Groups

Tennant not paying

Hi I have a tennant in my house who is going to miss one months rent or he may part pay it does anyone know where I stand re getting him out etc. I need the rent to pay my mortgage so need an income from other house.

28 Comments

use the deposit....thats the idea of a deposit!!!

If the tennant doesnt pay then you can use their deposit. then next month make em pay rent plus deposit again!.....if they cant then give em the boot

No pay, No stay

yep i agree use the deposit

well it will cost a hell of a lot more im time/money then a months rent/part rent thats for sure, is there a reason why he cant pay it, as you aint really gave much details

Abz;5948269

use the deposit....thats the idea of a deposit!!!If the tennant doesnt … use the deposit....thats the idea of a deposit!!!If the tennant doesnt pay then you can use their deposit. then next month make em pay rent plus deposit again!.....if they cant then give em the boot

Indeed, hopefully you took a deposit it from them.

Starr;5948280

Indeed, hopefully you took a deposit it from them.

If you havent taken a deposit from then or not enough to cover atleast a months rent...then your scrwd :oops:

Unless your tennant is trustworthy then he will pay you double next month

Original Poster

he's been sacked from work so were worried he can't pay due to getting himself sacked

Visit landlord zone website and get the right answers, as you could end up in a lot of trouble if the tenant is clued up about their rights. And they could take you to the cleaners.

Whatever you do do not use the deposit, in fact why have you got the deposit? its supposed to be held in some form of trust to protect both parties.

Banned

Perpita;5948311

he's been sacked from work so were worried he can't pay due to getting … he's been sacked from work so were worried he can't pay due to getting himself sacked

if he got himself sacked, then i doubt he'll even be able to claim benefits (not sure though).

Perpita;5948311

he's been sacked from work so were worried he can't pay due to getting … he's been sacked from work so were worried he can't pay due to getting himself sacked

but what does he work at would it be easy enough for him to pick up work quite quick?

Banned

Perpita;5948311

Ask him what he is going to do?
    Don't follow the stupid advice on here about using his deposit, not that you should be able to anyway as you shouldn't have it.
    Take legal advice, tenancies are a minefield if you don't know about them.

This thread just screams amateur landlord. Get proper advice asap, or you could end up losing a lot of money and hair with all the hassle.

Banned

DKLS;5948418

This thread just screams amateur landlord. Get proper advice asap, or you … This thread just screams amateur landlord. Get proper advice asap, or you could end up losing a lot of money and hair with all the hassle.

It sure does. "Getting him out" can take months and can be very costly, especially if he is now unemployed and not likely to be earning anything in the future.

Which Tennant is it - David or Neil?

Have you tried talking to your tenant?Is he a good tenant usualy?
    I think its harsh that he lost his job and you want to kick him out...

As a tenant myself if I was in this situation I would hope my landlord wouldnt kick me out, have you tried talking to him about it? If he has applied for benefits yet?

People sadly have these problems in life.

The job centre will more than likely give him job seekers but may take a few weeks and housing benefit takes longer. A close friend of mine went down this route a few months ago,

Banned

its a sad situation whereby you cant afford the mortgage without having a tenant

what kind of mortgage company would lend you the money these days on that basis?

you need to be thinking more long term - what if he wanted to move out and you were left without a tenant for say 6 months? my guess is the bank would be taing your house

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/71/David_Tennant.jpg/200px-David_Tennant.jpg

Crazy really as you'd think he'd have the money, I'd get a new tenant myself.

Banned

4lyons09;5948464

Have you tried talking to your tenant?Is he a good tenant usualy?I think … Have you tried talking to your tenant?Is he a good tenant usualy?I think its harsh that he lost his job and you want to kick him out...As a tenant myself if I was in this situation I would hope my landlord wouldnt kick me out, have you tried talking to him about it? If he has applied for benefits yet?People sadly have these problems in life.

OP said he got himself the sack so no sympathy here. And benefits wont be payable I believe if he got the sack.

csiman;5949269

OP said he got himself the sack so no sympathy here. And benefits wont be … OP said he got himself the sack so no sympathy here. And benefits wont be payable I believe if he got the sack.

A close friend of mine got sacked a few months back and managed to claim no problem.

colinsunderland;5948351

Ask him what he is going to do?Don't follow the stupid advice on here … Ask him what he is going to do?Don't follow the stupid advice on here about using his deposit, not that you should be able to anyway as you shouldn't have it.Take legal advice, tenancies are a minefield if you don't know about them.

DKLS;5948418

This thread just screams amateur landlord. Get proper advice asap, or you … This thread just screams amateur landlord. Get proper advice asap, or you could end up losing a lot of money and hair with all the hassle.

Agreed, the deposit should be in 3rd party posession. You really need to do your homework, otherwise if the tenant does, bye bye lots of money!

If you take a look at the LHA for your area it should tell you how much HB he will get, I believe that HB isn't affected in the same way JSA is by being sacked and that he would be entitled to claim HB. The rent was probably paid to you in advance so you will be covered surely for at least a month and given that he's stayed in touch with you and been honest I think you'll have a lot more problems to deal with if you try to get him out before you know the full facts.

Definately follow the advice already given and do a bit of homework, you sound like you need to.

Banned

OP out of interest, if you need the rent for th emortgage, what would you do if he needed a new heating system in, or the roof started leaking and needed repairs or something? How would you pay for that?

colinsunderland;5949537

OP out of interest, if you need the rent for th emortgage, what would you … OP out of interest, if you need the rent for th emortgage, what would you do if he needed a new heating system in, or the roof started leaking and needed repairs or something? How would you pay for that?

+1 :thumbsup:

Very true

Original Poster

I asked this question for a friend but said it was me to avoid long explanations but there are alot of landlords who use rental income to pay the mortgage so I don't think that's as big a problem as this thread has made it. If they needed anything replacin it wudnt be a problem as her OH works in building trade. The tenant doesn't know that they no he's lost his job as he hasn't informed them. I don't think he has been a model tenant but cudnt say for 100%. But thanx to all for your advice my friend thanx you and I thank you x x

Ask the tenant to go to the LHA and see if he's entitled to housing benefit. It may cover all or part of his rent.
    You can use the deposit if you have it lawfully to pay the rent, but I doubt that you still have it.

colinsunderland;5948351
    Ask him what he is going to do?
    Don't follow the stupid advice on here about using his deposit, not that you should be able to anyway as you shouldn't have it.
    Take legal advice, tenancies are a minefield if you don't know about them.

Lulu'sMammy;5949368
    Agreed, the deposit should be in 3rd party posession. You really need to do your homework, otherwise if the tenant does, bye bye lots of money!

DKLS;5948321

Whatever you do do not use the deposit, in fact why have you got the deposit? its supposed to be held in some form of trust to protect both parties.

When did the tenancy start?

NobbyB;5948458

Which Tennant is it - David or Neil?

I had to laugh, the landlord can't even spell "tenant".

Amateur BTL FTW :-D

Don't think there is a lot you can do at the moment, you can either give him his notice to vacate the property, if he doesnt do that then court im afraid (can take about 6 months), very difficult to get rid of tennents if they want to make your life difficult

Original Poster

grex9101;5952901

I had to laugh, the landlord can't even spell "tenant".Amateur BTL FTW :-D

So I spelt tenant wrong if you read my second thread you would see I'm not the landlady just a concerned friend if your going to slam someone for a spelling mistake get your facts correct first. I do my best to help people I care about so if a spelling mistake is the worst thing I do in life shoot me now!!!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1637
      2. What do I do if item is damaged I bought on eBay.710
      3. Biscuit addiction2060
      4. Sold item on eBay from UK - buyer from USA810

See more discussions