games did I watch on … Thats a blast from the past - how many games did I watch on teletext...:oops:

lol me too! lookin back it was a pretty bad waste of a saturday afternoon eh?!
    Now i stare at Sky Sports news all day watching Stelling and co instead!!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4141837
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846341
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764645
      4. Sonos says let us spy or your stereo will not work44

See more discussions