Tenants Rights No Hot Water

Found 20th Jul 2011
Anyone keeping up to date with my recent posts will know I move house next month!

However I still live at my current address and we have just had our year gas test, due to the new HSE regulations stating all joints of the flue must be checked we now have 5 holes from the boiler cupboard though the hallway, through our bedroom to the outside.

Unfortunately when removing the plaster the gas engineer found leakage from the flue! So as now condemned the boiler and disconnected it,

The letting agency has been on the phone and said its going to be fixed and has had a plumber in to price it, but due to the changes in regulations mean the boiler is best suited somewhere else and my dad been a plumber I know this isn't going to be a quick process!

I was just wondering what my rights are having no boiler/hot water?
Community Updates
Misc
26 Comments
Boil a kettle ?
Depends what your contract says

But you've checked that already eh?
dimebars

Depends what your contract saysBut you've checked that already eh?

Yeah its a standard Letting Agency Contract written in riddles and links to other pieces of legislation.

The main jist of it is "To repay the tenant any reasonable cost incurred by the tenant to remedy the failure of the landlord to comply with his statutory obligations as stated in clause 26.3 above(Mentions water heating)"
feeder16

Yeah its a standard Letting Agency Contract written in riddles and links … Yeah its a standard Letting Agency Contract written in riddles and links to other pieces of legislation.The main jist of it is "To repay the tenant any reasonable cost incurred by the tenant to remedy the failure of the landlord to comply with his statutory obligations as stated in clause 26.3 above(Mentions water heating)"

In another section it states "if the premises are destroyed or made uninhabitable by fire or any other risk against the landlord has insured, rent will cease to be payable until the premises is reinstatedand rendered habitable"

Having googled this theres certain people that think having no hot water means its uninhabitable
Edited by: "feeder16" 20th Jul 2011
whatsThePoint

Installing a boiler anywhere is only going to take a couple of daysBy … Installing a boiler anywhere is only going to take a couple of daysBy your comment can i take it your dad is one of those plumbers who rips people off by saying its a day's job to change a tap washer

apologies you must of misunderstood me! They are having to relocated the boiler somewhere else within our apartment which is no small feat! This is due to the new Gas Regulations the HSE is putting into place. IMO plumbers are going to make a fortune from this in the future!

My dad is no rip if anything I keep telling him he needs to raise his prices because he is too honest and cheap! But thats off the point, Also I was trying to imply it would take a couple of days baring in mind no ones actually started work yet, they need to remove the existing pipework and flue which is in the ceiling! My theory is if they don't start today then its not going to be finished while next week due to weekends etc!

Point been how do they expect me live without hot water i.e. for showering and central heating

feeder16

Apologises you must of misunderstood me! They are having to relocated the … Apologises you must of misunderstood me! They are having to relocated the boiler somewhere else within our apartment which is no small feat! My dad is no rip if anything I keep telling him he needs to raise his prices because he is too honest and cheap! But thats off the point, Also I was trying to imply it would take a couple of days baring in mind no ones actually started work yet, they need to remove the existing pipework and flue which is in the ceiling! My theory is if they don't start today then its not going to be finished while next week due to weekends etc!Point been how do they expect me live without hot water i.e. for showering and central heating

It's summer........irrelevant of the temperature. Do you have any medical conditions ? If so the landlord could provide you with temp electric heaters

And as I said you can boil a kettle for washing
Im sure the letting agency will not let you have the house if there is no hot water, and if they do you need to negotiate with them the compensation for not having hot water and plumbers in while your living there.

its in the interest of the landlord and letting agency to get the work done quickly as they will not be getting the full amount so both parties suffer. Only you benefit from this.
Edited by: "Rupz" 20th Jul 2011
choc1969

It's summer........irrelevant of the temperature. Do you have any medical … It's summer........irrelevant of the temperature. Do you have any medical conditions ? If so the landlord could provide you with temp electric heatersAnd as I said you can boil a kettle for washing

I understand your point completely but we pay a lot of money for this place, way way over the odds, hence why we're moving! Why should I pay a fortune for something that doesn't work??
No hot water wouldn't be uninhabitable in my book. It's only temporary whilst they install a new one. It's summer and there is no need for central heating and you can still wash.

It's a temporary annoyance is all.
feeder16

I understand your point completely but we pay a lot of money for this … I understand your point completely but we pay a lot of money for this place, way way over the odds, hence why we're moving! Why should I pay a fortune for something that doesn't work??

Your landlord has already met his/her legal obligations and is fixing the problem. Maybe you could ask to get out of your contract early and vacate to a B&B until your new place is ready but I would live with this slight hiccup
feeder16

I understand your point completely but we pay a lot of money for this … I understand your point completely but we pay a lot of money for this place, way way over the odds, hence why we're moving! Why should I pay a fortune for something that doesn't work??

If it was to happen to me then i wouldn't ring my mortgage company and say i'm not paying at the moment as it's not working. Admittingly it would be up to me to replace it but you have to realise that these things happen. It was out of their control, it's not as if they are setting out to annoy you.

