Tenant rights for failing agreement to replace carpets

Found 16th Aug 2017
hi

we recently moved into a property. part of the terms was for the landlord to remove the carpets in the bathrooms (yes, rank!). we have this in writing via the preliminary payment receipt.

we go in and behold, it wasn't done.

what can we do? this was a deal breaker if it wasn't done. it's horrible. can we set a date, if it's not done, do it ourselves and deduct from the rent?
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
What did the landlord say when you asked him about the timeframe for a replacement after you moved in?
If it was a deal breaker, why did you not check it was done before you moved in? If you have moved in, you have kinda proved it isn't a deal breaker. I'm a landlord (lady) and what my tenant wants, they get. Fortunately we have a very positive live and let live agreement. That said, I'm not in it for the money, I just have an extra house. You obviously have an agreement, so if this is through an agent, go back to them. Carpet in a bathroom is gross. Getting a piece of lino and putting it down in a bathroom is a cheap and easy job. If you tell them you will do it for £50 off the rental they may be amenable. If not, there are two ways I see this going. If they can't maintain the property prior to you moving in, how do you know they will perform any repairs thereafter? Move out at the end of the lease. Other option is fight it but is it really worth it? Maybe just pull the carpet up and stick lino down. If you have an agreement this was meant to be done, they can hardly argue it has been done and charge you when the tenancy ends.
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 16th Aug 2017
I had the exact same agreement in place when planning to rent, however I checked the property on the day before moving in and it hadn't been done. We promptly pulled out and made the letting agent refund our deposit in full.

If you have it in writing and the landlord isn't responsive you can force them to do so, perhaps discuss with the agent (if one was used) about them funding it from the rent money before the landlord gets their hands on it.
I have a carpeted bathroom in my abode and don't see what's gross about it. We have a Pune and per catcher under the toilet and I dry myself before getting out the bath. Yes it's not exactly what should be in the bathroom but hardly unbearable.
666FU21 m ago

I have a carpeted bathroom in my abode and don't see what's gross about …I have a carpeted bathroom in my abode and don't see what's gross about it. We have a Pune and per catcher under the toilet and I dry myself before getting out the bath. Yes it's not exactly what should be in the bathroom but hardly unbearable.

Pi$$ sponges around the wc and a hold a plethora of germs ... rank! btw, how do you dry your feet if you are in bath,,they would surely drip if drying on the side?
Edited by: "Splodger101" 16th Aug 2017
My partner's sister lives in a house with a carpeted bathroom.

I really can't stand carpets in general. They get dirty and unsightly no matter how much you clean them.
Splodger10119 m ago

Pi$$ sponges around the wc and a hold a plethora of germs ... rank! btw, …Pi$$ sponges around the wc and a hold a plethora of germs ... rank! btw, how do you dry your feet if you are in bath,,they would surely drip if drying on the side?

Whilst the water is draining out of the bath I stand up and dry myself with a towel then I lift one foot and dry it and step out with that leg then I lift the other foot and dry it, not a drop of water touches the floor. What do you do just step out and let the water run onto the floor/ mat?
666FU4 m ago

Whilst the water is draining out of the bath I stand up and dry myself …Whilst the water is draining out of the bath I stand up and dry myself with a towel then I lift one foot and dry it and step out with that leg then I lift the other foot and dry it, not a drop of water touches the floor. What do you do just step out and let the water run onto the floor/ mat?

Yes, I just step out, its a tiled floor
666FU6 h, 11 m ago

I have a carpeted bathroom in my abode and don't see what's gross about …I have a carpeted bathroom in my abode and don't see what's gross about it. We have a Pune and per catcher under the toilet and I dry myself before getting out the bath. Yes it's not exactly what should be in the bathroom but hardly unbearable.

hearts225 h, 47 m ago

My partner's sister lives in a house with a carpeted bathroom.I really …My partner's sister lives in a house with a carpeted bathroom.I really can't stand carpets in general. They get dirty and unsightly no matter how much you clean them.

I too have a carpet in my bathroom and judging by comments here it seems i live in a smelly germ infested house. I don't know about you but my aim is pretty dam perfect and the lid goes down before i flush so no p!$$ stains any where i can tell you. And as for getting out of the shower, you should be clean anyway so my two clean feet that stand on the proper bath mat outside the shower absorbs the slight moisture off your feet and then you are done. Carpet fitters near me say they are growing in popularity and one guy i use says he does two or three a week now. Many top hotels have carpets in bathrooms for the luxury. Don't see the issue to be honest.
Never understand why people carpet a bathroom or toilet. I can only guess this may have been in fashion once upon a time before vinyl were invented!

Did you get time frame as someone had asked? Ask for it to be done and try to put pressure on but doing it yourself and claiming the money back will be difficult, create bad relationship. You need to give him reasonable time to deal with it.
ThePasty24 m ago

I too have a carpet in my bathroom and judging by comments here it seems i …I too have a carpet in my bathroom and judging by comments here it seems i live in a smelly germ infested house. I don't know about you but my aim is pretty dam perfect and the lid goes down before i flush so no p!$$ stains any where i can tell you. And as for getting out of the shower, you should be clean anyway so my two clean feet that stand on the proper bath mat outside the shower absorbs the slight moisture off your feet and then you are done. Carpet fitters near me say they are growing in popularity and one guy i use says he does two or three a week now. Many top hotels have carpets in bathrooms for the luxury. Don't see the issue to be honest.

Yes, my issue isn't with the pi$$ stains. I just think in a bathroom you could have leaks, flooding and so carpet should be a no no.
I hate carpets everywhere. I grew up in Italy and in Italy we don't use carpets but tiles. Easier to clean and maintain.
I realise carpets keep a house warmer but they look horrible once you start walking on them. They get dusty, full of hairs and stains. No matter how much you vacuum clean, they'll never be as clean as new.
Have you reminded the landlord that there was a requirement to lift the carpet?

What were they to replace it with?

They may have forgotten and will rectify the situation when you politely remind them?

If that produces no action from them, send them 3 quotes you've obtained from local carpet fitters for lifting the carpets and replacing with the agreed floor covering, advise them they have 28 days if they wish to rectify the situation or you will go ahead with the cheapest quote and deduct the fee from the following months rent.
Edited by: "andynicol" 16th Aug 2017
Original Poster
I guess it's because it was in writing. It was part of the deal sheet so we didn't think twice to double check. Considering it was 1 month away from the date of agreement.

In a let property, carpet in bathrooms is crazy. Fair enough if it's your own place and you take good care but when you're moving into to an already established carpet, it's totally different.

I'll wait until monday and if no response, I'll retrieve qoutes and deduct from rent. We book holiday from work to do all the moving prep and the thought of going through that again is appalling.
smellyonion22 m ago

I guess it's because it was in writing. It was part of the deal sheet so …I guess it's because it was in writing. It was part of the deal sheet so we didn't think twice to double check. Considering it was 1 month away from the date of agreement. In a let property, carpet in bathrooms is crazy. Fair enough if it's your own place and you take good care but when you're moving into to an already established carpet, it's totally different.I'll wait until monday and if no response, I'll retrieve qoutes and deduct from rent. We book holiday from work to do all the moving prep and the thought of going through that again is appalling.

If you go ahead and get the work done and deduct from rent without prior notification to the landlord this may compromise the tenancy agreement you have...?

Have you notified the landlord and given them opportunity to either respond and/or rectify the situation..?

If so, and they have failed to respond, I'd obtain 3 quotes from carpet fitters and send copies to the landlord, advising them they have 28 days to rectify the situation, then you will go ahead with the cheapest quote, and deduct from the following months rent.

But as a previous poster has stated, if the landlord has failed in a simple task for a new tenant, what does the future hold, on the other hand, it could be a very simple oversight with a multitude of reasons for it not getting done.
hearts226 h, 15 m ago

Yes, my issue isn't with the pi$$ stains. I just think in a bathroom you …Yes, my issue isn't with the pi$$ stains. I just think in a bathroom you could have leaks, flooding and so carpet should be a no no. I hate carpets everywhere. I grew up in Italy and in Italy we don't use carpets but tiles. Easier to clean and maintain. I realise carpets keep a house warmer but they look horrible once you start walking on them. They get dusty, full of hairs and stains. No matter how much you vacuum clean, they'll never be as clean as new.

Lol Funny you should mention leaks. I had a leak in the downstairs toilet whilst away and the carpet and underlay absorbed so much water i just picked it up and threw it out. If it was tiles/vinyl all that water would have flowed into the lounge and hallway carpets. Each to their own i suppose.
smellyonion18 h, 25 m ago

I guess it's because it was in writing. It was part of the deal sheet so …I guess it's because it was in writing. It was part of the deal sheet so we didn't think twice to double check. Considering it was 1 month away from the date of agreement. In a let property, carpet in bathrooms is crazy. Fair enough if it's your own place and you take good care but when you're moving into to an already established carpet, it's totally different.I'll wait until monday and if no response, I'll retrieve qoutes and deduct from rent. We book holiday from work to do all the moving prep and the thought of going through that again is appalling.

you can not deduct monies from rent. you have to recover the money from the landlord through other legal means. rent payments have to be done as per your contract. you will be in breach of contract if you don't pay your rent as agreed and this will affect your reference for the next place. this is why it is best to get the landlord to sort it out.
mutley12 h, 18 m ago

you can not deduct monies from rent. you have to recover the money from …you can not deduct monies from rent. you have to recover the money from the landlord through other legal means. rent payments have to be done as per your contract. you will be in breach of contract if you don't pay your rent as agreed and this will affect your reference for the next place. this is why it is best to get the landlord to sort it out.

Mostly I'd agree with you, but in this situation if the OP notifies the landlord that they plan to go ahead with a (very) slight home improvement which they have neglected to do, despite agreeing to, and gives them 28 days notice then they can't be held in breach of contract.

If the OP follows my advice, by sending the landlord 3 quotes I'd be very, very surprised if the landlord didn't undertake the works within the 28 day timeframe.

Most landlords have there own 'team' of trusted tradesman who they use regularly, they don't want to pay more for the tenant to arrange someone different.
andynicol4 h, 53 m ago

Mostly I'd agree with you, but in this situation if the OP notifies the …Mostly I'd agree with you, but in this situation if the OP notifies the landlord that they plan to go ahead with a (very) slight home improvement which they have neglected to do, despite agreeing to, and gives them 28 days notice then they can't be held in breach of contract.If the OP follows my advice, by sending the landlord 3 quotes I'd be very, very surprised if the landlord didn't undertake the works within the 28 day timeframe.Most landlords have there own 'team' of trusted tradesman who they use regularly, they don't want to pay more for the tenant to arrange someone different.

Getting new carpet requires no trades. Buy new carpet with fitting. The landlord will more than likely sort it out if the issue is raised. He is either no good or the agent added the clause without his knowledge. Not impossible that agents do this. They may also take a while to pass on the complaint on to the landlord. However, in this case, doing it yourself and deducting the rent in lieu is not going to end well and will cause friction with the landlord.

the matter needs to be raised and discussed as to a way forward. I will leave it there.
mutley120 h, 55 m ago

Getting new carpet requires no trades. Buy new carpet with fitting. The …Getting new carpet requires no trades. Buy new carpet with fitting. The landlord will more than likely sort it out if the issue is raised. He is either no good or the agent added the clause without his knowledge. Not impossible that agents do this. They may also take a while to pass on the complaint on to the landlord. However, in this case, doing it yourself and deducting the rent in lieu is not going to end well and will cause friction with the landlord.the matter needs to be raised and discussed as to a way forward. I will leave it there.

That new carpet that comes with fitting is fitted by....?
andynicol17 h, 15 m ago

That new carpet that comes with fitting is fitted by....?

the shop that sells the carpet. you don't need your own tradesman. it is cheaper to get the fitting done by the carpet shop than to employ a separate carpet fitter.
mutley12 h, 29 m ago

the shop that sells the carpet. you don't need your own tradesman. it is …the shop that sells the carpet. you don't need your own tradesman. it is cheaper to get the fitting done by the carpet shop than to employ a separate carpet fitter.

But the OP isn't getting a new carpet fitted...the OP hasn't actually stated what the new floor covering is to be, laminate, lino, tiles....?

Anyhow, you miss the point, you state you don't need a tradesman as a carpet would come fitted by the carpet shop, this carpet would be fitted by a carpet fitter (tradesman) ultimately the end user paying him as the price is added to the price of the carpet..

A landlord should be able to save a few pounds as they would have there own tradesman that they use regularly, thus only having to buy the floor covering only, not fitted.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants