Tent and camping advice

22 replies
Found 14th Jun 2009
My oh wants us all to go camping in summer, with our daughter. I have no idea about tents, being a woman I am quite worrid about where I will striaghten/blowdry my hair etc!!! Also worried about safety. Anyone here been camping? I have never been!!

Also, need advice on a tent, had quick look in Halfords today although was bit confused by them all. My oh says we need a 6 man tent for the 3 of us, but not really sure!

Any help be great, thanks!

23 Comments

Get gas straighteners! This is the most important piece of camping kit. Everything else will pale into insignificance!

If I was going camping then I'd be going to enjoy myself and make sure my kids had a good time, not worrying about what the cows thought of my un straightened hair. :roll:

You can either get an electric hook up, which means you can take hairdryer, straightners and a kettle and use these in the tent, or the shower rooms normally have plugs for doing your hair, but you might have to queue with a load of other scary pre make up hair do ladies in their jamas lol

oh on the couple of occasions i've been it's been safe, but we have tended to lock anything of value in the car...camping is mostly based on trust

With regard to tent size, you should aim to get a family size tent, but be aware that you will need to be able to put it up! (The bigger the tent the harder it gets!). I have a six man tent (Outwell Montana 6) that is massive, and my teenage daughter & I can put it up OK, although having extra hands does make it much easier. However, we do a lot of camping, so we are seasoned tent erectors. Whatever tent you buy, practise at home a few times so that you are sure of what you need to do to put it up - a rainy or dark night at the campsite is NOT the time to start reading the instructions!

Also, you may hear mention of different 'seasons' for tents - basically a '4 season' tent is good for all year round camping, and a '1 season' tent is good only for the summer.

Forgot to add, camping is perfectly safe - just take the same precautions as you would anywhere else i.e. don't leave valuables lying around, don't flaunt your gold & diamond jewellry etc.

Oh and as an after thought...take your own pillows and duvets ...blow up beds are cheap as and so comfy, and the bigger the tent the better cos they get really warm at night. You would need two sleeping rooms and maybe a spare room for clothes, towels, beach stuff and food etc. A washing up bowl comes in handy, and a bucket to piddle in, there is something about outdoor sleeping that makes you want to wee the second you open your eyes and if you aren't near a toilet block it's very uncomfortable. Find something distinctive to put on your tent cos coming back in the dark they all look the same. We got battery operated lanterns for ours so it was easy to spot.

get a portaloo. When you ( or your daughter) are needing the loo in the middle of the night, and it's pouring down then having you really appreciate spending £35 on a loo.
Get airbeds and a proper pillow to get a comfy nights sleep. And do go for a larger tent as your husband states although I'd be inclined to borrow rather than fork out a load of money to see if you like it first. Get a tent that you can stand up in as well

bluedave;5490243

get a portaloo. When you ( or your daughter) are needing the loo in the … get a portaloo. When you ( or your daughter) are needing the loo in the middle of the night, and it's pouring down then having you really appreciate spending £35 on a loo.Get airbeds and a proper pillow to get a comfy nights sleep. And do go for a larger tent as your husband states although I'd be inclined to borrow rather than fork out a load of money to see if you like it first. Get a tent that you can stand up in as well

i really would say the only downside of camping is the loo part ...otherwise it's a great experience, my first time was with about 8 other families in Angelsey ...the feeling of rolling out of your tent and walking down the beach at half 6 in the morning is amazing.

Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone! Really helpful. I am not so bothered about my hair really, just that I have really long hair that I wash everyday, and so dont want to go out with wet hair. As long as some electric somewhere thats ok. I been looking at this one:

argos.co.uk/sta…htm

or argos.co.uk/sta…htm

Banned

Pin it back? put it in plates its what my g/f does

lumoruk;5490435

Pin it back? put it in plates its what my g/f does

what are plates ??/ for hair that is ?

queenlush;5490553

dinner plates? lol

Sweetie, just let your hair dry naturally while you're camping x x

I would take a look at gumtree / ebay before buying new. There are always loads of people selling camping stuff. Just make sure it is lightweight material with bendy poles and not the old canvas with rigid poles.

Also, often some good offers / packages with tents + sleeping bags etc. Might not be suitable for icelandic conditions but good as a starter pack.

IMO straightening hair is a waste of time. As you are outside most of the time, it will tend to frizz up unless you tie it up anyway.

We have been camping loads but only recently discovered double sleeping bags for 2 people. So looking forward to our next weekend to try it out AND I have found silk sleeping bag liners so even nicer.

hotukdeals.com/for…571

Friends / family are often willing to lend you all the kit. We borrowed when my sister was on package hols in Spain. It was really useful because it let us work out what the priorities we needed to get and what items could wait. Kids will love it but try and get them talking to other kids on the campsite which will make things a lot easier for you. Chose a campsite with a playground (although I don;t know how old your kids are)

queenlush;5490553

Its plaits ;-) Hair plaits

try to get a tunnel tent they are much easier to put up,campmania.co.uk/Ite…spx, i got electric hookup from ebay for about £25,and dont spend too much money incase you dont like it,we have been going camping every year and we just upgrade when we can afford it

The bigger the tent you get the better x

Original Poster

iglimpse;5490978

Friends / family are often willing to lend you all the kit. We borrowed … Friends / family are often willing to lend you all the kit. We borrowed when my sister was on package hols in Spain. It was really useful because it let us work out what the priorities we needed to get and what items could wait. Kids will love it but try and get them talking to other kids on the campsite which will make things a lot easier for you. Chose a campsite with a playground (although I don;t know how old your kids are)

Thanks!!! My daughter is 7, so def be good to have a playground for her.

If you've never been camping before, why not rent either a tent or a caravan on-site before you go spending on equipment for a style of holiday that might not be for you? When our kids were about the same age as yours we thought we'd try camping as a more budget holiday and bought a secondhand trailer-tent for £150 which was super comfortable if a bit old and tatty (part of its charm) and it gave us many years of fantastic holidays and we just added on little extras to it each year.

grabbit;5491047

Its plaits ;-) Hair plaits

Oooohhhhh!! lol!

DON'T by an electric hook up for £25 off eBay.

You need one with an RDC cutout - around £50 ish .

Hairdryer and straighteners are no problem. Some site have sockets in the shower/toilets for you to use otherwise with EHU you'll be fine.

Tents - you hubby is correct - a 5 or 6 man tent would be good for you. Not a case of the bigger the better though. The more you can afford to spend the better.

Look here ]http//ww…uk/ Join this site and ask all the questions you need they are a really friendly helpful bunch.

its allright for the man, they chill and do nothing, you will spend your hole time running round picking up after them, washing / cleaning / cooking.

not a holiday for you really xx

Try and borrow a tent if you can. When you have totted up all the stuff you are going to need it is going to come in the hundreds.

Camping is not everyones cup of tea, I know people who I thought would love it and they hated it but vice versa also.

If you don't like it that couple of hundred quid is down the drain, even if it is for one night try it first.

I wouldn't get too big a tent either as stated if there are only 2 of you you will get fed up of putting a big tent up.

Have you seen the Morrison's tent deal put up today. That is a good deal if you go ahead with your own 6 man tent.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21132
    2. First batch of original Xbox backwards compatible games11
    3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247657
    4. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 191 ***1328

See more discussions