Terminating BT broadband/phone contract early

Posted 26th Sep
Can anybody give me a bit of advice.I’m nearly a year into my 18m BT contract.I used to get over 50Mbps and not for the first time this year I’m getting nearly 5Mbps.I’ve done all the usual rubbish resetting the hub etc.The hub has always had the necessary blue light.I’m getting a bit hacked off with their service to be honest.On a separate note I’m getting bombarded by fraudulent BT calls.Ended up unplugging the phone on several occasions.
Anyway because of the poor speeds I keep getting can I terminate my contract early without additional costs?Has anybody done it?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
BT are part of the ofcom code of practice so they will have quoted you a minimum guaranteed access line speed at the point of sale. If they dont deliver it you have to allow them reasonable access to fix it (including sending Openreach) but if they cant you can walk away.

Id go back to your original agreement and see what this speed was - this wont be the 50mbps you used to get but it shouldnt be far away from it
I’ve had an engineer out 6 times in 4 months. Poor internet and frequent drop outs and speed down to 3mbps when It should be 50mbps. On my last call to them (I’ve had around 10 calls) they brought up getting to the point of cancelling the contract without recourse because of the problems. So next time it goes down I’ll be doing that as we’ve just had fibre to the door installed in our street and I’ll use that.

How many times have they been out to look at your issue?
carlsaunders126/09/2019 21:23

I’ve had an engineer out 6 times in 4 months. Poor internet and frequent d …I’ve had an engineer out 6 times in 4 months. Poor internet and frequent drop outs and speed down to 3mbps when It should be 50mbps. On my last call to them (I’ve had around 10 calls) they brought up getting to the point of cancelling the contract without recourse because of the problems. So next time it goes down I’ll be doing that as we’ve just had fibre to the door installed in our street and I’ll use that. How many times have they been out to look at your issue?

They’ve not physically been out as yet as the problem comes and goes randomly.Just done another speed test and it’s down to 0.3mbps.If it’s like the other occasions it will be back to speed tomorrow and then it will no doubt happen again in a few weeks
scorpio.iscariot26/09/2019 22:27

They’ve not physically been out as yet as the problem comes and goes r …They’ve not physically been out as yet as the problem comes and goes randomly.Just done another speed test and it’s down to 0.3mbps.If it’s like the other occasions it will be back to speed tomorrow and then it will no doubt happen again in a few weeks

It’s very similar to how mine has been to be honest.

I have drop outs, then it would come back but slower. Then it drop out again until I got down to sod all speed. Than if it was stable I’d reset the router a few hours later and it’s back up to full speed again.

They have found and fixed a couple of faults on my line which has improved it, but it still underperforms.

That said, they were out in Tuesday for me, I’ve had stable and fast broadband since then but fully expect it to start playing up again soon.

It’s a pain, so good luck with trying to sort yours out. If you want to cancel with them I dare say they’ll want to come and test, poke around and rule out any other issues.

Ps. I’ve had 3 routers as well to rule that out.
Sounds like you have or had a fault on your line, your router stats would give you an idea, what's your sync speed in your router say? if it's good then your ip profile might be set low or even stuck, so would need to be reset, pointless though if you still have a fault.

If it's because of a fault your going to get the same problem no matter who your with, it's probably only a fault between your house and the cabinet on the copper lines which they can easily test, or it could be internal, do you have extensions? if you do try the test socket.

Get them out they should be able to solve your problem.

You can see your profile by using the test below

speedtest.btwholesale.com/
Edited by: "4Real2016" 26th Sep
Is your dropline (incoming line feed) exposed such as pole to property? Not uncommon for wind / rain to cause seemingly random issues with aged droplines. Less common if line enters property via ground channel, although moisture-related issues are still possible with that mechanism.
If you use Speedtest by Ookla, make sure you log in and do a test at least once a day. This saves a record of your speeds, I did this and TalkTalk accepted it as proof that the speeds were not consistent.

This helps when your speeds are up and down because sods law when they test it will happen to be an up day!
Satan_Claws27/09/2019 07:59

If you use Speedtest by Ookla, make sure you log in and do a test at least …If you use Speedtest by Ookla, make sure you log in and do a test at least once a day. This saves a record of your speeds, I did this and TalkTalk accepted it as proof that the speeds were not consistent.This helps when your speeds are up and down because sods law when they test it will happen to be an up day!

Or try testmy.net you can sign in and run tests as often as every 5 minutes with an adjustable number of tests possible, you can select just download, upload or both and you'll be emailed with the results link when finished.

I've been using for 6 weeks and have a lovely graph of all my speeds for 6000+ tests. My ISP didn't have a leg to stand on when I showed them the results.
360finder27/09/2019 08:09

Or try testmy.net you can sign in and run tests as often as every 5 …Or try testmy.net you can sign in and run tests as often as every 5 minutes with an adjustable number of tests possible, you can select just download, upload or both and you'll be emailed with the results link when finished.I've been using for 6 weeks and have a lovely graph of all my speeds for 6000+ tests. My ISP didn't have a leg to stand on when I showed them the results.

Unless the ISP shows you acceptable connection logs from your own router, which may make you legless
AndyRoyd27/09/2019 21:48

Unless the ISP shows you acceptable connection logs from your own router, …Unless the ISP shows you acceptable connection logs from your own router, which may make you legless

Perhaps perhaps. But was really just to show the huge fluctuations in speeds. As low as 0.01Mbps and as high as 56Mbps within 4 hours!

This was with Three. I do believe their mobile broadband is the future but it's just not ready for me yet.

Contract is now cancelled, though I can keep the device to return in the future, and £200+ credited back to me!

Worth keeping evidence, tit for tat and all that!
360finder27/09/2019 21:58

Perhaps perhaps. But was really just to show the huge fluctuations in …Perhaps perhaps. But was really just to show the huge fluctuations in speeds. As low as 0.01Mbps and as high as 56Mbps within 4 hours!This was with Three. I do believe their mobile broadband is the future but it's just not ready for me yet. Contract is now cancelled, though I can keep the device to return in the future, and £200+ credited back to me!Worth keeping evidence, tit for tat and all that!

Issue aside: respect to you for obtaining a result, and respect to 3 for some excellent CS. Most of my family use 3 as their ISP. They don't mention any issues like yours, but as each one of them is paying less than £10/m for unlim 4G I suspect they may show some tolerance to any occasional unexpected sub-standard service.
AndyRoyd27/09/2019 22:05

Issue aside: respect to you for obtaining a result, and respect to 3 for …Issue aside: respect to you for obtaining a result, and respect to 3 for some excellent CS. Most of my family use 3 as their ISP. They don't mention any issues like yours, but as each one of them is paying less than £10/m for unlim 4G I suspect they may show some tolerance to any occasional unexpected sub-standard service.

It took a whole lot of pushing, and a few mentions of the hassle that ofcom/ombudsman would cause us both, when the likely decision would be fix it or terminate.

Main issues around a family of 5 trying to access a SIM that can really only still handle a single connection.

It could handle one device demand at a time to a point, had to schedule Xbox installs for between 3-7am but when SD streaming became an issue with only one thing connected that was the last straw really.

I'd love to think they have it fixed by the time my 12 months with Virgin is up.

They claim that the issue is with my local mast, but that they have tried a software fix, the issue is with hardware and really needs a 'full replacement or re-site"

Still looking at ~£8pm for 100Mbps Virgin after cashback and bill credit, top that with Three's credit and I'm free for a year with some profit and a free 4G Alexa router. Win win!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants