Tesco and eBay set to ban Baby Sleep Positioners due to Suffocation Risk in Babies

Editor 2
Found 5th Oct 2017
This is so worrying, these baby sleep positioners have become really popular lately.

The FDA in the US has just warned parents that baby sleep positioners could cause their newborns to suffocate and has been linked to at least TWELVE deaths of newborns in the US.

You can find the full statement from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the US

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is reminding parents and caregivers not to put babies in sleep positioners. These products—sometimes also called “nests” or “anti-roll” products—can cause suffocation (a struggle to breathe) that can lead to death.

The two most common types of sleep positioners feature raised supports or pillows (called “bolsters”) that are attached to each side of a mat, or a wedge to raise a baby’s head. The positioners are intended to keep a baby in a specific position while sleeping and are intended for infants under 6 months old."

Video released by FDA as reminder for safe sleep practices

These sleep positioners are available at LOTS of top retailers across the UK and US and it seems there was the FDA warned way back in 2010 that they were 'too dangerous to use'.

The Daily Mail contacted some of the retailers who sell these items and have had responses from eBay and Tesco who have said they will no longer sell them.

You can find more info at the Daily Mail
Community Updates
Misc
2 Comments
Oh wow I have been using the sleepyhead since birth do you think that classifies as a baby positioner?
Ive seen online that Sleepyheads are ok because they aren't positioners and should not be used once they can roll over... The issue with the positioners from what I have been reading is them being used when babies can roll and ending up in the wrong position in them..... I have just brought a sleepyhead for my baby so going to message them anyway just to be sure
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants