Groups

Term time holidays - Supreme court ruling due soon......

Editor
    Live stream opinion on HUKD parents Facebook page HERE

Jon Platt from the Isle of Wight who challenged his local education authority after they issued him with a £120 fine for taking his daughter on a 2 week term time holiday to Florida is in the Supreme court today after he won a battle to overturn the fine but the local education authority chose to challenge it. The high court backed him and dismissed the case but the council have taken it further and it is being heard today.

The legal argument centres on the fact that the child had over 90% attendance in the school year the holiday in was taken which is deemed to be a regular attendance record and the actual definition of the term "regular attendance" for that local authority.

Mr Platt is also arguing that unauthorised attendance could be an illness where a Dr's note is not issued and that too could trigger criminal liability on behalf of the parent or parents resulting in what he said could be parents withdrawing their children from the mainstream schools system in order to avoid fines and criminal charges.

The travel industry are also partly to blame as people who have no option but to take their children on holiday in school holiday are sometimes paying 2 or 3 times what the same holiday would cost if it was taken during term time.

As soon as we have a verdict I shall update.

http://e3.365dm.com/17/01/750x563/8c4adc1bfe6904e63f52c84169974b66d05ef95c90c2202400c153731d2c7099_3881382.jpg?20170131111831

Live stream link to votes on the HUKD parents Facebook page HERE

305 Comments

Those taking kids for two weeks holidays wastes taxpayers money, puts more pressure on teachers and pupils to catch up and is only done for economic reasons by parents.
    Should only be allowed where there are clear laid down rules and mitigating circumstances irrespective of previous attendance which is what this case succeeded on.
    Blame the govt they're the first to moan about results then the selfish parents not the LEA or school

The travel industry are also partly to blame as people who have no option … The travel industry are also partly to blame as people who have no option but to take their children on holiday in school holiday are sometimes paying 2 or 3 times what the same holiday would cost if it was taken during term time.

Is that not primarily down to supply and demand? Demand for those limited weeks is so high compared to any other week.

90% attendance doesn't seem very high, thats missing a day every other week, (I know it says 'over' 90% but if it was much higher it would have said something like 'nearly' 95%) so another 10 days off on top of that is rather taking the proverbial!

They should have to pay the fine because it's unacceptable of them taking them for two weeks during term time but if they had taken them a week it would have been a bit more acceptable otherwise others may this is OK for them to do that too

It didn't do previous generations any harm at all. And with Internet available all lesson content should be available online so anyone who missed lessons (holiday, illness whatever) can catch up in their own time.

Should be easier than ever to allow kids a little holiday each year, they may never get one otherwise.
    Edited by: "delusion" 31st Jan

sum786

They should have to pay the fine because it's unacceptable of them … They should have to pay the fine because it's unacceptable of them taking them for two weeks during term time but if they had taken them a week it would have been a bit more acceptable otherwise others may this is OK for them to do that too

You obviously don't have kids or are well off because the cost of taking a family of 4 in my case abroad in school holidays is daylight robbery. I think if the attendance is over 95% then this should be fine or they need to sort out these rip of travel companies or head teachers need to finally act and mix up school holidays which I believe they now have the power to do.
    Edited by: "aazizi" 31st Jan

Going on holiday is also educational.
    Also if the parents are on low income they may feel pressured Keeping Up with the Joneses.

The travel industry are also partly to blame as people who have no … The travel industry are also partly to blame as people who have no option but to take their children on holiday in school holiday are sometimes paying 2 or 3 times what the same holiday would cost if it was taken during term time

This makes it sound as though holidays abroad or otherwise are mandatory and not the luxury which they in fact are.

Personally I don't blame the travel industry. It's business, and it's the forces of supply and demand at work. The government are fully to blame in all of this. School holidays could be staggered across the entire year to alleviate this issue, and help to level out demand, which would in turn level out prices. It would of course mean that the cheaper deals during school term would become less cheap.

WheresMeNuts

Going on holiday is also educational.Also if the parents are on low … Going on holiday is also educational.Also if the parents are on low income they may feel pressured Keeping Up with the Joneses.

There are plenty of holiday places in the uk which are more educational, and much cheaper to visit than say, Benidorm.
    Edited by: "RuudBullit" 31st Jan

RuudBullit

Personally I don't blame the travel industry. It's business, and it's the … Personally I don't blame the travel industry. It's business, and it's the forces of supply and demand at work. The government are fully to blame in all of this. School holidays could be staggered across the entire year to alleviate this issue, and help to level out demand, which would in turn level out prices. It would of course mean that the cheaper deals during school term would become less cheap.

Cant agree more.

I got threatened with a £350 fine if I took my two children out of school two days early.
    I did the right thing and asked the school for permission. Both my children receive awards for high attendance every year too.
    Should have just said they were sick.

richardthompson79

I got threatened with a £350 fine if I took my two children out of school … I got threatened with a £350 fine if I took my two children out of school two days early.I did the right thing and asked the school for permission. Both my children receive awards for high attendance every year too.Should have just said they were sick.

Did you have to prove they were sick, I asked for permission even thou their attendance is well above 95% they have said no.
    Edited by: "aazizi" 31st Jan

No wonder we have a snowflake generation, you stamp your feet hard enough and cry your heart out saying it's not fair to get your own way.

sowotsdis

Those taking kids for two weeks holidays wastes taxpayers money, puts … Those taking kids for two weeks holidays wastes taxpayers money, puts more pressure on teachers and pupils to catch up and is only done for economic reasons by parents.Should only be allowed where there are clear laid down rules and mitigating circumstances irrespective of previous attendance which is what this case succeeded on.Blame the govt they're the first to moan about results then the selfish parents not the LEA or school

completely ridiculous uneducated made up comment. Travel is just as educational then sitting in a classroom. You need to get out more.

So the local council spend thousands and thousands in pursuit of £120. Great to know its money well spent.

RuudBullit

Personally I don't blame the travel industry. It's business, and it's the … Personally I don't blame the travel industry. It's business, and it's the forces of supply and demand at work. The government are fully to blame in all of this. School holidays could be staggered across the entire year to alleviate this issue, and help to level out demand, which would in turn level out prices. It would of course mean that the cheaper deals during school term would become less cheap.

That all sounds good but we all know that should they even out holiday times the foreign hotels will just charge peak summer rates all year round.

I have a holiday booked in may that will result in my boys missing one day of school. One of my children has learning difficulties and struggles in a classroom environment and I have a hands on educational but fun on topic week booked. Fined or otherwise I have no doubt or guilt that they will both gain more from going away that they would have got in one day of school.

airfix

No wonder we have a snowflake generation, you stamp your feet hard enough … No wonder we have a snowflake generation, you stamp your feet hard enough and cry your heart out saying it's not fair to get your own way.

tbf what does the fine do? it doesn't fund education does it?
    its only there to 'teach the parents a lesson'

90% attenndance is 3 weeks or so off isn't it? nothing to be proud of!

Edited by: "brilly" 31st Jan

I can't believe the negative comments on here. For most parents it's the difference between being able to take your children on holiday and not. For a family of five to travel abroad for a week it's approx £1500 in term time. That doubles to £3000 during the summer holidays. In a time where more people are using food banks and struggling to survive, those who have enough extra income to be able to save up enough to go away are being penalised. Something needs to change. The school work needs to be completed and requested in advance, but as long as it's completed where is the harm in taking children out of school?

andyhoyle

I can't believe the negative comments on here. For most parents it's the … I can't believe the negative comments on here. For most parents it's the difference between being able to take your children on holiday and not. For a family of five to travel abroad for a week it's approx £1500 in term time. That doubles to £3000 during the summer holidays. In a time where more people are using food banks and struggling to survive, those who have enough extra income to be able to save up enough to go away are being penalised. Something needs to change. The school work needs to be completed and requested in advance, but as long as it's completed where is the harm in taking children out of school?

Well maybe you should think about this before having three kids?

aazizi

You obviously don't have kids or are well off because the cost of taking … You obviously don't have kids or are well off because the cost of taking a family of 4 in my case abroad in school holidays is daylight robbery. I think if the attendance is over 95% then this should be fine or they need to sort out these rip of travel companies or head teachers need to finally act and mix up school holidays which I believe they now have the power to do.

​I do have a child but it depends where you're going and the age of you're child....it's a luxury for taking them abroad but they can have holidays here in th UK and it's cheaper when a group go together and but doesn't mean they have to take lots of days off and most schools don't mind when children who have a good attendance take a few days off at least telling the school before hand and they normally allow this only in July when there isn't much they miss. I know it costs a lot during term time but if you want to go then if you book in advance it's normally cheaper than near the date and if you don't get holidays due to the school you're child attends holidays abroad are cheaper in easter than in summer

90% attendance is considered acceptable?

for the sake of £120 when he's just saved 2/3 times the cost of the holiday I hope he looses and for all those backing him I'm sure if all your children's teachers decided to just up and leave in the middle of term time you'd soon change your opinion

dafunq

for the sake of £120 when he's just saved 2/3 times the cost of the … for the sake of £120 when he's just saved 2/3 times the cost of the holiday I hope he looses and for all those backing him I'm sure if all your children's teachers decided to just up and leave in the middle of term time you'd soon change your opinion

You hope he loses it all? Pathetic to be honest. It's not about the money, I would support a teachers right to a holiday too at the schools discretion, they would have sufficient cover as they do with long term illness.

To have preference that a child should miss out on holidays completely would put you in the category of person I would never give the time of day... It definitely wasnt that way back when I was at school, and I don't see a generation gap of adults without education roaming the country...
    Edited by: "delusion" 31st Jan

delusion

and I don't see a generation gap of adults without education roaming the … and I don't see a generation gap of adults without education roaming the country...

You just have to read half the posts on misc to know that isn't true!

cdm22

You just have to read half the posts on misc to know that isn't true!

Hah, well I don't know everyone's ages so don't want to presume!

airfix

No wonder we have a snowflake generation, you stamp your feet hard enough … No wonder we have a snowflake generation, you stamp your feet hard enough and cry your heart out saying it's not fair to get your own way.

Or it could be that we in the UK are more divided in wealth than first thought.
    One of the reasons why children get bullied at school.

dafunq

for the sake of £120 when he's just saved 2/3 times the cost of the … for the sake of £120 when he's just saved 2/3 times the cost of the holiday I hope he looses and for all those backing him I'm sure if all your children's teachers decided to just up and leave in the middle of term time you'd soon change your opinion

Teachers choose an occupation that tells them the days & hours they have to work.
    Parents & children don't have a choice!

The travel industry are also partly to blame as people who have no option … The travel industry are also partly to blame as people who have no option but to take their children on holiday

No option? There is at least one other option.

WheresMeNuts

Teachers choose an occupation that tells them the days & hours they have … Teachers choose an occupation that tells them the days & hours they have to work.Parents & children don't have a choice!

,home school?

Yes holidays are luxury but is it a luxury when u need go see a dying relative or need go so them if a accident or some other serious illness has happened the schools aren't interested or should I say the council what the reason is.

tommol

completely ridiculous uneducated made up comment. Travel is just as … completely ridiculous uneducated made up comment. Travel is just as educational then sitting in a classroom. You need to get out more.

A couple of weeks on an all-inclusive holiday in Benidorm watching your parents getting ratted every day must be more educational than school.

Having to take holidays in the peak season is just part of the cost of bringing up children. If you can't afford it, either don't go on holiday or don't have children. Or are those solutions too simple?

Children should be allowed time off for a family holiday during term time. Its not like they are just skiving they are spending quality time with family an poss siblings, seeing new and exciting things, learning new cultures etc. Long lasting memories and knowledge of things some may never get to see. I have got two holidays booked during term time, im not afraid to admit it. My daughters attendance is above 95%. My daughter has a mental illness so a holiday for her is a much deserved break. And as for those saying go on holiday in UK its cheaper, not necessarily. My sister in law stayed in a caravan in wales for a week and it cost them £800 that wasnt including food,days out, fuel etc!

Termtimeholidaysareforme

Children should be allowed time off for a family holiday during term … Children should be allowed time off for a family holiday during term time. Its not like they are just skiving they are spending quality time with family an poss siblings, seeing new and exciting things, learning new cultures etc. Long lasting memories and knowledge of things some may never get to see. I have got two holidays booked during term time, im not afraid to admit it. My daughters attendance is above 95%. My daughter has a mental illness so a holiday for her is a much deserved break. And as for those saying go on holiday in UK its cheaper, not necessarily. My sister in law stayed in a caravan in wales for a week and it cost them £800 that wasnt including food,days out, fuel etc!

​just on your last point, can you take a family abroad for less than £800?

shadey12

​just on your last point, can you take a family abroad for less than £800?

​Yes if it's in term time definitely

Termtimeholidaysareforme

Children should be allowed time off for a family holiday during term … Children should be allowed time off for a family holiday during term time. Its not like they are just skiving they are spending quality time with family an poss siblings, seeing new and exciting things, learning new cultures etc. Long lasting memories and knowledge of things some may never get to see. I have got two holidays booked during term time, im not afraid to admit it. My daughters attendance is above 95%. My daughter has a mental illness so a holiday for her is a much deserved break. And as for those saying go on holiday in UK its cheaper, not necessarily. My sister in law stayed in a caravan in wales for a week and it cost them £800 that wasnt including food,days out, fuel etc!

have to agree , i went haven a few years ago and cost more than a week abroad .

MynameisM

​Yes if it's in term time definitely

​solution for you, get a petition started, open schools for more weeks in the year for longer hours and have flexible holidays.
    it would save parents having to sort childminders out at the same time.

WheresMeNuts

Teachers choose an occupation that tells them the days & hours they have … Teachers choose an occupation that tells them the days & hours they have to work.Parents & children don't have a choice!

I disagree Parents choose to be parents and accepted that the times are also applicable to them by having them, and when signed up for the school accepted that they would adhere to the rules of the school

What's the ruling anyway is it pay 120 fine and u can go in term time I'd rather do that than the child with no school place for next 6-8 months as some schools do saying there no places left funny nobody cares the children are out of school for that long and if they miss 1 or 2 weeks all he'll breaks loose.

Also if the school closes for more than 1 week due to snow or heating not working it's all fine. the school system is very stupid children as young as 3 or 4 upto age 16 are sent out in temperatures as low as minus 5 degrees if there's not too much snow or rain or ice on the play ground. Thid then they causes illness. schools blame parents for keeping children out of school for illness at home. or if a child vomits in school he is sent home and told not to come back for 48 hours. it's a no win situation for parents. first they say don't take days off then when u force a sick child go school they send hom home go to the doctors surgery and they tell u there's no appointments left come back again tommorow and school ask for proof of doctors appointment the one u can't get, what do u geniuses do about all these issues.

Why is it not child negligence if schools.throw kids out on the play ground in freezing wether but they can't open a school if the heating broke and the temperature is still quite decent. in the old days there was none of this malachy.

schools let u go abroad provided u did the work that was going to be missed. the children didn't get throw out in the rain and cold wether on breaks. less illnesses happend and the doctors didn't have stupid rules of ring at 8am and we won't answer ur call at 8.15am we will pick up and say all appointments are gone ring back 1pm and the same story over and over. if the heating was down u just out ur coat on and did ur work.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains109
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1010
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2121

See more discussions