Temporary broadband.

Posted 20th Dec 2019
Hi, i have recently moved and I forgot to tell talk talk, I cannot get it installed until the 8th of Jan. is there anyway I can buy temporary internet for the house?. Thanks for any advice, greatly appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Yup.

You want something like a mifi device from a mobile network on a 30 day contract.

Have a look at Argos/Amazon

Or just hotspot from an old phone with a Smarty/Voxi Sim
360finder20/12/2019 07:45

Yup.You want something like a mifi device from a mobile network on a 30 …Yup.You want something like a mifi device from a mobile network on a 30 day contract.Have a look at Argos/AmazonOr just hotspot from an old phone with a Smarty/Voxi Sim

Yup, otherwise known as tethering from your phone. Not all phones can do this.
Or pop into your local mobile phone shop or Currys and get yourself a mifi which you should be able to share with others in the house.
Edited by: "tardytortoise" 20th Dec 2019
tardytortoise20/12/2019 07:52

Yup, otherwise known as tethering from your phone. Not all phones can do …Yup, otherwise known as tethering from your phone. Not all phones can do this.Or pop into your local mobile phone shop or Currys and get yourself a 4g dongle which you should be able to share with others in the house.

Deffo gonna have to be a pop in. Don't go to eBay cause it's not gonna be here before Christmas when I assume you will want the data for?

If you have a CeX local that could be a shout too. Can always hand it back in afterwards and only loose whatever you put on the PAYG SIM.
tardytortoise20/12/2019 07:52

Yup, otherwise known as tethering from your phone. Not all phones can do …Yup, otherwise known as tethering from your phone. Not all phones can do this.Or pop into your local mobile phone shop or Currys and get yourself a 4g dongle which you should be able to share with others in the house.

Or how about knocking on a few neighbours doors and asking if you can piggy back on theirs for a month?
Def look at tethering. Easy to do. Just check your data allowance, and maybe buy a 'bundle' if necessary.
See if there’s bt open zone hotspots and you can pay for that by the day week or month
Get a mifi from CEX
get three PAYG or Voxi with unlimited data for a month
Thank you all for your comments, kids are currently using my hotspot, but I need it for there TVs and xbox, would they be able too use the mifi for this?
Bargybee20/12/2019 16:22

Thank you all for your comments, kids are currently using my hotspot, but …Thank you all for your comments, kids are currently using my hotspot, but I need it for there TVs and xbox, would they be able too use the mifi for this?

Yeah just buy a little MiFi router and pop a 4G SIM in it with unlimited internet for 30 days and everyone in the house can use it. I did that when my internet was down last year.
Bargybee20/12/2019 16:22

Thank you all for your comments, kids are currently using my hotspot, but …Thank you all for your comments, kids are currently using my hotspot, but I need it for there TVs and xbox, would they be able too use the mifi for this?

It will work but you have to be realistic. Depending on you’re mobile tariff. You may run out of data quite quickly. Also things like game updates, may not down load if the devices identify mobile data connections. Which is no bad thing as they can be huge.
Gormond20/12/2019 16:45

Yeah just buy a little MiFi router and pop a 4G SIM in it with unlimited …Yeah just buy a little MiFi router and pop a 4G SIM in it with unlimited internet for 30 days and everyone in the house can use it. I did that when my internet was down last year.

That’s great thank you so much.
I’ve just been on phone to BT and because they are merging with EE, I can go in store and by a small hub and have free unlimited data whilst il wait for broadband to be installed.
Bargybee20/12/2019 17:57

I’ve just been on phone to BT and because they are merging with EE, I can g …I’ve just been on phone to BT and because they are merging with EE, I can go in store and by a small hub and have free unlimited data whilst il wait for broadband to be installed.

Great! Hope it all goes well. Just don't expect too much when it comes to speed but it shouldn't be too shabby.
Bargybee20/12/2019 17:57

I’ve just been on phone to BT and because they are merging with EE, I can g …I’ve just been on phone to BT and because they are merging with EE, I can go in store and by a small hub and have free unlimited data whilst il wait for broadband to be installed.

Result!

Wouldn't it be nice if they just let you have it for free all the time?

How much is the device though?

You should get decent speeds on EE too and Xbox updates are doable. Live gaming may lag a little. Streaming on a couple of devices at once should also be possible.
tardytortoise20/12/2019 08:50

Or how about knocking on a few neighbours doors and asking if you can …Or how about knocking on a few neighbours doors and asking if you can piggy back on theirs for a month?

I did this.. 3 years later still hooked up my tablet, laptop, xbox, phone, nowtv was only meant to be for a day
360finder20/12/2019 20:30

Result!Wouldn't it be nice if they just let you have it for free all the …Result!Wouldn't it be nice if they just let you have it for free all the time?How much is the device though?You should get decent speeds on EE too and Xbox updates are doable. Live gaming may lag a little. Streaming on a couple of devices at once should also be possible.

Not too sure how much, they said it’s not too much, I’m popping in there tomorrow il let u know.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions