Terrorist attack in Portland on train

Found 27th May 2017
Awful news from US

dailymail.co.uk/new…tml

A man who was yelling 'anti-Muslim' slurs at two young women on a light-rail train fatally slashed the throats of two men and injured a third person when they tried to intervene, police said.
The suspect was arrested after he ran off the train at the Hollywood transit station in Portland, Oregon. Police have not released his or the victims' names, theOregonian reported.
The attacker was 'yelling a gamut of anti-Muslim and anti-everything slurs' before he turned his focus on the women, one of whom was wearing a hijab, police Sgt. Pete Simpson said.
After the suspect attacked the victims, he reportedly said, 'This is free America, I can do whatever I want' one witness toldKOMO news.
One victim was dead at the scene and while another died at a hospital, Simpson said. The third person was taken to a hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Community Updates
MiscToy Train
Top comments
no it was a man attack. not a terrorist attack. you must have got mixed up.
40 Comments
no it was a man attack. not a terrorist attack. you must have got mixed up.
davewave

People died at the hands of a hateful man, terrorist affiliation or not … People died at the hands of a hateful man, terrorist affiliation or not it doesn't make me happy - seems to have got you excitable?

​I agree with your sentiment and in a way glad that you have highlighted this incident.
This is terrible attack media will make anything they want or suit!!!
TheAccountant12

What a shame Dave. Not a terrorist attack at all. Just a random racist … What a shame Dave. Not a terrorist attack at all. Just a random racist nutter with a knife. Much to your disappointment

​I think your comment is pretty shameful on this thread.
shadey12

I think your comment is pretty shameful on this thread.

Looks like you're not the only one to think that.

Interesting this isn't front page news. A known 'Nazi supporting white supremacist' jumping on a train, shouting slurs at people, brandishing a knife, stabbing and slitting people is by definition: terrorism. Regardless of wider affiliation or not. Innocent civilians were terrorised today.

terrorism the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially … terrorism the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

a3lawy

Interesting this isn't front page news. A known 'Nazi supporting white … Interesting this isn't front page news. A known 'Nazi supporting white supremacist' jumping on a train, shouting slurs at people, brandishing a knife, stabbing and slitting people is by definition: terrorism. Regardless of wider affiliation or not. Innocent civilians were terrorised today.

Guess Manchester is bigger news, closer to home and affected so many British people. Probably big news in US?
a3lawy

Interesting this isn't front page news. A known 'Nazi supporting white … Interesting this isn't front page news. A known 'Nazi supporting white supremacist' jumping on a train, shouting slurs at people, brandishing a knife, stabbing and slitting people is by definition: terrorism. Regardless of wider affiliation or not. Innocent civilians were terrorised today.

It probably is front page news in portland. I'll bet there have been double murders in the UK that haven't made the front page.
deeky

It probably is front page news in portland. I'll bet there have been … It probably is front page news in portland. I'll bet there have been double murders in the UK that haven't made the front page.

If you google it , although it was Friday in Portland it was early hours Saturday GMT so was to late for any newsprint in Europe hence not in todays rags

It's all over most media websites

oregonlive.com/por…tml
Edited by: "livinthedream" 27th May 2017
Definitely a terrorist attack by definition. The definition has been swayed for the last 10 years or so but it's clear enough. The unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims. If he was a white supremacist then that's enough to warrant him a terrorist.
a3lawy

Put the card away for the time being as although it was Friday in Portland it was early hours Saturday GMT so was to late for any newsprint in Europe hence not in todays rags
larrylightweight

Definitely a terrorist attack by definition. The definition has been … Definitely a terrorist attack by definition. The definition has been swayed for the last 10 years or so but it's clear enough. The unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims. If he was a white supremacist then that's enough to warrant him a terrorist.

"It's not clear why the man was yelling," Simpson said.

"He was talking about a lot of different things, not just specifically anti-Muslim," Simpson said.

"We don't know if he's got mental health issues," Simpson said. "We don't know if he's under the influence of drugs or alcohol or all of the above."
oregonlive.com/por…tml
Why was my comment removed? Weird.
Try not to get your 'news' from the Daily Mail or Mail Online........it's rarely going to be accurate and it's always going to be slanted. Even Wikipedia won't accept the Mail as a reliable source!
larrylightweight

Definitely a terrorist attack by definition. The definition has been … Definitely a terrorist attack by definition. The definition has been swayed for the last 10 years or so but it's clear enough. The unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims. If he was a white supremacist then that's enough to warrant him a terrorist.

If he was affiliated to a White Supremacist organisation and acting for political reasons, then I certainly support that assertion. It was some random nutter who's just flipped, then I agree its frightening, but it doesn't make him a terrorist. I dont know the facts, so on the fence until facts are published.
deeky

Looks like you're not the only one to think that.

​only noticed other comments after I posted.
Police said it "would best be characterised as hate speech toward a variety of ethnicities and religions".
shadey12

only noticed other comments after I posted.

I was referring to his shiny new red badge X)
davewave

\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09Awful news from … \x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09Awful news from UShttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4547014/Police-Man-hurling-racial-slurs-kills-2-injures-1-train.htmlA man who was yelling 'anti-Muslim' slurs at two young women on a light-rail train fatally slashed the throats of two men and injured a third person when they tried to intervene, police said.The suspect was arrested after he ran off the train at the Hollywood transit station in Portland, Oregon. Police have not released his or the victims' names, theOregonian reported.The attacker was 'yelling a gamut of anti-Muslim and anti-everything slurs' before he turned his focus on the women, one of whom was wearing a hijab, police Sgt. Pete Simpson said.After the suspect attacked the victims, he reportedly said, 'This is free America, I can do whatever I want' one witness toldKOMO news.One victim was dead at the scene and while another died at a hospital, Simpson said. The third person was taken to a hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

how much is your annual pay and bonus for each report? Would you like to job share ?
john184

Police said it "would best be characterised as hate speech toward a … Police said it "would best be characterised as hate speech toward a variety of ethnicities and religions".

What did any US$250,000 /yr psychologist expert say?
deleted1431257
yeahbutitsnotfree

no it was a man attack. not a terrorist attack. you must have got mixed … no it was a man attack. not a terrorist attack. you must have got mixed up.

What's that other phrase people like him use.... "not all attacks are from terrorists but all terrorists are Muslim"?
deeky

Guess after the way they called Dave out and the fact that they were "new" means they have more than one of those badges and will be back soon.
I'm sure the above comments were not aimed to insult dave. just question why he would add 'terrorisk attack'. terrorism wasn't mentioned in the daily mail article. nor the BBC coverage. dave even copied and pasted large sections of text directly from the website so why change the title. whether it's defined as terrorism or not, maybe the above posters thought dave added inflammatory words needlessly. perhaps dave can reply whether he would have added 'terrorist attack' if Manchester hadn't happened?
cmncomp

I'm sure the above comments were not aimed to insult dave. just question … I'm sure the above comments were not aimed to insult dave. just question why he would add 'terrorisk attack'. terrorism wasn't mentioned in the daily mail article. nor the BBC coverage. dave even copied and pasted large sections of text directly from the website so why change the title. whether it's defined as terrorism or not, maybe the above posters thought dave added inflammatory words needlessly. perhaps dave can reply whether he would have added 'terrorist attack' if Manchester hadn't happened?

​a white supremacist kills people shouting racist obscenities, seems like it was a terrorist attack even if the DM didn't mention the word.

I didn't ask permission from anyone or from the Daily Mail before adding the words but thought it was a fair addition, I also added the words...awful news.

Is it offensive to white supremacists that I referred to this attacker as a terrorist?
cmncomp

I'm sure the above comments were not aimed to insult dave. just question … I'm sure the above comments were not aimed to insult dave. just question why he would add 'terrorisk attack'. terrorism wasn't mentioned in the daily mail article. nor the BBC coverage. dave even copied and pasted large sections of text directly from the website so why change the title. whether it's defined as terrorism or not, maybe the above posters thought dave added inflammatory words needlessly. perhaps dave can reply whether he would have added 'terrorist attack' if Manchester hadn't happened?

Is ere really a need for that sort of comment wasn't that put to bed hours ago. an earlier article actually stated a terroist attack as well.
"Police have identified the suspect as JeremyJoseph Christian, 35. He has been charged with offences including aggravated murder, attempted murder, intimidation and being a felon in possession of a restricted weapon. "

his name has a religious background, can i say religion of peace like some do in here ???

rip, 2 lives lost, 1 injured and many would have been shaken.
LOL, "name has a religious background".
It doesn't quite work like that.
john184

LOL, "name has a religious background". It doesn't quite work like that.

​careful, it looks like you chose and are are using a religious name to me, however what really would seal the deal is, do you have any friends called Matthew, Mark or Luke?
RIP Taliesin Namkai-Meche and Ricky John Best

http://media.oregonlive.com/portland_impact/photo/taliesin-myrddin-namkai-mechejpg-9272b89031c9292a.jpg

http://media.oregonlive.com/portland_impact/photo/rick-best-84bd4e4ffac8a9db.jpg
deeky

I think he's about to get another couple!

iwashere2000

"Police have identified the suspect as JeremyJoseph Christian, 35. He has … "Police have identified the suspect as JeremyJoseph Christian, 35. He has been charged with offences including aggravated murder, attempted murder, intimidation and being a felon in possession of a restricted weapon. " his name has a religious background, can i say religion of peace like some do in here ??? rip, 2 lives lost, 1 injured and many would have been shaken.

That's pretty desperate even by sympathiser standards. Besides, how many suicide bombers are called Mohammed?

I guess if he'd changed his Christian name to Jesus, you might have a point, so it just reeks of desperation to be honest, though I do wonder if the fact you have a "Christian" name makes you a white supremacist?
hass123

What's that other phrase people like him use.... "not all attacks are … What's that other phrase people like him use.... "not all attacks are from terrorists but all terrorists are Muslim"?

​i was being sarcastic, I liked the way the op mentioned it as a terrorist attack. Just when you read the article and it says nothing about terrorism does it get kind of weird because it is most definitely terrorism.
3dprince

I think he's about to get another couple! That's pretty desperate even by … I think he's about to get another couple! That's pretty desperate even by sympathiser standards. Besides, how many suicide bombers are called Mohammed?I guess if he'd changed his Christian name to Jesus, you might have a point, so it just reeks of desperation to be honest, though I do wonder if the fact you have a "Christian" name makes you a white supremacist?

​don't stoop so low!
of course Christian have Christian names and same with muslims and so on.
Surely genuine terrorist attacks have to be planned and premeditated. I can't think of one that wasn't. The fact the authority and officials aren't using the term to describe it, apart from those on here trying to make a facile political point, tells you that it isn't.

It's a racist nutter that has gone berserk on the train after an argument; hate crime. Not a terrorist doing it specifically in the name of some cause.
Sad news that two people travelling on a train just getting on with their day to day had their time cut short by a nutter Hopefully the accused will be put to sleep soon
treble99

Sad news that two people travelling on a train just getting on with their … Sad news that two people travelling on a train just getting on with their day to day had their time cut short by a nutter Hopefully the accused will be put to sleep soon

​agreed
He set out with an agenda to kill people, imo he's a terrorist. Terrorists are also mentally ill.
i must say davewave needs a medal .
the news have confirmed he is a extremist, he is a member of kkk andhe made a nazi salute in a video and more checks are going on.
xenophon

Surely genuine terrorist attacks have to be planned and premeditated. I … Surely genuine terrorist attacks have to be planned and premeditated. I can't think of one that wasn't. The fact the authority and officials aren't using the term to describe it, apart from those on here trying to make a facile political point, tells you that it isn't. It's a racist nutter that has gone berserk on the train after an argument; hate crime. Not a terrorist doing it specifically in the name of some cause.

But one Muslim man did the same in the London tube last year and he was called a terrorist instead of a racist nutter he was running around thrashing a knife I'm failing to understand what the difference is. But i'm certainly not sticking up for one group or the other they both terrified or killed people on rail networks and they both hated the others religion or way of life.
TheAccountant12

What a shame Dave. Not a terrorist attack at all. Just a random racist … What a shame Dave. Not a terrorist attack at all. Just a random racist nutter with a knife. Much to your disappointment

Agreed.
deeky

Yeah it was a bit bizarre. Why would you be disappointed if it's not a … Yeah it was a bit bizarre. Why would you be disappointed if it's not a terrorist attack?

Totally disagree
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants