Template for a short term tenancy agreement contract?

Found 20th Jun 2008
Hi all,

A friend of mine is planning on renting out his house for a year or two and wants to draft up a tenancy agreement for residents.

I've found a PDF example document and a lot of "pay" sites for this kind of thing but nothing else. e.g. clickdocs.co.uk/sam…pdf

Would anyone have any tips / know anywhere for a good template other than the link above?

Any advice would be appreciated! Rep for anyone who helps out

Thanks

10 Comments

i read this as Teenage pregnancy agreement.

shud of gone to spec savers ehy

h m stationers website

One thing you could do is not grant a lease as that gives the tenant alot of legal protection. A "licence to occupy" is far more effective as it removes many of the tenants rights, including the right to exclusive use of the premises. It also does away with some of the tenant protection legislation. Not too hard to draft - staples do a generic make your own kit for around a tenner.

Banned

seancampbell;2354860

One thing you could do is not grant a lease as that gives the tenant alot … One thing you could do is not grant a lease as that gives the tenant alot of legal protection. A "licence to occupy" is far more effective as it removes many of the tenants rights, including the right to exclusive use of the premises. It also does away with some of the tenant protection legislation. Not too hard to draft - staples do a generic make your own kit for around a tenner.

Are you sure about that?
"licence to occupy" is listed under Sham tenancy agreements on ]this page

colinsunderland;2354935

Are you sure about that?"licence to occupy" is listed under Sham tenancy … Are you sure about that?"licence to occupy" is listed under Sham tenancy agreements on ]this page

I am indeed sure, you need to read it in context.

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, but not in Scotland, you may also … In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, but not in Scotland, you may also have signed an agreement stating that the property was granted under a licence to occupy. This is not enough to make the agreement a licence.

Merely stating that it is a licence doesn't make it so, you also need to make sure the terms of the licence do make sure it is one ie that they don't have a right to a fixed room within a residence merely any room. The certainties of equity need to be obscured for the court to consider a licence to be a licence not a tenancy. All that link is saying is that merely having a label of a licence does not make it so. It's not saying a licence is illegal or a sham.

You need to grant an Assured Shorthold tenancy for a period of 6 months. You can get cheap packs from WH Smith. This way you can get rid of tenants no problem. You canoot grant Licence unless u live in property as well.

I work in Housing so if you need any further info let me know.

Ive seen them for sale at my local PostOffice, I think they were cheap aswel.

don't most pre-printed rent books come with a copy on the back?, usually a couple of quid from what i remember

Supermod

All you need to do is draw up an "Assured short hold tenancy agreement".
If you can wait until tomorrow when I can get into the office I can get a form emailed to you that you need and if you need help filling it out let me know. Let me know before about 10am tomorrow (21st) if you can.
Post a comment
@
    Text