Found 29th May 2010
Hi - a bit of advice on rights needed please.

I'm an tennant in a 3 bed house, been here about two years. Two weeks ago my landlord gave me 8 weeks notice to move on as he has decided to sell the house which is fair enough and 8 weeks seems pretty reasonable.
I've let Haart in to valuate the house, but wasn't sure whether the house was on the market or not as noone had told me either way.
Sooooo I got home from the shops today to find an estate agent in my house showing a family around and letting them sit of my bloody sofas to have a chat!!!!!!!!
Needless to say I was fuming and asked them to leave immediately as I had no idea the house was on the market or that they wanted to view the place. The estate agent prompty apologised to the prospective buyers about MY rudeness - I can't believe it and am very shocked - can they do this????? Don't I have tennant rights?????
Advice needed my blood pressure is through the roof!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
13 Comments

The Estate Agent should arrange a time in advance which is suitable for you, they have no right of access. You can refuse, but the landlord may get a little narked which may have consequences on moving out, deposits, etc. Best to keep a good relationship with your landlord, and have a complain about the estate agent to him/her.

MoneySavingG;8717834

The Estate Agent should arrange a time in advance which is suitable for … The Estate Agent should arrange a time in advance which is suitable for you, they have no right of access. You can refuse, but the landlord may get a little narked which may have consequences on moving out, deposits, etc. Best to keep a good relationship with your landlord, and have a complain about the estate agent to him/her.

this ^^^ just tell them that next time you would like a bit of notice, and that you were annoyed at the fact someone was in your home without your permission, and using your things, going in your bedroom etc (assuming it was an unfurnished flat and the stuff doesnt actually belong to the landlord)

[url]www.shelter.org.uk[/url]

Both the Landlord and the Estate Agents are guilty of least trespassing if not breaking and entering, under the law that property is your legal estate and noone is allowed to let themselves in without invitation.

Check Shelter, it will tell you the relevant info, any Landlord must give at least 24hours notice before coming and even then must have proper invitation to do so.

PS: Go to the police, make a statement, get a crime reference number.

Did you call your landlord about this? I would have been RAGING!!!!

In the last 2 months of your tenancy, the landlord/estate agent has a right to gain access to the property and show people round, however they must give you 24 hours written notice, but you must read your agreement as it might state something different, please be aware they could charge you if you don't allow access.

My estate agent said I would have to pay £524 if i didn't let them view the house, but they didn't give me enough notice, so i told them to swing for it, I was right, they were trying strong arm tactics.

Note: estate agents love you when you let of them but they can be really nasty when you leave.

You could, nicely, politely, contact the Estate Agents involved, inform of the relevant laws and that if it is found out to occur again you will call 999 as they are trespassing as the law dictates you must give notice.

Sounds like your Landlord and the Estate Agents know the law, but are just trying it on with you!

They will both well know that the Landlord must give at least 24hours notice.

What surprises me most is that the Landlord never allowed you to make a offer first. This would have saved both parties lots of money by a private sale, thats if you were interested. On top of this the Landlord would be very unlikely to sell the house within 2 months and could have came to an agreement with you rather than leaving the property unoccupied.

If possible you need to stay amerceable with all parties as you need possible references and the deposit back. The Landlord will also be doing the same, because if you decide to not move out, it will cost him a lot of time and money in having you removed. There's also a lot of possible problems that you could cause him that would delay or even halt the sale and reduce the asking price.

I have been told a story where the Landlord did something similar to this and was a real ______. Somehow squatters found a door unlocked after the tenant had moved out and the Landlord had taken possession!

:whistling:

KAC;8718331

The Landlord will also be doing the same, because if you decide to not … The Landlord will also be doing the same, because if you decide to not move out, it will cost him a lot of time and money in having you removed. There's also a lot of possible problems that you could cause him that would delay or even halt the sale and reduce the asking price.

Not true though is it? Providing the landlord has complied with all aspects of the tenancy agreement under landlord and tenant law, he can actually go to courts and get a same day injunction served for removal, oh and the costs go against the tenant. So costs nowt, and is quick.

The landlord has the right to 'reasonable' access to carry out repairs for which s/he is responsible, but s/he should always ask for the tenant's permission, and should give at least 24 hours' notice. This right to notice does not apply to licensees. If the landlord wants to enter the property for any other reason, for example, to show round a prospective purchaser, s/he can only do this with the tenant's agreement.

longster;8718951

Not true though is it? Providing the landlord has complied with all … Not true though is it? Providing the landlord has complied with all aspects of the tenancy agreement under landlord and tenant law, he can actually go to courts and get a same day injunction served for removal, oh and the costs go against the tenant. So costs nowt, and is quick.

I suppose the law has moved along from 10 or so years back when I last got involved with a problem like this. A old friend had DHS tenants in his spare flat, it took about 3 months to get them out, loads of mess and damage left, lots of expense also! Worse still was that he had the address marked as being a 'bad dept' and a noise problem!

Original Poster

wow thanks all - a lot to think about and do etc. Surprisingly I haven't been able to contact the landlord, he obviously knows he's in the wrong.
Haart Estate agent are also getting a written complaint for being so flaming rude!!!!
:-)

GemmaJayne;8720144

wow thanks all - a lot to think about and do etc. Surprisingly I haven't … wow thanks all - a lot to think about and do etc. Surprisingly I haven't been able to contact the landlord, he obviously knows he's in the wrong.Haart Estate agent are also getting a written complaint for being so flaming rude!!!!:-)

Far beyond rude, it's illegal, I wasn't joking about making statement to police and getting a crime number.

i would of gone off my trolley big time
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Will iPad 2 iOS update slows it down?33
    2. Whey protien633
    3. Home CCTV system advice.11
    4. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?710

See more discussions