Groups

Television Replacement by Insurance Co

Hi
    For any TV Techies out there!

My Sony KD49X8305 got a green line down the screen just outside the guarantee period. Lukily I've got it insured.
    As a like for like (allegedly) replacement they have offered me, a choice of these:

Panasonic TX50DX700B
    Panasonic TX49DX600B
    Sony KDL 49WD756

Are any of these the equivalent or better than my original TV, if so should I accept or hold out for a better match to my original.
    Are there any TVs out there which would be a real like for like?

Thanks
    yours confused and struggling
    mango

17 Comments

the insurance company will replace the TV like for like. I. e. the screen size, the number of hdmi ports. sometimes it hard to pin point a exact replacement as not all TV's will be the same. so a bigger TV may have less hdmi ports but they can't offer something that is less in size.

Hope this makes sense

Panasonic TX49DX600B absolutely not
    Sony KDL 49WD756 decent 1080p, but yours was 4k, so no
    Panasonic TX50DX700B is a small amount better than your TV, so I would bite their hand off.

But why can't they give you what you have already got, it's still for sale? But that's beside the point I would rather have the 700b than your TV.

Edited by: "MIDURIX" 10th Jan

When you say insured, do you mean an extended warranty?
    When my 4 year old Samsung bricked up I contacted Samsung and despite the usual stated 2 year warranty they actually gave me money back no quibble.Not the cost of the telly mind as I'd had it 4 years but half its purchase cost.

You actually have a consumer right that can argue a tv should last on average 50, 000 hours roughly 5 years.

You could try asking the company for the money instead, that way you can choose your own tv .

Original Poster

Wow, thanks everyone for your really speedy responses.
    Sounds like the 700B's the one then.

The insurance is with Domestic & General. as I have other household appliances covered them too so was about £120 for 6 years cover. It's not an extended warranty I think.
    Thanks everyone but any further opinions are welcome!

Yours less confused.
    mango

Banned

buy another Sony.

MIDURIX

Panasonic TX49DX600B absolutely notSony KDL 49WD756 decent 1080p, but … Panasonic TX49DX600B absolutely notSony KDL 49WD756 decent 1080p, but yours was 4k, so noPanasonic TX50DX700B is a small amount better than your TV, so I would bite their hand off.But why can't they give you what you have already got, it's still for sale? But that's beside the point I would rather have the 700b than your TV.

What he said. From the list it's the 700

You don't give the complete model number, it's missing a letter on the end. As far as I know they've only used X83 last year and this year and they changed the model number characters around this year so I guess it's a KD-49X8305C.

That was one model up from the bottom in Sony's X-series of Android Smart TVs. This year's equivalent would probably be either the X83 (for dual tuners), XD80 (second model up) or XD70 (non-HDR like the X83C).

The WD75 you've been offered is definitely a downgrade with quite a few missing features compared with yours (no Android TV etc.)

The DX600 is Panasonic's equivalent to the Sony XD70. A non-HDR 4K TV. A reasonable offer as a replacement, but it's a fairly middling TV with most of it's competitors being better.

The DX700 is a good offer and the best of the three TVs, although it's worth pointing out that the off-angle picture degradation is much more severe than on your current TV so it may not be the optimal choice if you need wide viewing angles.
    Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 10th Jan

As rhinopaul said, your consumer rights allow you to argue the fact a TV should last longer than "just outside the warranty period"
    Get in contact with Sony and tell them the situation (be polite) and they might side with you and repair/replace it, or at least offer a discount on a new model.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone and especially Endless.
    You're right, it is the X8305C.
    They seem to be insisting that they can only give me ones their specific supplier has, RGDIRECT.
    They've said if I want a better one I may have to pay an upgrade charge but haven't said how much this would be.

So it may worth asking for something a bit better than the 700B and either arguing that their offers are not equivalent and making a complaint, else seeing how much the upgrade charge might be?

Any suggestions for something equivalent else even slightly better?

Thanks so much already!
    mango

Original Poster

RE Consumer Act rights, I bought the TV at an auction (not ebay, a proper auction house). When I bought it over a year ago, I contacted Sony to have the remaining guarantee made over to me, but they refused. So got it insured instead just in case!

Thanks for the helpful advice though.
    Cheers
    mango

mango_leeds

Thanks everyone and especially Endless.You're right, it is the … Thanks everyone and especially Endless.You're right, it is the X8305C.They seem to be insisting that they can only give me ones their specific supplier has, RGDIRECT. They've said if I want a better one I may have to pay an upgrade charge but haven't said how much this would be.

Do you mean RGBDirect?

There's no obvious single equivalent, it depends on what criteria you use. If you require any specific features then you definitely want to make sure you get that as stuff like twin tuners for PVR use or bluetooth audio support is far from universal.

Without knowing what your insurance policy actually states it's hard to tell the quality of the deal you're getting.

Generally speaking though, the feature equivalent TVs with flat, 4K, non-HDR would be:
    Sony XD70
    Panasonic DX600
    Philips PUS6501/PUS6551/PUS6561
    LG UH750
    Samsung KU6000/KU6020

In terms of range equivalence I guess you'd be looking at:
    Sony XD80 & XD83
    Panasonic DX700
    Philips PUS6501/PUS6551/PUS6561 (again)
    LG UH770V & UH850V
    Samsung KU6400/KU6470

The next models above that like the Panasonic DX750, Samsung KS7000 and Philips 7101/7181 are another £150-200. Sony and LG's next models up are only available in 55" and larger.

Original Poster

Hi Endless
    Yes sorry I do mean RGB Direct.
    They said the would only do same or similar comparing
    screen size
    whether flat or not
    Aspect
    Whether smart
    WiFi
    HDR
    HD
    Resolution
    Tuner
    Refresh rate.

I'll check the policy tomorrow.

Thanks for all your work on the recommendations. I'll need to do a comparable table on features and check out the Which reviews too, and hopefully come to a decision.

Thanks again
    mango

Original Poster

I could always ask for one of the better models you suggest and see what the 'upgrade' costs, since I only paid £225 for the original Sony I bought from auction.

Thanks again
    mango
    Edited by: "mango_leeds" 10th Jan

mango_leeds

They said the would only do same or similar comparingscreen sizewhether … They said the would only do same or similar comparingscreen sizewhether flat or notAspectWhether smartWiFiHDRHDResolutionTunerRefresh rate.

They're not going to get an exact match, There are no twin tuner, 120hz non-HDR TVs available among this years range.

I'd say the second list is probably a good compromise given those criteria. They do have the rudiments of HDR ability but are generally not twin tuner and only some of them are 100hz panels like your X83C.

mango_leeds

I could always ask for one of the better models you suggest and see what … I could always ask for one of the better models you suggest and see what the 'upgrade' costs, since I only paid £225 for the original Sony I bought from auction.Thanks againmango

I don't know how much money you have in mind, but popular models up to a grand more expensive at 49-55" would be:
    Samsung KS7000/KS8000 (£800-1200)
    LG EG910V (£1200)
    Sony XD93 (£1250)
    Panasonic DX902B (£1750)
    LG B6 (£1750)

Original Poster

Thanks Endless
    I'm not sure I could afford the upgrade on the very expensive ones. May be just a couple of hundred more maximum.

Thanks
    mango

Original Poster

I might just ask how much for your final list

The next models above that like the Panasonic DX750, Samsung KS7000 and Philips 7101/7181 are another £150-200.
    Thanks again
    mango
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Your favourite member of the Labour shadow cabinet is .....11
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767499
      3. Bearded chat1020
      4. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4691427

See more discussions