I was without hot water for a while whilst i had a new boiler and radiators replaced in the house last year. I have 3 young children and managed no problem.........i think you are just being a bit melodramatic imo.
Syzable

If it was to happen to me then i wouldn't ring my mortgage company and … If it was to happen to me then i wouldn't ring my mortgage company and say i'm not paying at the moment as it's not working. Admittingly it would be up to me to replace it but you have to realise that these things happen. It was out of their control, it's not as if they are setting out to annoy you.I was without hot water for a while whilst i had a new boiler and radiators replaced in the house last year. I have 3 young children and managed no problem.........i think you are just being a bit melodramatic imo.

I remember that smell
choc1969

Your landlord has already met his/her legal obligations and is fixing the … Your landlord has already met his/her legal obligations and is fixing the problem. Maybe you could ask to get out of your contract early and vacate to a B&B until your new place is ready but I would live with this slight hiccup

I can live with the hiccup but my missus can't she keeps going on about washing her hair and been clean etc

Also bare in mind the gas inspection which condemned the existing boiler, found that the emissions were leaking into our bedroom! and we currently have 5 holes in the ceiling and our wardrobes cupboards are covered in plaster.
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p12/Feeder16/Morrisons.jpg
feeder16

apologies you must of misunderstood me! They are having to relocated the … apologies you must of misunderstood me! They are having to relocated the boiler somewhere else within our apartment which is no small feat! This is due to the new Gas Regulations the HSE is putting into place. IMO plumbers are going to make a fortune from this in the future!My dad is no rip if anything I keep telling him he needs to raise his prices because he is too honest and cheap! But thats off the point, Also I was trying to imply it would take a couple of days baring in mind no ones actually started work yet, they need to remove the existing pipework and flue which is in the ceiling! My theory is if they don't start today then its not going to be finished while next week due to weekends etc!Point been how do they expect me live without hot water i.e. for showering and central heating

even relocating a boiler in an apartment is only a 2 day job
Where did 7 weeks come from?? oO

Anyway.......it's not a long job. I had a full boiler relocation, new flue, all new radiators (some in new locations) and work done to redecorate old positions done in a 4 bed house in 4 days.
Syzable

Where did 7 weeks come from?? oOAnyway.......it's not a long job. I had a … Where did 7 weeks come from?? oOAnyway.......it's not a long job. I had a full boiler relocation, new flue, all new radiators (some in new locations) and work done to redecorate old positions done in a 4 bed house in 4 days.

If everyone else is plucking figures out the air I thought I'd join in!

Anyways cheers Syzable! thats the sort of information I was expecting from this thread, not an indepth discussion on my dads plumbing
feeder16

If everyone else is plucking figures out the air I thought I'd join … If everyone else is plucking figures out the air I thought I'd join in!Anyways cheers Syzable! thats the sort of information I was expecting from this thread, not an indepth discussion on my dads plumbing

No probs, just to add that was 1 plumber on his own for the 1st 2 days who did the boiler work, new flue etc and then him and his mate on days 3 and 4 doing all the radiator and redecoration work.
My boiler was moved from downstairs to the bathroom upstairs and I had all new radiators too and that only took 6 hours last year.
feeder16

Anyways cheers Syzable! thats the sort of information I was expecting … Anyways cheers Syzable! thats the sort of information I was expecting from this thread, not an indepth discussion on my dads plumbing

That's not the way you came across in your OP. You stated

my dad been a plumber I know this isn't going to be a quick process!I was … my dad been a plumber I know this isn't going to be a quick process!I was just wondering what my rights are having no boiler/hot water?

The title of the thread also doesn't give the impression you were looking for a timeframe on the repair...
Edited by: "moob" 20th Jul 2011
feeder16

Anyways cheers Syzable! thats the sort of information I was expecting … Anyways cheers Syzable! thats the sort of information I was expecting from this thread, not an indepth discussion on my dads plumbing

my dad been a plumber I know this isn't going to be a quick process!I was … my dad been a plumber I know this isn't going to be a quick process!I was just wondering what my rights are having no boiler/hot water?

Its more helpful than slandering my Dad thats for sure (_;)
feeder16

Its more helpful than slandering my Dad thats for sure (_;)

Holy crap!

I bet you're one of these folk that look for uneven slabs on the pavement so can get compensation.
riiiiight so having the boiler condemned for leaking into our bedroom and the HSE been notified is the same as a uneven paving slab yeeeeeeee.

All I'm saying I pay quite a lot for this place and hot water should be provided as a given!
feeder16

riiiiight so having the boiler condemned for leaking into our bedroom and … riiiiight so having the boiler condemned for leaking into our bedroom and the HSE been notified is the same as a uneven paving slab yeeeeeeee. All I'm saying I pay quite a lot for this place and hot water should be provided as a given!

I was giving an analogy of the way you come across, not making a comparative.

If you lived in Scotland, your house would be considered to be under the Tolerable Standard - therefore subject to repair to bring it up to that Standard. England's housing law is far less prescriptive.
Subject to repair. Which is being arranged

Wind your neck in op and get on with it
dimebars

Subject to repair. Which is being arrangedWind your neck in op and get on … Subject to repair. Which is being arrangedWind your neck in op and get on with it

"Arranged" is such a loose word! The letting agent seems to have gone into hiding since yesterday!
I'd reckon 48-72 hours would be reasonable for a repair of this magnitude. Expecting it within the day is unreasonable.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants